I know that's a silly title, but it's true for me. I avoided guacamole ever since I had it in a restaurant once and it made my mouth burn. Didn't know if I was allergic to one of the ingredients or just too spicey. But I love avocados! I eat a half of one almost every lunch.
Anyway, a few weeks ago, I decided to just try to make my own guacamole... using just avocado, red onion, garlic, tomato, sea salt and lime or lemon (definitely no cilantro - tastes awful to me). And it's great! Now I make it every week and we eat it with chips or on toast.
![]() |
| getting ingrediets together... |
![]() |
| adding avocado and tomato... |
![]() |
| Finished guacamole!! |
Another thing I've learned lately is how to make alternate oatmeal. I eat oatmeal (in one form or another) every morning - ever since I tried it to lower cholesterol (which wasn't high... but was getting close). And it worked! My next cholesterol test was lower! But one gets tired of eating the same thing every morning.
So when I saw them make "British Flapjacks" on The Great British Baking Show", I decided that this would be a great alternative to regular oatmeal. And they're very good... more like oat granola bars than what we would call flapjacks, but taste great (I add chocolate chips and pecans).
And there's another oatmeal alternate that's good. If you don't care for the texture of oatmeal (soggy?), well... you can make baked oatmeal. I found this on Joanna Gaines cooking show. She makes it for her family... called maple pecan baked oatmeal. I tried this and it's also very good.
At the moment, I can only eat the soggy oatmeal in the morning to which I add cream and sugar - my dental procedure (removing an old bridge that had a decay under it and replacing it) Thursday has made my mouth too sore for anything but soft food for a few days. I won't go into how that went - but to me it was traumatic. The dentist and his technician were wonderful and kind. I just can't tolerate stress very well... my mind tells me it's silly or stupid to be that fearful, but my body doesn't agree... and my heart beats wildly and hands shake... stupid! I know...
Last post I mentioned things we were trying to get done... hole in ceiling, lawn mowed by someone other than DH, and estimate to extend porch. The first two are done and done... but haven't heard from contractor and it's been 2 weeks. Think I will call on Monday. Even though it's too hot to think about doing the work anytime soon, (it's been triple digits here) we'd still like an estimate.
Guess that's it. Summer is here full force and I imagine it will stay HOT for the next month or so. Temps seem to be gettng hotter all over and that concerns me. If it continues this way, we may be in for some rough times. And the heat is not the only thing, I wonder about the water supply... (but worrying about it is a waste of time). I can only hope/pray that those who do know how to help will do so...
On a lighter note:
Hugs (virtually),
Rian





Rian, I very much enjoyed this post. I LOVE GUACAMOLE. Your photo looked delicious. I buy it every week at my market, but they were out yesterday. Maybe I should try making it like you do. By the way, I don't like cilantro either. To be honest I'm not a big oatmeal fan, but those flavors you wrote about do you sound tempting. And I'm sorry for the stressful dentist appointment, I actually can't blame you at all there as going to the dentist Last Summer reactivated my long covid symptoms which I'm still dealing with. It wasn't the dentist, it was the injections to the face. Anyway, good to hear from you and I was wondering how your eye is doing. And enjoyed the memes. 🙂
ReplyDeleteGuacamole is so easy, Dug. You should try to make your own. You could like it even better than the one you buy.
DeleteAnd the thing about the dentist... besides the anxiety... is that it 'always hurts', the injections, the pokes and prodding, having your jaw open for so long, all of it! I just don't like and find it awful to have people working in my mouth. But I also realize that good dental care is important. And I'm so sorry that yours reactivated your LC.
You asked about my eye... it's still not back to normal... but I can see. It still tears a lot, which makes things blurry... occasionally itches, and stays red around the rim . But it may just take time... or it may just be this way.
Gooosh.... I haven't had guacamole in such a long time. You've made me want some though. As for oatmeal, I make overnight oats just because I'm lazy. I add cinnamon, chia seeds, prunes, dried cranberries and blueberries. But I love the idea of the British flapjacks. I'm going to look that up.
ReplyDeleteKay, both the British flapjacks and the Maple Pecan Baked oatmeal are good! The thing about the British flapjacks is that they are made with Kyle's Golden syrup... which is a British product. You can substitute regular syrup or honey, but it won't taste the same. Luckily we have a British Emporium not far from us and I buy the Kyle's there. It has more of a caramel taste.
DeleteI love the advice between 1pm and September. It is so steamy here too. I hope your dentist procedure is over. I feel the same way - stressed!
ReplyDeleteYour guacamole looks delicious. I prefer my own too. I don't like the spicy restaurant/store bought kind.
The worst of the dental procedure is over (I think). Just have to go back and have them remove the temporary crown and put on the permanent one.
DeleteAs for the guacamole, I think it is the spicy additions at restaurants that I don't like either.
The memes made me smile!
ReplyDeleteLike you, I hardly tolerate the dentist. No matter how much numbing agent they use, I still feel as though the needle with the freezing is reaching into my ear canal or nasal cavity. As a result I only go when I can't avoid it.
I love guacomole (my family does not) - I'll have to try your recipe.
Mae, I go every 6 months for a cleaning, and checked once a year... but I try to take really good care of my teeth so I don't have to go more than that. But it's never easy.
DeleteThere is a gene that some folks have that causes cilantro to taste like soapy water. Yuck! 3 members of our family have this gene and the fourth family member loves cilantro.
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you exactly what cilantro taste to me... but it tastes awful - like something that you shouldn't be eating.
DeleteI don't know how people wat cilantro. It's simply awful---but that's just me.
DeleteI love both those quotes at the end. Hoping you're over the worst of your dental experience and well on the way to being able to eat normally again.
ReplyDeleteGetting there on day 3... although mouth still a little sore.
DeleteMaking guacamole at home without cilantro is the absolute best way to customize it for your taste. So sorry about that tough dental visit, body reactions to intense stress are completely valid regardless of what logic dictates. Wishing you a quick recovery while you stick to soft comfort foods. Hope that porch contractor finally gets back to you after your call tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Melody. And I wish my body would listen to logic rather than react the way it does under stress, but it is what it is. And no, no news from the contractor yet.
Deletei love guacamole with chips. i prefer to make it myself because we don't like it spicy. i do have trouble picking out avocados! that are fresh and ripe. i really like smashed avocado on toast!!
ReplyDeleteDebbie, I buy a 3-pack of large avocados each week... and take one out and put in the fruit bowl... the other 2 go in the frig. Then I use one to make my guacamole. I could use more, but there's only 2 of us and the guacamole will discolor in a few days. And I also like avocados on toast... or just eat a half of one plain at lunch.
Delete