Translate

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Sunday morning coming down...


Johnny Cash


Was thinking about Sunday mornings and thought of Johnny Cash's song, "Sunday mornings coming down"...

Didn't know how to download the video from google so if you're interested, it's here:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-74SUwVV0


We've always liked Johnny Cash's voice and songs and I have to admit, I haven't thought about him or his songs in ages. And to be honest, it has nothing to do with my Sunday mornings... except that there is "something in a Sunday"... so:


Sunday morning here again... and I'm cooking. So far have a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions in the oven and some dark chocolate peanut butter brownies in the making. Also mixed up a batch of feral catfood earlier... trying to see if making our own feral catfood would be cheaper than buying cans.

Everything is getting so expensive, it's ridiculous. Our groceries, water bill, gas bill, and electric bills have doubled lately (some more than doubled). So we are trying to cut back.

Can't stop feeding the ferals, they depend on it.  So by buying a large bag of chicken thighs and legs for about $5-$7, cooking it and adding leftover veggies (corn, peas, broccoli, etc.) and a little rice and cheese - we get enough to feed them for almost a week (not quite). It'll take a few weeks of doing this, to see if it's worth it. They are pretty spoiled, but seem to like the new arrangement (may also be telling their friends??).

Anyway, that's my news for the day. Oh, I have a picture that I took from Amazon to share. It's pretty gruesome, but apparently a real item. Wouldn't even feed this to our ferals.




Wishing you all a peaceful relaxing Sunday. I don't watch the news much anymore, but do watch Face the Nation on Sunday mornings, so do know what is going on... sad to say. 

And I have to agree with DJan's posting of these words: "Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." —Desmond Tutu

We can only hope...


Hugs (virtual),

Rian



12 comments:

  1. "The Sunday smell of someone frying chicken"... a great song, love Johnny Cash. It's good to hear from you Rian, and that's wonderful what you're doing, cooking up feral cat food. And yep, every time I go to the supermarket I think "how do families afford to eat?" Just buying for myself is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, one of my own favorite childhood memories is the Sunday smell of mama frying chicken - as well as the smell of my dad's cigar/pipe smoke...

      Delete
  2. That is SUCH a sad song.
    And yes, I have just come from DJan's Sunday posting and that quote hit home for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sad song, EC... and yet nostalgic.

      Delete
  3. I found that quote from Tutu to be uplifting, so I am glad to see I'm not the only one. And yes, everything is more expensive these days! Sending you and your ferals lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I expect things to get more expensive as time goes on... (I mean we can remember what prices from when we were kids in the 40's and 50's - and so on). BUT things seem to have gone up in all directions all at once lately. It's a bit scary.

      Delete
  4. I'm certain making the feral cat food will be less expensive overall, and reduce waste, but I'm sure it will be time intensive. Good of you to continue to feed the lost.
    Pork brains is a hard no here.
    I like the quote. If we all do a little, we can do a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The home-made feral food will take some time to make, but time I have... (more than money). So, we'll see. Pork brains (and in milk gravy) sounds so... absolutely atrocious. And yes, Mae, the quote is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Sunday roast is my go-to meal, if a roast wasn't cooked each Sunday in my growing up years, they would think the cooker was broke 😁
    I like Johnny Cash's music, I watched his fascinating story on Ken Burns country music documentary, a lively life as most of the country stars.
    Thank you for caring for the ferals.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I was thinking about you today as I watched the Beatrix Potter story on TV... such a lovely story. I could watch it over and over again. I have a few of her figurines bought when we were in England.

      Delete
  7. That's just a gross can of alleged food. You are so kind to make the feral cats their food. I'm sure the Feline Diner sign is out for all of them to see. Have you checked with the local humane society? Many shelters have a catch, spay, and release program to keep them from increasing the cat population. Cats only need a little bit of real, wet meat in their diets. Maybe mixing with dry cat food could help the budget? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DM, we worked with the Animal Shelter here for years with the catch and release program as well as bringing them the feral kittens we had taken in and fostered for adoption. Now we just give them food, water, and a sanctuary. As for the home-made cat food, I googled some examples and it isn't hard... and they seem to really like it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...