Rabbit! Rabbit! White Rabbit! (having a bad hair day?)
OK, it's July 1, 2026 already!! We will soon be celebrating America's 250th Anniversay!
(...and this month DH and I will both be 81!)
For those of you who haven't yet reached these 'golden years', it's a strange time. Yes, we're glad to still be here and to still have each other, we are very grateful, but as the saying goes, "old age is not for sissies". Losing family and friends as time goes on although expected, isn't easy. Losing abilities that were always taken for granted as our bodies gradually wear out is a bit frustrating - to say the least.
Knowing that time is running out... thoughts of leaving those we love, and wondering what our next great adventure will be like fill our minds. Will we make it to the next decade? Do we want to?
With the way things are going... political chaos and global disasters, we worry about what lies ahead for our children and grandchildren.
A few pics of us in our older years... ...most recent of us together
But... this week we will celebrate America's 250 years of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We celebrate what America has always stood for... and hopefully will continue to stand for as quoted on the statue of Liberty:
This country has been good to us for our 80 plus years. Yes, it's not perfect... but what is. It offers the opportunity for a good life, no guarantees, but the possibility of creating a life filled with freedom, equality, and justice for all. America is made up of immigrants. My own father immigrated here with his family from England... like so many others.
As an Ethiopian immigrant once told me (he was driving our Uber in New Orleans) "I love this country. Here I can work, feed my family, and not be afraid"... (this was a few years ago. I hope it's still true for him).
Well, I didn't really mean to go into all of this... but my fingers sometimes just relate what my mind is thinking. That's what I like about blogging... getting things out of my head. Hope I didn't say too much. But... Happy 4th!
Hugs (virtual),
Rian
|
Rian, I enjoyed those recent photos of yourself and DH very much. It is difficult what comes with age, but I think you handle it gracefully, with humor and kindness and hope. Loved the Ethiopian driver and Statue of Liberty meme, and yes please keep blogging! Happy 4th my kind friend 🧡
ReplyDeleteDug, in general aging doesn't bother me.. it's just another phase of life... but for some reason reaching the 80's brings more introspective thoughts. Perhaps I shouldn't share these... but I wonder what others our age think. We will celebrate the 4th... at home and without fireworks (never liked fireworks... they make me nervous like they do dogs and horses). But Happy 4th to you, Dug!!
DeleteSo glad you shared your thoughts today...well, really yesterday, because I just now got to reading your blog. Happy birthday to you both...I'm a few years ahead of you, and we elders do hold some wisdom...though most of my family and friends aren't very aware of it. Happy birthday to the constitution and ideals of this nation!
ReplyDeleteBarbara, I laughed reading your "though most of my family and friends aren't very aware of it." That's the sad thing about this age... for some reason by 80 we have suddenly become "less" (for lack of the right word). I realize that possibly our memories are not as good, but our faculties haven't changed (unless one has dementia). It bothers me that some people put everyone in their 70's plus into this category. Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes and Happy 4th!
DeleteHappy 4th to you! I always enjoy reading your perspective. Enjoy your birthdays!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Bobi
DeleteI agree with you 100%, Rian. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to get our country to more sanity and caring for each other than the division we're seeing now.
ReplyDeleteIt may be naive, but I do believe that those of us who know what America really is, what it has always stood for... will never let it become what Trump considers 'great'... We, the people, want America 'kind' again.
DeleteThat is the fluffiest bunny I've ever seen. Soooo cute!
ReplyDeletehehehehe....bad hair day is an understatement!! "With the way things are going... political chaos and global disasters, we worry about what lies ahead for our children" and the young people in our lives!!! 81, WoW!!! you look great!! happy upcoming birthday!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debbie. I love your blog and your general attitude... and all the fun things you do and share... Hope you had a good 4th!
Deletethank you for saying this, i know you mean it. those words made me very happy when i read them and i should have replied then. i enjoy your blog as well, some people i just really connect with and i am not even sure why. i follow a farmer that i have nothing in common with but i just really enjoy reading his story....and i really appreciate the hard work of every farmer!!
Delete