Translate

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Crows, Books, and other trivial things...

 

fake crows  - hoping to attract real ones

I put out peanuts in the shell as well as apple peelings every day. Something is eating them... probably squirrels. But I'm hoping to attract some of the crows I see in the area to our yard. 





I mentioned books since they play a large part in my life... always have. I read 2-3 books a week... and am at a loss when I run out. Thank goodness for Kindle on my iPhone. It's my 'go to' when I run out of the real thing. 

Right now I have 4 - all picked up at the Senior Center. The one I'm reading at the moment is "The Echo of Old Books" and it's good. The other 3 are: "Good Grief", "The Rhythm Section", and "The Painter's Daughters"... all look good, but won't know till I get into those pages.

I find books very subjective. I want a good story... but nothing horrific or depressing. It's true that some do have hard times, but as long as that is not the main theme of the story, I can handle it. Guess I tend to like ones that have a little humor and mystery... the mystery can be crime related, or science, or family - as long as the characters are likable and believable.

Some books on the best sellers list or even those recommended by Oprah aren't my type of read. And I do read almost anything... but mostly fiction. My type of book is one I can't wait to get back to. So, yes, very subjective. 

My own 2 self-published books "Time After Time" and "Carrick Cove" are like this in that they're simply a good story about good people. Add in a little mystery, a bookstore, and good food... and that's all I need. Not everyone's taste, I'm sure. But that's OK. I enjoyed writing them and am over the moon that many have enjoyed reading them.




Now for other trivial things: 

Still playing around with sketching and water-coloring - no great progress there. 

Still playing around with Nintendo Switch's Animal Crossing with my youngest granddaughter. That game can go on forever... keep learning new things it can do. 

She also recently introduced me to another video game called Little Kitty Big City which is fascinating... not only the simple game theme which is to get the little black cat who has fallen from his high apartment window back up there - but the technology involved and how it works. Maybe just being a Baby Boomer (1945) makes me appreciate the intricacies involved in these games.  

Watched some good movies and series lately (and some not so good). The Perfect Couple (Prime) was a good series. The King's Daughter (Prime) was a good movie. Neither was spectacular... but enjoyable - again - subjective. One of my old favorite movies that I recently watched again was "Dragonfly" (Prime).

We also listened to a talk (one at the Senior Center and one on TV) about AI - another fascinating and controversial subject. 


And for something 'not so trivial'... the November Presidential Election. 


Boy, does my gut instinct play a part in this...


And here is where I land:




Life goes on... (at least we hope it does - or will)


Hugs,

Rian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...