Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2026

just a little catch-up...

 


It's the weekend (Saturday) and I'm not up to much. But I did a bit of baking this past week, cookies for our neighbor who gave us some phone numbers for service people...  and I experimented with some dinner rolls for us. I've never tried baking dinner rolls before... or working with yeast, but they turned out pretty well. 


cookies for our  neighbor

dinner rolls

I apparently made the dinner rolls bigger than the recipe asked for... as they were supposed to be 24 and I think I only made 16.  But they were light and tasted good. I want to try choux pastry next. There's something called Nun's Puffs that really sound and look good.


I think they are similar to cream puffs... with or without filling.


Later this evening we're heading out to a Mexican restaurant with family for a belated celebration of DH's birthday. Will try to remember to take a picture...


DH's birthday cake

DH is still cutting the lawn. We did have someone come out to give us an estimate, but haven't gotten the estimate yet. 

Same with the porch contractor... still waiting to hear from them. 

Not planning to do much this coming week. Supposed to be all triple digits with 104 for several days. Sure hope they're wrong.

I do have an appointment for some dental work this week. I really dread that... wish I could be less anxious about it, but can't seem to make that happen.


And I will share a picture of a new recipe I found on Pinterest that certainly looks good.  I haven't tried it yet, but DH and I both think it looks very refreshing.



Lemon cream cheese dump cake


OK, now going to close this with some pics/memes I like:


adorable...


so very true...


Hope you're having a wonderful (if not hot) weekend. Stay inside, stay safe... praying for those who are dealing with fires and floods. 

Hugs (virtually),

Rian






8 comments:

  1. Cute kitties! Lovely rolls! I have too much trouble with yeast thingies. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LInda, it was my first attempt using yeast... wasn't too bad since I used the rapid rise yeast and just threw it in with everything else. Proofing worried me too... but all in all, they came out alright.

      Delete
  2. I just finished dinner and now I'm hungry again! Your cookies looked sweet (love the little animal faces) and your rolls looked amazing! Yes, bring on some large rolls. DH's birthday cake looked wonderful too, and Rian why are you torturing us with that lemon cream cheese dump cake?!! I must have that! Anyway my lovely friend, good luck at the dentists this week and I hope we get another post from you soon, Hearing from you always brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rolls really turned out well... now I have to try to do them with gluten free flour and see if that works. And yes, that lemon cream cheese dump cake does look good. So far our favorite here in dump cakes has been the peach pecan one... but that lemon with the cream cheese... hmm..mm, might be worth a try. Thanks for the good luck at the dentists, I need 'courage' not luck... don't know why the dentist is such a fearful place. DH is watching the soccer game. I just check in every once in a while to see the score.
      Hope today is a good day for you, Dug!

      Delete
  3. Just a quick note about my dental apontment last week...the last one with the dentist I've become used to. Long ago when I had many long appointments of being under lots of novocaine and getting lots of treatments, I started closing my eyes and imagining myself in Hawaii, lying on a nice massage table with any number of handsome masseuses keeping me feeling wonderful...sea breeze and all. But this week all I did was imagine sitting on the sand by the water... which was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thank you for this comment. I too find being by water very relaxing and grew up by the Gulf of Mexico, the Mississippi River, and Lake Pontchatrain. But when I want to feel calm, I now imagine myself on a lava beach in a little cove by the ocean in Oahu with the sound of the roaring waves in my ears and breathing in the fresh breeze from the ocean. I will try to re-imagine that during my dental appointment this week.

      Delete
  4. The cat cookies are adorable and your dinner rolls look delicious.
    Good luck with the dental appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. The tea cake cooies are an old staple, but the dinner rolls are new. And thanks for the good wishes on the dental appointment... keep telling myself it'll all be over by Friday... yes??

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...