Translate

Friday, February 22, 2013

books...


One of my favorite dragon books

As you can see, I really like children's books... especially some of the illustrations. My favorite type of illustration is done in watercolor... and not being an art major, I don't know what the technique is called.  But it's a very pale fluidy process (and sometimes it's outlined in ink).  I own some books that use this technique ("city dog, country frog") is one.

And I've seen this technique used in other books, art, and even on a blogsite. Nora McPhail (www.noramacphail.blogspot.com) seems to use it. She does some wonderful watercolors.  My favorites are the people scenes and there's one of a bike in the snow outside the library...








This is another of my favorites. It's called "The Library" and it's about someone who loves and collects books.  I'm going to show you a few pages of the illustrations.  I absolutely love them. You can see the details in the pages better if you click on them to make them larger...













and then there's "The Money Tree" same author, same Illustrator

Isn't this wonderful?  

Sorry to go on and on, but I just love these pictures.  I try to use this technique when I watercolor... which isn't very often (it's only when the muse comes visiting).  

Here's a few of my 'attempts':  First two are just sketches I made of pages from books...





and some random watercolors :



done on a silent retreat...


copying an illustration in a children's book...







Enough of this. Hope I haven't bored you.  
Have a great weekend!






18 comments:

  1. I wish I could write childrens books but it is a talent ...as is the illustrating. I love your sketches ...and that last watercolour is impressive ...have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. It's not always the outcome... but the process that is so enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I think your own watercolours are wonderful!

    The books look delightful. I'm not familiar with any of them--though of course remember a few favourites from my own childhood. There was one version of Cinderella, a small hardcover edition, that had the most glorious illustrations, particularly of her dresses. I still remember them, though the images have become a bit fuzzy in my mind. I wish I still had the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not books that are classics, so you wouldn't remember them. I chose them for their illustrations, but the stories are good too. My favorite book growing up was "The Velveteen Rabbit". If I had to choose one now, it would probably be "The Giving Tree".

      Delete
  3. Hi Ryan,

    A great post! I love illustrations from children's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad. Sometimes sharing things we like 'bores' others. However, if you are like me, I'm not easily bored. Too many interesting things out there.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I have NOT been bored. I studied all the pictures carefully, and I must say I enjoyed your beautiful drawings as much as the others. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I am truly blessed to be reading and seeing all this, Rian. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, you are kind. But I really am glad that you enjoyed the illustrations and drawings. Just looking at some of those illustrations make me smile. If they can make someone else smile, then I'm happy.

      Delete
  5. Children's books ~~~ Illustrations ~~~ Water colors ~~~ BORED me?!?!? Are you kidding? I LOVE all those topics.

    And I love that flowing kind of water coloring too.

    And I must get my hands on that book "The Library"!!!!! :-))))))))

    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please keep doing these kinds of posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up "The Library" when I was working at Barnes and Noble part-time. Thought you would like it, Auntie.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I like the illustrations also. They look so simple and effortless, but of course are not.

    I believe that technique is called Line and Wash.

    Your sketches are quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Line and wash"... sounds good to me. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  8. You are a multitalented woman. I loved seeing your art and your inspiration. I am planning to go to an art show tomorrow. My neighbor has a number of her watercolors on exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please take some pictures of her watercolor... if it's allowed. I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  9. I also love to look at children's book illustrations....your sketches are really good....show us more?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very talented! I could see you illustrating a chidren's book.

    I also enjoy the watercolor faded look in some illustrations...love the books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popped by to say I dont mind how many questions you ask ...we do seem to live where our foods and measures are so very different.
    I believe they are the same ...I have seen them discribed as golden raisins but I dont think it would matter whether you used sultanas or raisins as long as they are soaked. Hope you can convert the measures OK and it works for you. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...