Translate

Friday, August 2, 2024

Welcome August and Triple digits...



August has arrived!

 



Well, August has arrived. 
It was 101 F yesterday 
and 
103 F today... 


Only note-worthy news is that I've been trying to attract crows to our yard. It isn't easy with all the ferals in the back. Crows are smart and keep away. But I put out a table of peanuts, apple slices, etc. as well as some shiny objects "on the side of the house'... and a bird bath to see if possibly I could get them to come. I have seen a few in the trees out back as well as around the neighborhood, but they never come up by the back porch where we feed.  So, I'm trying to see if they'll come on the side.

Oldest granddaughter is in Oahu enjoying the ocean there. She is kayaking, hiking, and zip lining. I love hearing and seeing the ocean videos...



Remember: click on the arrow first and then on the square on the bottom right to enlarge the video... it's so much better that way. And then the Esc key to get out of it and back to the blog.

And youngest granddaughter starts school this week! Seems so early in August for kids to go back. But with triple digits outside, maybe it's for the best.

We're all back to normal (more or less) health wise... and are preparing for more family to visit next week. Thank goodness my taste has returned as we will probably be going out to eat a lot. DH will make his famous red beans and rice one night and I've already stuffed and froze several artichokes for the occasion.

Going to close with a cat meme and the mention again that I really 'have hope' for this election in November now that Kamala Harris is out there... 

No coffee until cat is fed!


I will mention that I did try several new things this week... a cheese enchilada dish (that was OK, but I think we like the chicken enchiladas better)... and some GF banana nut mini cupcakes with (and without) cream cheese icing. These were a keeper!


OK... that's it! Enjoy what's left of the summer and hopefully the triple digits won't last too long. (For those of you bloggers who are just heading into Spring... I  love Spring!)

Hugs (virtual),

Rian


14 comments:

  1. So hot. And so glad you are feeling better and getting your sense of taste back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really hope those triple digit temperatures move on quickly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hot here, too but nothing like you are experiencing! Love your cute cat cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's warmer than usual there, DJan... and I can't imagine hiking in the heat. We just pretty much stay inside on these triple digit days.

      Delete
  4. I'm moaning about the high 80's here and I can't fathom managing in temps over 100F. Hopefully they won't last long.
    Glad you are feeling better, just in time for company.
    Lucky granddaughter to be enjoying the ocean off Oahu. It's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope the triple digits don't last too long. We've been lucky so far this summer... up till now anyway. As for granddaughter in Oahu, yes, I love the lava beaches there... and the quiet little coves.

      Delete
  5. I had to laugh that you're trying to attract crows. We have hundreds of them, so many they're considered pests, however, for some reason, they're also "protected" wildlife so we're only allowed to "humanely" annoy them to get rid of them so lots of places have horns, sirens and fake owls on the tops of buildings so they don't roost. Wish we could send you our overload. Their loud cackling, laughing calls can be overwhelming when there's a large flock nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far they've been avoiding our yard... probably due to the feral cats and other wildlife that hang around. But I've always thought them to be intelligent birds, and just hoped to have a few around (not necessarily a flock).

      Delete
  6. texas is so hot right now, good thing for a/c!! our temperatures have dropped and we are in the 70's but our whole area is flooded. we were in a drought and now we are calling for an arc!! so much to talk about when you are talking about the weather!! good to hear that you are feeling better...covid numbers are really high here, we are being extra vigilant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is hot! And you are right, thank goodness for A/C... we grew up without it, but not anymore. And yes, do be careful... covid is still hanging around.

      Delete
  7. I love the crows too. We have a few the visit the chicken lot to eat the scratch and it is funny to watch my new young chickens chase them away. I have always wanted a baby crow to raise. They are very smart. Glad you are feeling better. A friend was supposed to bring her two grandchildren to visit last Tuesday morning. She called and said the granddaughter woke up with a sore throat. Probably allergies she said but I am carrying her to Urgent Care. Well, she tested positive for Covid. So glad they waited about coming. The bunnies are fine. I need to post about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, covid is apparently on the rise again... luckily not as dangerous, but can still be a nasty virus. As far as the crow invites, so far no luck. They are smart and probably our yard has too many feral cats. But I will keep trying for a while. And yes, I would love to see and hear more about the bunnies.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...