Translate

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

I'm a clutz...



Yes, just possibly I'm a clutz... as I broke both my hearing aid and my glasses this week. Since I haven't had the hearing aid for a year yet, I was trying to do the mandatory maintenance... and somehow ripped something. We'll go to the place I got them and see if it's easily fixable. Hope so.

And as for the glasses, I read every night in bed and generally fall asleep with my glasses on, book in lap, etc. So this morning when I went to get myself together and went to 'clean' my glasses, I realized one of the lens was missing! Apparently I had been wearing them all morning minus the right lens and not noticed (I keep telling everyone that I'm not really awake for the first hour or so in the morning - so if my eyes are blurry... so what). Anyway, after checking all the possible places and floors, I finally found the lens in the bed among the sheets. Looks like a screw may have been lost that held the frame tightly around the lens. Anyway, the eye doctor is not far from the house, so we brought it there and they fixed it. 

By the way, this week I'm reading a Janet Evanovich and a Charlaine Harris book. Both of these are funny... I had never read a Harris book before (this is The Sookie Stackhouse series) and in a way it's like Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" (the young girl bail bondsman) except in Harris' book Sookie is a young girl Telepath in a world of vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, etc. Sometimes I find I need the unconventional humor... these books provide.

Outside of that, I've started sketching again. It's been a while. But I find that if I can find a suitable watercolor wash picture (that I can sometimes find in children's books), I like to sketch it out... and if I'm brave enough, try to do a watercolor wash over it.  

So far I've done several sketches... and will (maybe) try the watercolor wash soon.  Remember, it's been a while... and I do this for the joy of it... no other reason. It's fun. So don't be too critical... 



and



The first sketch is from the childrens' book "City dog, Country frog"... and the second is from "Frog and Toad". 

Oh, wanted to tell you about some 'cute' activity that is going on in our backyard. You know we have several feral cats as well as Box turtles, etc. back there. Well, one of the kittens (who is about 3-4 months old) has taken 'an interest' in the box turtles. She tends to follow them around running circles around them as they trek across the yard to the feeding dishes. 

And recently one of the bigger turtles has decided to just wait at the dish each morning for the cat feeding. He apparently knows the routine and has decided to get in on it. DH says he is waiting there by his dish with the cats each morning now.

That's about my news. Going to close with some cute pics/memes that I found and like:




love this cake!





would love to be sitting here drinking coffee in the rain...


... or here!


This would work too!



and 2 t-shirts that I like:





Ok, that's all I got. Nothing earth-shattering... just a tiny part of life on my block. Hoping you all have a healthy happy rest of the week. And yes, lately I have 'hope' in my heart...  


Hugs (virtually),

Rian






18 comments:

  1. I am also a klutz - compounded by my very shaky hands.
    Your reading is fun - I have enjoyed both of these series.
    Love the memes you gave us today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both books are 'fun' reading. And the pictures of the coffee shop and cabin on the water (as well as sitting by the ocean) is where I'd love to be out of this August heat.

      Delete
  2. And PS. Yay for sketching for the fun of it - and you do much, much better than I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a little creativity (no matter our ability) helps lift the spirit (IMO anyway).

      Delete
  3. Those do look a lot like marijuana leaves that froggy is looking at so closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be... sketched directly from children's book? ; )

      Delete
  4. Those are absolutely amazing sketches! What talent! You could sell notecards easily! (I went back and looked; I'm not seeing the froggy looking at pot leaves...) I wonder what the turtles think about the kitties running around them. I hate trying to clean my hearing aid cuz I'm afraid of breaking something. Some drug stores have those little eyeglass repair kits, but you have the be able to see well without your glasses on to fix them! Hange in there. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DM, you are sweet. The froggy (supposedly looking at pot leaves) is the 2nd sketch. And I don't think the box turtles pay much attention to the kitten. Going today to see if I did any damage to my hearing aid...

      Delete
  5. I do hope you can get that hearing aid fixed without trouble, and congrats on finding the missing lens. I love your little treasures that you find and share with your followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lens was fixed easily (thank goodness). The frame is an old one and I didn't want to have to buy a new one. As for the hearing aid, I hope it's also an easy fix. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love those frog pictures! Did you notice that three of those memes / images that you saved involved the sound of water? Do you live close to water? That must be something that makes me content. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jenn, no sound of water that I knew of? And no, I grew up around water in Louisiana, but not around any now. Do miss it. The sound of the ocean/water does comfort and relax me.

      Delete
  7. Oh goodness, I hope the hearing aid fix is as easy as the glasses lens.
    You run circles around me when it comes to sketching. I've never had any ability to draw, though my brother and both of his children are very artistic.
    Cute story about the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sketching... like writing or working with clay takes me out of myself and into a different place. I think we need creativity in our lives (in some form or other).
      And people in general don't realize how sentient animals are... even turtles.

      Delete
  8. Rian, I'm very sorry about your hearing aid (and your glasses, glad you got them fixed) but this was still a fun & sweet read. You're a very good artist and I loved all the frogs! Anyway, thank you for the kind comment on my own blog, I've missed you as well. I appreciate your caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see a comment from you here, Dug (now I know you MUST be feeling a little better). And you can see from the comments on your blog how much you are missed. The hearing aid people fixed my hearing aid without any trouble... these old fingers just aren't as nimble as they used to be. But luckily they will still let me sketch.

      Delete
  9. i know i read this post and left a comment. have you updated the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Debbie. I don't see a comment... and yes, I updated them all. Maybe it went somewhere else, but I don't know where to look.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...