Translate

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Guacamole so easy... who knew?

I know that's a silly title, but it's true for me. I avoided guacamole ever since I had it in a restaurant once and it made my mouth burn. Didn't know if I was allergic to one of the ingredients or just too spicey. But I love avocados! I eat a half of one almost every lunch. 

Anyway, a few weeks ago,  I decided to just try to make my own guacamole... using just avocado, red onion, garlic, tomato, sea salt and lime or lemon (definitely no cilantro - tastes awful to me). And it's great! Now I make it every week and we eat it with chips or on toast.


getting ingrediets together...


adding avocado and tomato...


Finished guacamole!!

Another thing I've learned lately is how to make alternate oatmeal. I eat oatmeal (in one form or another) every morning - ever since I tried it to lower cholesterol (which wasn't high... but was getting close). And it worked! My next cholesterol test was lower! But one gets tired of eating the same thing every morning. 

So when I saw them make "British Flapjacks" on The Great British Baking Show", I decided that this would be a great alternative to regular oatmeal. And they're very good... more like oat granola bars than what we would call flapjacks, but taste great (I add chocolate chips and pecans). 

And there's another oatmeal alternate that's good. If you don't care for the texture of oatmeal (soggy?), well... you can make baked oatmeal. I found this on Joanna Gaines cooking show. She makes it for her family... called maple pecan baked oatmeal. I tried this and it's also very good. 

At the moment, I can only eat the soggy oatmeal in the morning to which I add cream and sugar - my dental procedure (removing an old bridge that had a decay under it and replacing it) Thursday has made my mouth too sore for anything but soft food for a few days. I won't go into how that went - but to me it was traumatic. The dentist and his technician were wonderful and kind. I just can't tolerate stress very well... my mind tells me it's silly or stupid to be that fearful, but my body doesn't agree... and my heart beats wildly and hands shake... stupid! I know... 

Last post I mentioned things we were trying to get done... hole in ceiling, lawn mowed by someone other than DH, and estimate to extend porch. The first two are done and done... but haven't heard from contractor and it's been 2 weeks. Think I will call on Monday. Even though it's too hot to think about doing the work anytime soon, (it's been triple digits here) we'd still like an estimate.

Guess that's it. Summer is here full force and I imagine it will stay HOT for the next month or so. Temps seem to be gettng hotter all over and that concerns me. If it continues this way, we may be in for some rough times. And the heat is not the only thing, I wonder about the water supply... (but worrying about it is a waste of time). I can only hope/pray that those who do know how to help will do so... 

On a lighter note:





Hugs (virtually),

Rian


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...