Translate

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easter Saturday, yummy flowers, and a surprise visitor!




Julie checking out Easter Flowers


Happy Easter Saturday!  Oldest son sent Easter Flowers... which are beautiful... (and cats love to nibble).  They will have to be kept in a protected area when we are not around. As you can see, Julie is already interested.

AND... we have a new cat in our yard! We don't believe she is feral as she looks too well taken care of, but she has a sweet face and has spent the last 2 days here (no collar and while not *afraid* she is *cautious* and backs off if we get too close.







And lastly I'm posting some pics of my dinnerware project which is still in underglazed greenware. My semi-famous person is someone who was one of the early founders of Forensic Medicine so my theme is Death, Crime, and Medicine... using the colors; black, red, and white. Since I'm a pretty practical person, I didn't want the plates, bowls, and cups to be too gruesome as I'd like them to be functional (and not gross). I thought of using fingerprints or blood splatter, but the fingerprints never came out to my liking and the blood splatter is still *up in the air*.  But I did put a *gunsight* on this sample plate - both to link it to crime and add a little color. Once it's fired, I'll know if I like it... or not.






I'm planning to add a small black clay cookie in the center of the gunsight... one that looks like the outline of a human torso with holes in the head and heart areas (like at a shooting range).  And then my clay sculpture that is for the centerpiece is a stack of very old medical and mystery books.  This semi-famous person was influential to two crime/mystery series - Perry Mason and Murder She Wrote.

I will take some pictures of the various projects once they are finished and set up in the studio. Some are really wonderful.  Mine is fairly simple.  But it's still a constant learning experience for me.



Have a Happy Easter
 (in case I don't get a post in tomorrow
and 
a wonderful day!

Our Jack (who we lost this year) with his bunny last Easter
We really miss you...




15 comments:

  1. Your little 'visitor' is gorgeous, Rian. What a beautiful face and expression. I'm happy to see he/she is being fed. What a great hobby you have making pottery. I think that would be something I would like. I'm sorry that you are missing Jack. They never are very far from our thoughts after we lose them. I think of ours that are gone now so often. Enjoy your Easter. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have a very sweet face...
      and as for Jack - well, he was so much a part of our hearts that we will miss him forever...

      Delete
  2. Quite the theme for dinnerware. Did you pick or was it the luck of the draw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the luck of the draw, Olga. That's why it's been a chore trying to make it functional, but not gruesome. It didn't have to be functional... could be artistic (which some definitely are), but I tend to like things *usable*.

      Delete
  3. Have a blessed Easter my friend....you have a kind heart when it comes to the poor little kitties....I am sure God sends them your way. Your flowers are beautiful...what a thoughtful son you have and the dinnerware...will be unique and one of a kind. I look forward to see what they look like when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's true, Dee, that they seem to know *where to come* for sanctuary.

      As for the dinnerware, it certainly will be *unique*... (and I wondered if anyone would want to use it... but 15 year old grandson already says that he has dibs!)

      Delete
  4. Your new visitor is a lovely one. Maybe she'll trust you enough at some point that you can actually get her and take her to a no-kill shelter or other rescue. Fingers crossed for that, and at least she has good food and care with you.

    Your dinnerware definitely is unique, though I admit I'd not want to eat from it. LOL.

    Happy Easter to you all, maybe you have a lovely and peace-full weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a cutie, but I have a feeling that she lives somewhere closeby.
      As for the dinnerware, it is kind of strange...
      And Happy Easter to you also, Kim!

      Delete
  5. She's a pretty one, all right. Definitely not feral, and if she's like my sweet tom I feed every day, she will be sitting in your lap and purring mightily before too long. The dinnerware is definitely unique! Have a wonderful, restful, happy Easter, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty cautious about us getting too close... but we'll see.
      Happy Easter Djan!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful visitor. Is she maybe part maine coon? I wouldn't be able to let her go, she'd just have to stay and be mine own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to let quite a few go... or we'd have a house (full-er) than it is now. But I know what you mean... she has a sweet little face.

      Delete
  7. A very happy Easter to you too, Rian. That visiting cat is a beauty and may decide to take up residence after the welcome you've given her. :-) Your dinnerware is going to be be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The visiting cat is a cute one... and she is welcome to come and go (or stay) as she wants. As for the dinnerware, it is *different*.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...