Translate

Monday, December 21, 2020

New puppy...

 

Winston

(I'm writing this on Sunday... although I probably won't post it until Monday)

Had to show this cute face.  This is Winston, new puppy for our oldest son and his wife! He is a Golden Retriever/Standard poodle mix... a Golden Doodle??   Whatever... he is adorable. Nothing like a puppy or a kitten to make a person smile.

Well, my Christmas baking and mailing is all done. There is still a lot of goodies around... Christmas tea cakes, chocolate pecan bark, rum cakes, and whiskey balls! I didn't take any pics this year...  but since I basically make the same stuff each year, you probably have already seen it anyway. 

Just ordered a rump roast and all the fittings (potatoes, carrots, onions) to cook for Christmas day. We have turkey on Thanksgiving and a pork roast (with cabbage and black-eyed peas) for New Years... so a roast will have to suffice for Christmas. We could do a baked ham... but neither grandson or I are big on ham... and DH would have a hard time eating one by himself. 

We don't do a lot of gift giving anymore... used to do quite a lot when the kids were home... but now, we give gifts only to the grandkids and the grownups get Christmas goodies. DH and I pick out one thing that we would like and that's our Christmas. This year he picked out a book and I ordered one of those digital thermometers that take your temp from your forehead. Works for us!

A few minutes ago DH and I were out looking for the Christmas Star that is supposed to be the closest it's been in 800 years tomorrow night. You can see the 2 planets tonight... not as well as supposedly we'll be able to tomorrow evening. I think there will be many people looking up and wishing on that Christmas Star. Maybe it's an omen that things will be better in 2021.  We can only hope.

Now something that has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas... as I was sitting on the sofa folding clothes, I happen to look up and see the weird pottery projects that we had to do a few years ago...






The rooster and the puffin heads were the projects. We had to do animal heads...  so these weird items hang high up on my kitchen wall. I also did a smaller eagle head that is hung up in another room.




I'm not much for doing animal heads... especially don't care for real animal heads on walls (find it gross, but that's just my opinion - here in Texas you do see this a lot). However, this was an assigned project... (and it wasn't real).


OK... that's my post for today. Hope to get another in before or after Christmas. But if not, Merry Christmas 2020! 


And here's wishing all of you 

a better, healthier,

 happier 2021!


Hugs, (virtual of course)

Rian






17 comments:

  1. A merry Christmas to you, too! The puffin head is unusual. It would be fun if you lived in an area that actually has puffins. I'm guessing Texas does not. Lol. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no puffins in Texas, Jenn. But there were puffins in Maine when I spent a week on Hog Island at a Audubon workshop. They were awesome and I fell in love with them.

      Delete
  2. I love your sweet animals, and that is one adorable puppy! Winston doesn't know it yet, but he won the puppy lottery, landing in your orbit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a cutie! It's so strange as we've always been more cat people than dog people... although I love both. My daughter has 2 dogs and 3 cats (2 horses, chickens, and 3 tortoises), and both sons have had cats until now... now they both have new puppies! Of course DH and I still have our outside ferals who keep us entertained. They'll share Christmas with us with treats and a few gifts!

      Delete
  3. Winston is just so adorable! We all need more of that right now. :-)

    The pottery projects are terrific, though I can't stand real animal heads on walls. Shudder. No trophies, please. If you really must hunt, do so for food, clothing, etc. Just my $0.02.

    Anyway, I hope you and your family have a lovely celebration, whatever that looks like for you. Take care, Merry Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! Merry Christmas to you and Derry! I'm with you about real animal heads... shudder! I think people should hunt with... cameras!

      Delete
  4. we are having a rump roast also, i have a note hanging on the inside of my cabinet door that says it is better than a bottom round. just so i don't get confused!! i always get plenty of drippings for awesome gravy and i will make several veggies and mashed potatoes - the star of the show!!

    to answer your question from my blog, i get the games on amazon. just type in christmas games!! i would have posted links but i am always logged in to my amazon and i didn't want to log out because then i need my password!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did a great job on the pottery heads. I did several fishermen lamps many years ago. I gave them away as gifts. Wonder where they ended up in the end, charity shops? Winston is so cute!💖 Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if under the eagle that is not a picture of the lovely red headed brothers, who, I know, are grown men now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are almost right there, Joanne. But the picture of the 2 boys are my oldest son's (yes a red head before he turned gray) boys... so, my grandsons.

      Delete
  7. That puppy is soooo cute! Dan and I were just looking online at the Labradoodles and the Goldendoddles.(hope I've spelled them right) We think Eli would enjoy a friend bigger than Weetie. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Henny. Winston is really cute... and will probably be a big dog one day. But if you get a friend for Eli, won't you have to get a little one for Weetie too? Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. What a cute puppy! I bet he will be a lot of fun for his parents.

    Merry Christmas to you Rian and your entire family. Like you, I'm hoping that the Christmas star will be an omen of better things to come.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. The Christmas Star doesn't look too perfect from our spot here in Texas... but we can see it and I'll wish upon it anyway... Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  9. Have not baked much. Hubby eats it all and leaves little for me anyway and that is healthy for me, but not for him. Maybe I will bake something for my neighbors at the New Years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We share Christmas goodies with our neighbors on both sides... and exchange some with a few friends and family members. It's a tradition we've been able to keep up so far. Merry Christmas Tabor!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...