Translate

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

creative endeavors...

DH's ship in progress

Have I ever mentioned that DH builds ships? Can't remember. Well, he does.  It's a pretty neat hobby and he's done it for a long time. Now of course since he's retired, he has more time for it. We have always had at least 4 - 6 ships (sometimes in various stages) throughout the house. My daughter has one at her place and the kids destroyed a really large one years ago with a soccer ball.  We have two in glass cases.  DH likes building ships and putting together large (3000 piece) puzzles.  We have several of these  framed on the walls upstairs.

close up





Couldn't think of anything to blog about this afternoon. So, hope you enjoyed these photos of DH's hobby.

As for our pottery project, I've just started working on *chess pieces*.  Haven't decided on anything for sure yet, but may do a 'cat themed' chess set... with a cat king and queen... and I don't know, maybe birdhouses for the pawns, scratch post for the rooks, etc.???? Here's a picture of my first quick sculpt for a cat queen. It's hard to tell as it's only a little over an inch (maybe and inch and a half) square - but I didn't want to use crowns.  However, she is laying on  a pillow and the pieces will be on a base. Thinking that its difficult to sculpt so small that I will use the 'gesture' method... quick study that implies movement. I think that's the term.





All suggestions are welcome!  Criticism too...





11 comments:

  1. Rian, your husbands model ships are quite remarkable really, that must have been upsetting having one accidentally broken like that. We have one little ship in a bottle given to us when our son was a baby - so it is really his.
    I like your cat Queen even without a crown. Cats - it's a is really creative way of doing the chess pieces.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. The ship that was broken was our own fault... three young kids and soccer balls and a ship that was *not* in a case. Actually, it's remarkable that not more are destroyed as the cats like to play with the riggins.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That ship is amazing, and even if you mentioned it before, I didn't know about it. You are so talented, both of you. I look forward to the chess pieces finished. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure its talent, DJan... maybe perseverance. And the chess set could still turn out to be a disaster.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to say that the other comments that were here were *acidentally deleted* due to my fingers moving too fast... (and my brain too slow) this morning. Please feel free to re-comment, but if not, thanks for the original ones. I did read them and was getting ready to publish and reply when 'whatever happened' happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect post!!!!

    Pictures and words, about the Art, with both of you love to do!

    What could be more perfect, as a posting subject?!? What could be MORE perfect? Nothing!!! "Auntie" sezzzzz....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auntie, I like your barometer pictured on your post. I have an old one that looks very similar that I bought on ebay. However, I'm not sure it works anymore.

      Delete
  5. The detail on that model ship is truly fantastic, Rian. Your husband must be both patient and very clever-fingered to do such fine work. I love the preparatory model for a cat queen and agree that this theme would make a most interesting chess set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH has large hands so working on the ship with all the tiny pieces amazes me too.

      Delete
  6. I was impressed when you mentioned your husband did 3,000 piece puzzles....but building these ships is doubly impressive. He has perseverance for sure and talent. I think your chess piece theme is great. I look forward to seeing the finished set. Are all the cats going to be the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely no one piece will be the same... unless I can mold the little pawns. We shall see.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...