Translate

Saturday, November 27, 2021

the day after Thanksgiving 2021...

Christmas decorations replacing Halloween! Here we go putting up the Christmas tree, pulling down pumpkins, bats, etc., and replacing with Santas, reindeer, etc. Life goes on, the seasons and holidays change... and we adapt. 

Thanksgiving turned out better than expected as our daughter and her family (who live in the hill country) surprised us with a visit on Wednesday on their way to a friend's house in Lucus, Tx. We haven't seen them since the pandemic started, so it was great to see and visit with them for a bit. 

Then our oldest son and his wife (who live in Grandbury, Tx but are moving this weekend to Texarkana) came by on Thanksgiving day for Turkey sandwiches. We had a good visit, talking, eating,  and watching football.  So, although we didn't have the traditional family gathering, it ended up a good Thanksgiving. 

And even though we didn't see our youngest son and his family on Thanksgiving day, we had just seen them the Saturday before to celebrate their daughter's 9th birthday.  So all in all... things went well.

**************************

Here are a few pics of the tree

and

a few Christmas decorations! 


naked tree


We get our Christmas tree every year the day after Thanksgiving.

This one we picked up yesterday morning! 


Next is a small tree with animals 

that I use as a 

Christmas centerpiece...


animal tree




close up


and a few little things 

I put out around the house...


Santa toys

Christmas mouse

Scotsman on shelf


and lastly...

the tree getting it's twinkle lights and star!





 


and although we haven't put ornaments on yet... we still found that under the tree looked a bit sad without our cats playing under there. So we added a few little under the tree critters to fill the empty space.




(I will post a pic of the tree once fully decorated, but we're slow and it may take a week or so...) 


And I have to report that all our feral cats (and a few raccoons) got some turkey on Thanksgiving (and I do believe that some of our ferals from the past return on the holidays to visit...

I also found out that One Eye loves turkey as much as salmon. He actually came to the back door several times looking for more and let me put the turkey... almost to his mouth. 

Well, that's my 'the day after Thanksgiving' report. Hope I didn't bore you too much. But I feel the Christmas magic has begun... (I love all the Christmas shows on TV and DH and I both love to sit in the den with all the lights out except for the tree... )

Thanks for coming by, I hope you are enjoying the magic of the holidays. Please share how you spend them. I find sharing even these little aspects of our lives (although not especially exciting) is therapeutic and uplifting. 

Hugs (still virtual),

Rian








20 comments:

  1. Wow. We do very little decorating and yours puts me to shame.
    I am so glad that your Thanksgiving was good - and hope that Christmas is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It really isn't much decorating. My daughter is an Interior Designer and her home looks like a Christmas store... (I think she has 10 trees)... but decorating is her thing and it does look amazing. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Decorating, AND those that share is therapeutic! I am happy to know one eye is becoming a bit more trusting?!?!! Love your tree and adore the animal tree. The Christmas mouse is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni, I know you do a lot of decorating since I saw what you do for Halloween. You have a designer's eye (or maybe it's an artist's eye). And yes, One Eye does seem to be getting more trusting - at least when it comes to his favorite foods. The Christmas mouse used to be a favorite for my youngest granddaughter. He sang... but alas, he sings no more.

      Delete
  3. I am so envious of all the Christmas decorations I see going up in my blogger's homes. I really must get my act together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving with visits with family throughout the week. Very nice!

    I love your big Christmas tree! I've stepped down to a smaller tree (fake) because I had hoped to be in a smaller home by now. My tree and a small one are already up and have been for close to a week. We Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October so I only wait until after Remembrance Day on November 11 to start the decorating. It takes me a couple of days to decorate even the small tree, and I have a tendency to play with the ornaments and ribbons for some time after that.

    Since it is just my son, my daughter, my grandson and I, we have a quiet Christmas. Well, as quiet as it can be with a four year old in the mix. Christmases past were much quieter!

    Take care, stay well and enjoy your Christmas preparations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a lovely Thanksgiving, Mae. As for the tree, we have downsized it in the last few years... mainly because the boys are no longer available to help get it home and into the house. DH can still handle this size on his own. As for the decorating, I'm like you and have to play and remember where each ornament came from... so it takes a while to get the tree decorated. Here's wishing you a quiet but wonderful Christmas (with a 4 year old to make it even more fun)!

      Delete
  5. Nice tree ... you're smart to get it early. We usually wait, but we're going out tomorrow because we heard there's a shortage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always try to get the most out of the holidays. Tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving and doesn't come down until the weekend after New Years. Love having the fresh smell of the live tree and garlands in the house... and the lights and decorations make it all so cozy (always sad to take them down). And I wonder at that 'shortage'... as the nursery where we get our tree had tons... even more than usual... and all fresh cut. Hope you get a good one!

      Delete
  6. Your tree looks very pretty even without any ornaments. I love your little bundle of animals both under the tree and on your little centerpiece. It always looks festive at your place. We had a great TG, with a pre-ordered dinner with all the trimmings. Today the last of the leftovers found a home inside our tummies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, today DH, grandson, and I finished off the last of the Thanksgiving cheesecake... and we gave most of the leftover turkey to the outside cats (they were happy).

      Delete
  7. That’s nice that you got to see family! Your tree is well on its way, too. I think we will buy our tree vet soon. Last year we waited a bit too long (although it was still pretty early) and trees were scarce! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see the kids! And yes, the tree is on it's way... and will be decorated slowly as I go over each little ornament made either by the kids or for them, bought in a special place, or commemorating someone or something in the past. Guess in a way our Christmas trees are 'memory' trees - no one color frosted artificial trees for us - just ones full of memories. They may not be as beautiful as the silver and blue artificial ones, but they make our Christmas. (and our cats used to love them - playing and sleeping under the branches - occasionally taking a whole strand of lights off, and us finding ornaments spread out all over the den in the morning.)

      Delete
  8. So glad you got to visit so with family for the holiday. After this past too many months, that had to have been special.
    Love the animal tree. So original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was special... and unexpected, Patti. It had been too long. We hope to go visit my daughter in the hill country for Easter... if we don't get another wave of Covid this winter. I want to believe that things are looking up, but not sure if that's the case. We can only hope.

      Delete
  9. thanks for you comment Rian. Unfortunately we live in a maisonette with lots of stairs and even though we have stair lifts it would still be too difficult to get him out. Also he is incredibly short of breath the the extent that he can hardly walk across the room. This is so sad to watch but we still try to keep as cheerful as we can. Thanks for your kind thoughts.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Briony. And I will keep both you and Tom in my prayers.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a really nice Thanksgiving. Your Christmas tree is simply beautiful and I love the little animal tree too. Actually, your decorations are the first I've seen that lifted my spirits and made me feel a little like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a nice quiet Thanksgiving... and I'm glad that your spirits are lifted. Christmas is a magical time. I do believe this. I hope you feel the magic soon, Henny.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...