Translate

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Birthday celebration... no, not mine.

Yesterday we celebrated our DIL and youngest son's birthdays by all going out to eat at our favorite Italian restaurant. Their birthdays are only 2 weeks apart (similar to DH and mine - which are 9 days apart). We hadn't been there in a while and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food is great, the service is fantastic, and the people and servers are fun. We always take pictures of the food to send to DH's brother since he lives in Houston and loves this restaurant. It is on the 'must' list when he visits. Here are a few pictures of the food:


DH's sausage, pasta, and cheese - always gets this!


My GF pasta with tons of veggies and olive oil  - love it!


I'm still working on water-coloring my sketches. This silly frog is my latest sketch from a picture I saw somewhere. Can't decide if I want his eyes open or closed. Think I prefer closed.


silly frog with open eyes


silly frog with closed eyes


Always liked this quote:

– Henri Matisse. “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”


Also have to show you this picture I came across. For some reason, it hit home with me. I think that somewhere in my subconscious, 'this is me' (on the 'inside' - how I think of me) - not the old lady me that shows on the outside. Silly? I know, but it makes me smile.




And lastly, I have to share this 4000 year old Olive Tree with you. Some of you may have seen it on Facebook. But it's absolutely  amazing. 



and here is the story:





Well, tomorrow is September 1st! 
Early warning: 
It's Rabbit! Rabbit! White Rabbit day!


Hugs (virtual),
Rian


(PS: now reading "A Trick of the Light" by Louise Penny)

12 comments:

  1. My birthday and that of my partner are nine days apart too. As is that of his sister and her husband.
    Love your frogs - with both open and closed eyes.
    That olive tree is amazing. I hope it continues to grow and fruit for a long, long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a 4000 year old tree that is still producing olives... unbelievable!

      Delete
  2. Your pasta dish looks especially yummy! Your husband's looks so good too, but screams GERD flare up to me. Haha.

    I love your frog, eyes open or closed! Closed makes him look like he's meditating or perhaps especially happy to me, like he's really savouring the moment.

    I have not seen a photo of the olive tree, I'm at a loss for words. A true Elder. I think I'd be moved to tears if I saw it in person, such Energy! (I have a thing for trees anyway, especially old ones. Maybe I was a tree sprite in another life. 🙃)

    I can hardly believe it's September tomorrow. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the months and years pass. I do enjoy the fall, though dread the 5 or 6 months of cold that follow. On a positive note, we're one day closer to Spring. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My veggie pasta dish is very yummy. As for the frog, I kind of thought the same, Kim... closed eyes make him look like he's savoring (or is secretly pleased) with something.
      And I agree about that tree. It begs to be hugged! And as much as I dislike triple digits, I have to say that the summer seemed to fly by. Luckily for us, we don't get cold weather for long (not like your cold).

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm with you lying on that couch with my legs up, just letting the world go by! Keep on being young at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your frog is wonderful! And what a delicious birthday celebration. Rabbit Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Froggie seems rather pleased with himself... not sure why.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this post, dear friend. You have spread much joy through it, and I took feel like that precious person with a contented smile. And your frogs are both wonderful, but the closed eyes do it best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, so glad you also share this 'inner person'... a bit silly, but basically happy and content. I think my froggy is happy too.

      Delete
  6. Love both frogs. I keep reading about that tree. Love to see it every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. That tree is something else! Can you imagine... something alive that has been around for 4000 years...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...