Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

After the road trip...

Grand daughter looking at the Mississippi in the New Orleans French Quarter

Well, I'm back home in Dallas and my pics post just fine here (?).  So I will post a few taken as we walked around the French Quarter and visited some of the shops.



Mule pulling carriage
Trying on Mardi Gras Mask



As I mentioned before I stayed at my daughter's house in the Hill Country around San Antonio from Wednesday until Saturday morning. The weather was wonderful (there's always a breeze on their porch - which runs all the way around the house). While they were all at work and school, I cleaned a little, cooked a little, crocheted some (is that right? or is the past tense just crochet?), and read some... also sat with the dogs on the front porch, watched the horses, and talked to the chickens.

The chickens are so-oo cute. They are Cochins... and have those feathery legs. They are small and fat and lay small (but delicious) eggs. Here is a picture of *Frizzle*, one of their brood that they didn't think would live as it was very small and looked strange even as a chick.  But Frizzle is doing fine. Her feathers are very curly which make her look a bit *frizzled*, but we think she is adorable.




Rooster and friend on porch rail


And of course I have to post a pic of grand daughter and her horse.  They were practicing their jumps in the arena and I was taking videos. Apparently you can take a pic off a video... also something new I learned this past week.




Well, guess that's the news for today. My back has been bothering me from the long time riding in the truck. But I have to say that the truck itself was very large and comfortable... (love those heated seats!), but my old bones seem to be protesting a bit. They will adjust.

This morning DH and I went to the mall to walk and buy some new pods for my Nespresso machine. We also stopped by Godiva and picked up our free chocolate. If you join the Godiva club, you will get free chocolate once a month.  It's great! Of course they expect you to come in and buy other stuff, which is generally what happens.







25 comments:

  1. You had a lovely holiday! Frizzle is quite adorable, for a chicken (rather, Cochin!). Love the curly feathers.

    Okay, someone tell me how to take a pic from a video! Seriously. The only thing I know how to do is press the video button on my point and shoot. But if you're looking at it in the video editing software that comes with Windows, how do you get just one image? That would be awesome, for the boys' tussles if it ever warms up and dries out, outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the *still shot* from the video on my iPhone. Just hit the top button at the same time as your main button and it takes a still shot. ALSO... I was shown that if you enlarge your picture with your fingers and then hit those 2 buttons simultaneously it saves the enlargement. My grand daughter taught me these.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos. Looks like you had a great time.
    I'd like to see the Mississippi someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the *muddy* Mississippi... as you can see in the pics.

      Delete
  3. She may have frizzled, but those feathers turned every which way give them depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is even more *frizzled* than the pics show... gives her that *bed head* look.

      Delete
  4. Love the chickens! You got great shots of your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you were able to post the pictures of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that once I got back home, they should post alright. Guess things just don't work the same when you're on someone else's computer.

      Delete
  6. That is one cute chicken, all right! (And yes, the past tense or crochet is crocheted, if you ask me.) What wonderful pictures! I'm glad you were finally able to post them. Thanks so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how do you pronounce *crochet-ed*? It just looks and sounds funny.

      Delete
  7. Am so envious of your New Orleans trip. We used to get down there every four or five years. The American Economic Convention (now it's associated with other social science organizations) was held there and we got special rates for those big hotels down in the French Quarter and it made a nice semi-economical trip for us. I must confess that I had my share of the beignets and coffee as well as my husband's portion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't beignets great? And French Quarter cafe aulait?

      Delete
  8. Cute photos of your grand-daughter. Her horse is beautiful. Free chocolate sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the free chocolates are kind of an incentive to walk the mall... and of course we also buy a dark chocolate macaroon or two to have with our coffee at 4.

      Delete
  9. Hi Rian, I love your photos! The chicken is delightful! I just love how they look at us with their heads cocked to the side. Thank you so much for your kind comment on my yesterday's blog post. You are most welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do think chickens are so cute! They bounce around on those tiny legs and cock those little heads... and Frizzle with her curly feathers is just irresistible.

      Delete
  10. cheery post today...love Frizzles curly feathers and I dare not join a chocolate club even for a free chocolate once a month...I lack chocolate willpower. I enjoyed the picture of your grand daughter...she is such a lovely girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. But a single piece of free dark chocolate once a month is just something we can't pass up. And besides, dark chocolate is *supposed* to be good for you! = ^..^ =

      Delete
  11. Lovely granddaughter! I like the chickens, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Knatolee. I believe you have chickens too, don't you? As well as a lot of other critters...?

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a nice time you had, love those black chickens

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos, Rian, and you obviously had a great trip. I know just what you mean about our old bones complaining after a long road journey. It took me days to stop aching after out drive north a fortnight ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...