Translate

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Feeling nostalgic...



 

This morning I was cleaning some dishes and was reminiscing over a mixing bowl that I had just used to make pancakes.  It was given to me by a dear friend that passed on several years ago. I still think of her every time I use it... and several other things she had given me over the years. Nothing big... all little necessary kitchen items like a cookie spatula, cooling rack, etc.  We also used to walk once a week over in the park and I'd bring coffee or tea in a thermos and she's bring graham crackers. It's funny how you miss those little every day things. 

I also have several other things that friends have given me that I use a lot... and make me think of them (although they are still with us thank goodness). And of course there are the things that belonged to my mom or a family member that also hold 'special memories'.  The thing is... they aren't anything big or expensive... but the memories are priceless.

Our oldest son and his wife just left this morning after spending a week here visiting. They live in Texas too, but are about 8 hours away so we don't get to see them often. Perhaps this is the reason for my nostalgia? It was great spending time with them.


Their 2 Doodles in Son's Car

Oh, we did have one exciting incident happen while they were here. We were in the Mall and had stopped at Eataly's to order pizza to take home.  While waiting, the Mall Fire Alarm went off and the loud speaker said for everyone to quickly find their way to the nearest exit. Well... we had paid for the pizzas and weren't about to leave without them, so we just stood there... looking around at everyone else. Many that were sitting there eating didn't leave (some did). We could see people in the main area walkways leaving, but while we stood there, I was thinking "I don't even know where the nearest exit is..." Anyway, after 2 Fire Alarm announcements in about 5 minutes, they said, "False Alarm"... so luckily, no problem.

Today, being Saturday and no more company for a bit (at least not until Thanksgiving probably), we are winding down. DH is stuffing peppers today and I'm catching up on water-coloring my sketches.  We've basically had company all summer... and loved it... but it's kept us busier than our normal laid back routine. And with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas around the corner... we could use some 'down time'.

Here's a picture of some of my newly water-colored sketches. These came out OK... for the most part... since I've had no instruction in water-coloring... but love playing around with it.





 

The one I'm working on now (ruining probably) is the dog with the frog on his nose (having a bit of trouble with that one - but haven't given up yet). 



 

Oh well, enough of that... I'm finding that you have to let each layer dry before adding another color... so it takes days for me to see if I like the effect. If anyone is good at water-coloring out there, I'm up for any advice.


Going to close this now and go make a cup of tea. Irish Breakfast Tea is my favorite. Hope you all have a lovely weekend. It's a tiny bit cooler this morning here (hurray!). 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

great pic!



18 comments:

  1. I so understand the memories that those simple implements hold. I LOVE your art work. And look forward to seeing more.
    And a big YES to needing down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. The memories seem to be ingrained in the implements.
      As for the art work, it may not be the greatest, but... I do find joy in the process.

      Delete
  2. I especially love the frog and turtle having a conversation. And I too am appreciating a bit cooler weather. It's almost perfect here right now. It's always so lovely to get a post from your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. It's not an original sketch. I copied it from "Frog and Toad"... a children's book that has lovely illustrations. I still buy children's books with watercolor illustrations that speak to me.
      And you're probably experiencing 'cooler' weather than us... but I'll take anything that is even slightly cool. DH and I actually took a walk around the neighborhood today. It's been a while since we've been able to do that.

      Delete
  3. I know nothing of water color, but I do like your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I know nothing of weaving, but I love your towels...

      Delete
  4. Your artwork is lovely. The sketches are cute and when coloured are just sweet. I can envision these in a baby's nursery.
    Enjoy your down time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. I did have some in my kids' rooms when they were small.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely wonderful sketches and painting. You should be teaching the class! You even have varying shades within the painting of critter parts. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DM. I do better with sketching than painting... but I'll keep at it... practice may not make perfect, but it does help.

      Delete
  6. I love your water-colour sketches, Rian. I'm hopeless at any kind of drawing or painting, even if I'm just copying what's right in front of me. Poor eye-hand co-ordination, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy... for your comment and also for visiting my blog. I checked out yours and left a comment too. Loved Wales when we visited.

      Delete
  7. i think your art is beautiful!! non-cookiecutter, that's what you want, it is one of a kind!! we were in a mall once where someone had taken out a gun. people were running and yelling...it was very scary!! anyway the point is, we had finished eating but had not paid. everyone else ran out and we did too. there was a kid, in the mall, with a gun, so we did the right thing. i googled it when we got home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. As for the Mall Alarm... I have to say, the gun would win out over the Fire Alarm for sure... we would have left immediately.

      Delete
  8. Hi Rian! Oh wow! You are such a talented artist. I am very impressed. Sending you hugs and aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet, Kay... I've never called myself an artist although I do love to create things (sketches, pottery, stories, etc.) Thanks for the hugs and aloha!

      Delete
  9. When family returns to their home after visiting it's always an empty nest feeling all over again , sadly.
    Beautiful work on your water colors, you are a talented lady !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. 2 of our 3 still live in Texas, but 5-8 hours away. However, our youngest son and his family live in Rockwall... only about 30 mins away... so we don't get too lonely. And thanks for the compliment. Sketching is not too difficult. But the watercolors are definitely a work in progress.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...