Translate

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

an old story... one I may have told before


me in my office in Veterinary Hospital


Recently I came across this old picture of me when I was the Office Manager and Animal Medical Tech at a Veterinary Hospital years ago. It reminded me of an incident that happened during those years.

It was lunchtime and the Vet had gone off to lunch while I remained in my office (which was an office in front but separate and behind the Receptionist areaand the other Tech and Computer guy were in the back office (behind the two waiting rooms and the surgery) 

Well, I heard the front bell ring as someone entered the front door of the clinic. I walked out and said, "Can I help you?" Standing there was a very tall rough looking man with a very large gun in his hand... and he said, "Give me your money and your drugs..." 

I almost laughed as it sounded so 'unreal'. But before I could do anything, he was up next to me with his hand on my arm and the gun pressed against my head. 

I said that we didn't have any drugs... (well, maybe we had some euthanasia solution and a few minor narcotics for use on small animals - as it was a cat and small dog hospital)... but I took him into the back where all the drugs were on the shelves (except the low dose narcotics which were locked up in a safe). 

But just as we walked into the back, the computer guy stuck his head around the corner of his office and saw what was going on. The man with the gun quickly pointed the gun towards him and told him to "get out here!" 

After that, things happened very fast. For whatever reason (??) I wasn't terribly concerned when the gun was on me, but the minute he pointed the gun at Roy, I thought, 'oh my god, he's going to shoot Roy'. 

At the same time as Roy stepped out into the room, the other Tech (who, by the way, was 8 months pregnant and  had been sitting in Roy's office) took off running down the hall and out the back door. The man with the gun took off running after her, Roy started running after him,... and I took off out the front door. 

As it turned out, there was a 'getaway car' waiting for the gunman, and as the Tech had run out and hid behind a dumpster, the gunman jumped in the waiting car and left. 

Nothing was taken and as far as I know, the man was never caught. But the Vet was sure surprised when he returned to find the police there taking our statements.

So... as stories go, it's kind of an interesting one. And once, during a jury duty interrogation, we were asked if any of us had ever been involved in a crime and I had to tell the story.

OK, that's my post for the day. I'm sure there are other stories that may come forth eventually. But for the moment, that's it. I will however, post a picture of DH and I's breakfast this morning at Frogg's Coffee Bar and Creperie.  




The Coffee and Lemon Blueberry crepe is DH's. Mine is the Plain Jane (has only butter and cinnamon sugar) and the hot chocolate. Both were good!

Hugs (virtually),

Rian



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...