Translate

Sunday, March 12, 2023

An update on my week... such as it was


Good Morning!


Actually, today is a good day. It's Saturday morning and daughter and hubby will be in soon. They will spend the night here before heading off to Hot Springs to do some hiking during Spring Break. Oldest granddaughter and her boy friend will meet them there.  I thought about going with them, but with this bp spiking and new meds, thought I'd better not... not this time anyway. We are going to visit them in April - and that's not too far off.

Update of bp and Rx Propranolol: Took the pill Thursday night for the first time (before bed at 10pm). Woke up at 5 am with bp spiking to 174/103 bp and heart rate 73.  So, it did lessen the racing heart, but didn't do much for the bp. 




So... I sent a message to my PCP as well as my Cardiologist and the PCP called me back Friday morning telling me to continue with it. Take the pill at bedtime or in the morning. So... since my bp was 94/57 and heart rate 77 on Friday night, I didn't take the pill. It woke me up at about 5am Saturday morning with a bp of 150/85 heart rate 85 so, I took it then. That seems to work out better... 

Sorry to bore you with all this, but some of you did mention things that were helpful last time. Thank you. One interesting fact was that this particular meds is also sometimes used for migraines. Since I get those, it would be great if this also helped keep those at bay. 


Sunday morning:  As it turned out, daughter, son-in-law, as well as youngest son, daughter-in-law, and youngest granddaughter were all here yesterday. We ordered pizza, and had salad, and cheesecake for supper - easy peasy.  And we all retired by 10 pm since they were getting up at 6 in order to leave for Hot Springs. But first DH and I made them bacon, eggs, biscuits, and coffee for breakfast (and some home-made banana nut bread and granola). 

Now it is 10:30 Sunday morning  and DH and I are both exhausted... as we don't normally get up that early... and we forgot about the time change. But we did enjoy having them here! (and most likely both of us will nap this afternoon)



Also... on one of the blogs I read, the person asked what/where would we like to live if we had our druthers... our dream house or place? 

It didn't take me long to say that I would choose  an old 2-3 story house with a widow's walk or cupola (or both) on a cliff overlooking the ocean...  (this of course would be if neither money nor other people's choices were involved). This is where I go in my minds eye. (It might also be filled with books and cats) Where would you go?


Hugs (virtual) 

Rian


24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely visit, and I'm sure they really appreciated the hearty breakfast to start off the day. Hope you got a nap this afternoon. :)
    If I could live anywhere, it would be near water - I don't care if it is a lake, a pond, a stream, or the ocean. Beyond that, I don't have an actual house in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't nap, Mae, but did doze off here and there while reading. And you are right, any water would be nice, but I love the sound of the ocean.

      Delete
  2. I always dreamed of living in a house on an ocean beach -- influenced by movie scenes. Now that I live not on but near enough to beaches, I long for mountain forests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain forests would be my next choice also, Olga.

      Delete
  3. Books and cats will make an ideal retirement home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Joanne! And if it was on a cliff over the ocean - even better (although we may need some protective rails for those elders with balance problems).

      Delete
  4. Rian, your family's visit sounded very nice. I sure am sorry about those scary BP numbers though. Hopefully the morning dosing will be a bigger help. I like your question about the ideal place to live if it was your choice alone, I always liked the idea of a small cottage in Ireland. 🙂☘️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small cottage in Ireland (like the Quiet Man movie) which I think was filmed in Cong, County Mayo. That would be nice... or on one of the islands like Inishmore.

      Delete
  5. The bp meds can take a bit of time to get right. Hope it happens quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm willing to give it a try... really tired of waking up this way.

      Delete
  6. i am happy you are keeping such a close eye on your health and numbers, that's so important. it sounds like a really great visit with the family, i think you needed that fun although it can be a little bit of work. if i could live anywhere....boy i'm not sure where that would be. i would like to visit ireland and new zealand. i think i would stay in the united states because of my boys, maybe south carolina, by the ocean!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I think Ireland and New Zealand are beautiful places. We've been to Ireland (Great grandfather from Cork), but never to New Zealand.

      Delete
  7. I hope your bp will soon stop causing concerns. My GP told me that I have to do 10 minutes brisk walking at least 4 times a week to bring mine down from its slightly elevated range. I haven't started yet.
    I too would choose to live by the sea, in a small, cosy cottage, with a small garden full of flowers. I suppose I could, if I seriously wanted to. Bit too old to move, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to walk at least twice a week - but that's really not enough. And I agree that moving would be a hassle, Friko... but it's fun to think about.

      Delete
  8. I always dreamed of an all glass house on the Pacific coast!!

    As far as bp being high, it reads here you have too much sodium intake?!! Pizza, biscuits, bacon. High intake of sodium will also spike your heart rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni, I will check that out (sodium intake), but I don't think that's it. I don't eat a lot... one piece of pizza, one piece of bacon, and don't eat biscuits... just have them for the boys. But I will watch it, thanks.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad it was a lovely family visit, even if it did mean getting up earlier than your normal.

    If I could live anywhere, it would be small, two-bedroom bungalow with a generous living area and a kitchen that was at least 80 sq ft (not a tiny corner like the one in my current townhouse), with two full baths. It would be in a less dense area of the UK, surrounded by rolling, treed hills and a winding stream. Lots of nature trails around me, and lovely little town with at least one great café for tea and coffee lattés, breakfast, etc. Where snowdrops are up in January/February and crocuses right behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kim, you have given this some thought. I used to have a website that was built in My Mind's Eye... where I lived on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

      Delete
  10. Regarding places to live, I am happy in the mountains or with a view of water. I do not want to be on water where the shore is eroding and big waves are coming and the levels are rising, though. I am happy where I am right now. I just want to be near my kids.Interesting you BP drama. I learn from this. I am on low dose BP medicine and my BP ends up all over the plce but never that high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bp occurrences have happened before (low in daytime, high in very early morning). But now it seems to be happening more often. I don't take the Propranolol (10mg) unless it's up over 150 when it wakes me up. As long as it returns low in the day, I don't worry about it too much.

      Delete
  11. I do hope they figure out what's causing those spikes. I'm glad you have a handle on it and are paying close attention. I think I'd live in Bellingham in a two-story two-bedroom home that was completely paid for. And close to the water, too, but high above it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as much as I'd love to have a home actually on the beach... I think on a cliff high over the beach (with access down to it) would be my choice. Although it would be nice to have the wooded areas to hike in also. So, since we are only dreaming, perhaps we can have both.

      Delete
  12. My husband and mother have to watch their blood pressure too. It's under control now, but it's definitely something we have to watch.
    Where would I live? I think I like it here in Hawaii, just fine. I just wish our son and daughter lived close by too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange, Kay, as my bp has always been low... now I'm having these nocturnal spikes? Just wonder what causes it... is it age?

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...