Translate

Monday, July 5, 2021

curiousity...

This week is my 76th birthday.  I happen to be looking on my blog to see exactly when I started blogging in place of journaling on a website.  I found the following... which I believe was my first post back in 2012:


"It is Monday, June 18, 2012.  Having just googled my old post to see what came up... I decided that the title "For Better or For Worse, but not for lunch" was apparently too popular.  So I've now changed it to "Older but better...?"  But you can find my older posts there.  I probably should have googled this title also before starting to write, but as the saying goes, "coulda, shoulda, woulda.... didn't".


This was me in school around 1954 or 55.  Life was simple then.  It gradually got more complicated... and less simple.  But it was always good.  Don't mean to imply that things were always wine and roses, but my philosophy then (even if I hadn't formulated it into words back then) was "what is... is, and I can handle it". And that philosophy continues to work for me today at the grand old age of approaching 67.

I have blogged or had a website for many many years.  Previous to this I journaled by hand, but when online journaling became popular (maybe 12 or more years ago), I went with it.  Sometimes I regret it as many of my websites disappeared over the years, some can still be brought up, and there are quite a few out there... the most recent having been Cats, Coffee, and Chocolate.  But this particular site was to be devoted to the new experience and adventure into retirement. 

Hubby retired the summer of 2009 and took to it more readily than I had expected. Having retired from my career field back in 1991, I've only worked part time in recent years; however arriving at full retirement age was something I both anticipated and feared.

So many unknowns.  Would we have enough money to live on?  Would we miss the routine we had established over the years?  Would we miss our working family and friends?  Would we get bored?  Would we like being home together 24/7?  Etc. Etc. Etc.   And then there's Social Security, and Medicare, and Supplements....

Anyway, if you want to read the first posts during these awkward months, you will have to go back to "For Better or for Worse" and "Cats, Coffee, and Chocolate".  As now it is almost the first anniversary of both of us being home and retired.  August 12, 2011 was my last day at the bookstore... which is where I spent the last 5 years of mornings. Loved it!  Love books, love people who love books, write books, read books, etc.  So it was a good match.  But have to say this also.... I love being retired!

It has worked out well.  We both have our own routines.  Love being able to do what I want when I want...  (limited some by budget of course, but not by time).  Will go into more of this tomorrow.  Have to close for today. "

It's always interesting to read what one wrote years ago. Sometimes when I read old letters that I wrote to my parents or old letters my now grown kids wrote to me in their younger years, I have to laugh.  Recently I read one of these letters and had to turn to DH and ask, "Did you know this? I don't remember this." 

So... it looks like June, 2022 will be my 10th year blogging. Not sure that is pertinent, but interesting to me. The only negative thing I can think about blogging (in place of jounaling - in a journal) is that like texting (in place of writing letters), you no longer have the physical proof if your post/text is lost in cyberspace. But... blogging is a bit more interactive. It does give you not only the experience of putting down your thoughts, but also the possibility of others commenting. And I have found that some of the comments are more interesting than the post itself. 

So feel free to comment. I know my blog is not as interesting as some... and pretty mundane. But I enjoy sharing my thoughts and experiences (such as they are).  Reading or listening to what others think and feel is educational in my book.

Closing this with a hope that everyone had a nice relaxing 4th! We didn't do much... I made chocolate chip muffins and DH got us some Popeye's chicken! It was enough.  

Daughter sent me this picture of watching the rain from her porch in the hill country.  I like it... very peaceful.




Hugs (virtual),
Rian  



23 comments:

  1. Happy birthday week!

    Happy 10th Blogoversary too. Lots to celebrate this week, including your 4th of July yesterday. ��

    Takecare and do something extra special for yourself on your birthday. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes. I love hearing from you... and Derry. We do plan on going to Ham's Peach Orchard tomorrow, so that will be my special treat.

      Delete
  2. I see you and I are close in age, and had the same hairstyle when younger, brown bangs and pony tail. That is a pretty photo of the porch and view. Happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the same hairstyle then as now, thanks to the pandemic and not getting a haircut in over a year. At the moment, I have bangs and a ponytail again... only now the hair is white. Thanks for the birthday wishes, Terra!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy what some would consider mundane. Reading the stories of other women, their daily routines with the occasional visit to somewhere interesting, or time with family is interesting. We may live far apart and our lives may be quite different, yet there is something that always resonates with me.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mae. Sharing our everyday lives in this way is somewhat... strengthening in a way. I'm not sure why, but somehow it makes me realize just how each of us creates our own little world around us.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday. Hope you have a fun and wonderful day.
    "For better or worse but not for lunch" is a cute title. I can see why it was popular. Still "Older but better" is a winner also.
    Blogging is a great way to keep track of those days that seem to float by. Congrats on the 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "For better or worse, but not for lunch" is still our retirement mantra around here. I make breakfast (such as it is - we generally have toast and coffee most days). Lunch is everyone for themselves (mostly because we all eat lunch at different times). And of course, I make supper unless DH wants to do one of his special dishes. He does a fabulous red beans and rice! But yes, it was a popular title... too popular.

      Delete
  5. Rian, I'm glad I know you. I don't know you that well, but I like how you're not afraid to say what's on your mind. You're the perfect example of someone who doesn't feel the need to live a cookie cutter life. I know when I visit your blog, it's going to be something different. 🙂. Hope you have a happy birthday, and loved seeing the picture of you back then. I also enjoyed that rainy porch photo, it was peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, I laughed when I read your comment... and your remark about not living a cookie cutter life. It's true, sometimes I feel that my interests are so varied that I'm basically the jack of all trades and master of none. My monkey brain jumps from one thing to another. I sometimes wonder if I had put all my effort into one thing, maybe I would have excelled in that choice. But no, I do a little of all of it as it's all so fascinating. Guess that's just the way it is. Thanks for the birthday wishes. And yes, sitting on my daughter's porch in the rain (and with a fresh cup of French Press coffee) is heaven.

      Delete
  6. A very happy birthday to you! I enjoyed reading this, because I just recently retired and I had many of the same concerns that you wrote about. I enjoy your blog and don't consider it uninteresting. I like to hear about people's regular lives in different parts of the world. Now I want to go back and check and see how long I've been blogging, too! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenn. Recently retired is a fun place to be. Lots of questions still, but gradually they all get answered... and life settles.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday -- belated but sincere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not belated, Olga! Today is actually the day...

      Delete
  8. I have loved your blog ever since I first ran across it years ago. I look forward to hearing about your take on things, and I also have loved your cats over the years, too. You seem like a kindred spirit in so many ways. Happy birthday, youngster (I am two years older than you). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I look forward to your posts and comments (and pictures!) too. "Youngster" huh? I guess it's all in the perspective. Hope things have 'cooled down' for you out there.

      Delete
  9. Dear Rian, thank you for sharing that first posting from 2012. Even then, you had a way of writing that was down-to-earth--the sort of "common man/woman" touch that Jimmy Stewart displayed in so many of his movie roles. You have the ability always to empathize with everyone in the way that says so clearly that you do not sit in judgment and that you seek to expand the breadth of your knowledge about being human. And so I always come to your blog knowing that I'll find a serenity there that speaks of the peace that seems to be the very essence of your being. I'm so glad that somehow we found one another's blogs. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee. I'm glad to have found you and your blog too... and I keep you and yours in my prayers. Peace to you also.

      Delete
  10. What a Beautiful Child you were! I Hope this Birthday will be a Memorable one in all the right ways. Old Age is a privilege not afforded to many, I happen to be thoroughly enjoying that privilege. I like the Blogs that Share the everyday lives of the Blogger, it has the Essence of the individual and their passions. I do visit Blogs that are specific too, but I don't find them nearly as engaging as the True Life Blogs that are not sanitized to make things seem larger than Real Life would normally be for most people. I remember when I followed a few Decor Blogs and Designer type Blogs, they were Inspirational, yet a lot of their Dear Readers thought that was Real Living and then made unfair comparisons of their own Home Lives, which wasn't Realistic, because the Blog was simply too Editorial to be entirely Believable. I can make even a messy normal Home look fabulous and like a Magazine Spread if I'm careful about what is in Frame and keep the Family out of it for a Minute. *Winks* Those Bloggers that keep it 100% are therefore preferable to me, no Smoke and Mirrors going on and they don't glamorize everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind, thank you. What affects me about that picture is that I was about 9 there... the same age as my youngest grandchild will be this year. And I remember how I felt at that age. Perhaps it's different for each of us, but I knew who I was then (if you know what I mean)... and I think she does too.
      And I know what you mean about blogs. I too like the informative ones, and the ones that have beautiful photos. But I really like seeing people living their everyday lives, what they think about, and how they feel... sometimes their struggles, but mostly their joys. It's encouraging to know that many of us care about the same things (like hidden beaches, oceans, nature, animals, etc.)

      Delete
  11. awww, you look the same!! thanks for stopping by during my "time away" being in the hospital"!!

    happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. Hope you are home soon... and all mended!

      Delete
  12. Love your daughter's picture. Here in Corpus we've had too much of it the past week. But, I'm really not complaining.

    Happy 76th birthday to you!! I enjoyed reading your past blogging style (and cute photo of you as a young'un!!

    ~Hootin' Anni

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...