It is HOT! Not unusual for Texas in July and August... but apparently the heat wave is causing problems in other places too... places that don't have AC. Can't imagine it being in the 90's and 100's withour AC. I know we lived without it growing up... and believe me New Orleans is hot... and humid! But back then we had lots of fans... attic fans and little black iron fans... but still. Triple digits can be dangerous.
It's one of the main reasons we put in a home generator a few years ago. Didn't so much worry about the cold. One can always pile on the clothes when it's cold, but triple digit heat in a home for a few days can kill. And even though I'm one who hates the cold... and am almost always cold... even in summer, but I do know the dangers of high temps. And I do realize that having electricity does not guarantee your AC will be working, but with all the summer storms, it's a possible safe-guard.
So, if you're one of those who live in an area that's not usually this hot, please get yourself one of those small portable AC's out there... and stay safe... or else get yourself to a shopping mall or store that has AC and spend the day... or if possible, an air-conditioned hotel.
That's my main post for the week!
But...
I will say that we've accomplished a few things this week. We finally got a contractor out to give us an estimate on what it will cost to extend our small front porch across the front of the house. It's already covered by a 6 foot roof overhang... so it's just a matter of extending it. Actually, there's a little more involved since I would like the whole front to be either a composite board planks or concrete... so the existing small porch which is a pebbled concrete would have to go. Also there are sprinkler heads that will have to be removed... and bushes... and a fan added, etc. Anyway, at least we will have an estimate.
This is the closest picture I can find as to how I would like the porch to look:
The other thing that we accomplished is having a hole patched up in the office ceiling that was from a leak - and has been covered with a black plastic bag for years. We finally got a guy out that did a beautiful job. It was a pretty good size hole and no one was willing to sleep in that room (it has a trundle bed in it) in the fear that 'something' (raccoon? squirrel? bugs?) might come down from the attic through that hole. Luckily, nothing ever did...
And lastly we have someone coming to give us an estimate on what it will cost to mow the front and back lawn. DH has always done this, but at 81 and this heat, I think it's time for someone younger to take over this job.
Started this post yesterday, but now it's Sunday morning and I'm making a pork tenderloin for supper. Hope it comes out alright as I just learned from Google/AI that I shouldn't cook it past 145 degrees or it will be dry - and I already cooked it to 165. Guess we'll see when we eat it. Plan to serve a spinach souffle and sweet cob corn with it. Will post a pic (if I think about it).
(Sorry I forgot - but it was good, very tender, and not dry)
That's it for your informative (?) post for the day. Oh, we had 7 crows and 5 squirrels come by this morning for their morning feed! And in the back our box turtles are getting bold... they don't run away anymore when we go out to add food to their bowl. They just sit there and wait patiently.
Here's a quick video of one eating...
Hugs (virtual),
Rian


What exciting improvements around your place. Be sure and get a before photo. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteIt's not that exciting... but it is something I'm really looking forward to.
DeleteI hope your porch ideas come to fruition! When we were deciding whether to stay and renovate or move, my husband's commitment to my front porch idea made the decision. I still call it the porch of my dreams.
ReplyDeleteThis heat is too much for me! We are going to have another week in the high 90's here in Ohio. Thank goodness for air conditioning.
I hope so too, Miss Merry. I think we would really enjoy it... not in the summer with this heat... but in the Fall and Spring.
DeleteHi Rian! We're going to be having that same heat wave starting tomorrow here in Pa.. I am praying my apt building's rickety AC system doesn't break down again. What you wrote about growing up without ac, I can relate--we didn't have it either. But I think living in the country, with lots of trees helped. Your porch plans sound terrific, good for you. And I wish we could've seen that pork tenderloin, your meal sounded delicious!
ReplyDeleteDug, you should get one of those small portable air-conditioners for those times your apt AC goes out. I can't imagine how uncomfortable you would be without AC and with your long covid to boot...
DeleteAnd I'm excited about the porch... although I may not be when the estimates come in.
Try to keep cool... and I really hope you make the Wednesday excursion! If you do, take pics!
A front porch which provides neighborly views and comfortable rockers (or chairs) is certainly worth a lot of investment, joyful hours that can't be priced!
ReplyDeleteI agree, Barbara... just hope the estimates aren't too beyond us.
DeleteIt has been hot here in Philadelphia area. Then we had a little relief and now tomorrow back over 100 ! We don't have a generator, but we do have a finished basement that stays on the cooler side even in 100 degree weather. I remember hot days with no air-conditioning. It was hard to sleep.
ReplyDeleteHi Judee! Thanks for visiting. We've never lived anywhere where a basement was possible. Here it's almost all rock under our home and in New Orleans, it's all water. But I'll bet a basement is cooler.
DeleteOof! We had two days in the 90's and I avoided leaving the house. Thankfully we have a/c - it was a must have when we bought the house.
ReplyDeleteLove the extended porch! Hope it can be completed soon.
Mae, I'm surprised that you have A/C in Canada... and even more surprised that you had temps in the 90"s there! As for the porch, we haven't gotten the estimates back yet. But pretty sure, we could never use it in the July and August here. But it would be great for the Fall and Spring.
ReplyDeletei LOVE a front porch or a deck in the back...the picture is lovely!! we wanted a shed, got a price, it was 40 thousand dollars, for a shed, we thought that was a lot. we are in the middle of a heat wave, it was 104 degrees today!! we have central air, i would melt without it!! be careful with the heat, i'm not enjoying it at all!!
ReplyDelete$40,000 for a shed? That must have been some she-shed, Debbie. If the porch extension cost half that, we're in trouble. And yes, this heat wave is dangerous... and I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. Stay inside if you can.
Delete