Translate

Friday, July 30, 2021

the way I see it... my thoughts on a controversial issue

I woke up this morning with thoughts running through my head about the Covid vaccination controversy. Something I read on Facebook by someone's daughter had stuck in my mind. She wrote about how she feels about those who vaccinate and those who don't. It was well written and explained her feelings on respecting other's choices, etc.

And I agreed with most of what she said. But... my cousin left a comment that was 'spot on' in my opinion. It basically said that "your  right to stretch out your arm ends where my nose begins". 

Yes, you have the right to make health decisions that concern yourself, but when these decisions create a danger to others (hurt or possibly kill), this right no longer applies (IMO).

I do respect a person's right to make health decisions for themselves, so if you don't want to be vaccinated, that is fine. But take responsibility for this decision... and don't go around others and possibly inadvertently spread this virus... or at least wear a mask as a precaution.

I was hesitant when the vaccine first came out (probably everyone was), but I came to the conclusion that if it was all we had to try to stop this virus, then it was a necessary risk

If someone got sick or died because of me, I'm not sure I could handle that. I know that neither the vaccine nor wearing a mask is 100% effective, but at least I know that by utilizing these resources, I'm doing everything I can to prevent the spread. 

We don't know a lot about this virus, but we're learning, and we do know that the possibility of spreading it is there for both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. We know that some have only mild symptoms, but... some face hospitalization and death. We do know this!  I will continue to wear a mask even though I'm vaccinated - if only to lower the risk (it seems a small price to pay that could possibly save someone's life).

600,000 deaths in the U.S. alone. You may question the validity of the numbers, but that is irrelevant in my book. Some people do die. That is a fact... a fact our doctors and nurses see every day. Wouldn't you want to do everything you can to avoid this happening? Or does it have to happen to someone dear to you to get the message home?

I know that everyone will not agree with me. That is OK. I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on the way I see it. Writing it down always help me understand my priorities.

Thanks for reading. And just for clarity... I do know that some people cannot be vaccinated (or wear a mask) due to medical issues. I understand this. And since we can never know what is going on with that masked or unmasked person - IMO it is best not to judge... 




Hugs (still virtual),

Rian



15 comments:

  1. Hi Rian! I got my first covid vaccination on Dec 20, 2020. I was so very very grateful. I felt a little guilty because I was in the first group of nurses that it was offered to by my employer, a healthcare facility. I'm a nurse, but my job does not involve direct patient care. I was glad that the vaccine was understandabley developed quicker than usual, it's a pandemic! If it had taken the usual number of years or decades, we'd all be dead. I understood the quicker more efficient process. Sadly, I just read about now having vaccinations offered to guests at funerals of people who, had refused to get the vaccine, and subsequently died of covid. Whatever it takes. It could all have been so different in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, my 2 daughter-in-laws are nurses... and yes, they are vaccinated. But they do come home with horror stories of those who are struggling with the virus in the hospitals. So glad you are vaccinated.

      Delete
  2. If you're not vaccinated and do get sick, it's too late. Don't be stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joanne... and even if the unvaccinated only get mild symptoms, it doesn't mean that they couldn't pass it off to someone who could die.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if someone died because of me.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with you. Don't understand those who seem not to care about others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so glad to get the vaccine, but I too have started wearing my mask even when it's not mandated. Why not? This new variant is really contagious and scary. Thanks for giving your two cents here. I am 100% in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please wear your mask... mandated or not... just for added protection (for yourself and others). As you said, why not?

      Delete
  6. I believe that the refusal to vaccinate, when one is able, is indicative of a lack of empathy for others. Your cousin is correct - personal rights end when the health of others is impacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that some are afraid to take the vaccine, but the way the new Delta variant is spiking, they may soon be afraid not to take it...

      Delete
  7. I agree. My husband and I got the vaccine as soon as it became available to us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...