Translate

Friday, September 11, 2026

Cooking, sketching, a grandma's rambling, and a funny story

guacamole

steamed cabbage


Just made a new batch of guacamole to have with chips for lunch and some steamed cabbage with just butter, salt, pepper, and garlic for a side for supper tonight. Usually I add a little bacon to my steamed cabbage, but tonight it's simple - and we haven't had cabbage in a long time. I know some people don't like it, but we do (although I don't make it often). And one whole cabbage is too big for just the 2 of us, so I saved half to make some garlic cold slaw later.

Also I'm sketching/drawing again. I had to look up the difference between sketching and drawing - and I actually knew what they said before they said it - which was "a sketch is a quick rough draft used to capture an idea  and a drawing is a detailed finished piece of art". 

Well... 😏 duh...all my drawings begin with a sketch, so I still see no real difference. 

Anyway, this is my most recent bunny sketch/drawing:




Now I have to come up with something I want to sketch next...  Sometimes it takes me a while before I see something that tweaks my desire to 'make it mine' (although it will most likely be another bunny).





Oh, and DH and I just watched "A Women of Independent Means" with Sally Field on Tubi yesterday. I really enjoyed it... think DH did too, but it's kind of a woman's story.

It's our youngest son's birthday in a few days. He will be 53. Can't quite realize that. He was/is... and always will be... 'the baby' from a mother's point of view. 

DH and I were lucky with our kids, our oldest son will always be special as he was our first born - the one that made me a mother. Then our 2nd was our daughter, the one her brothers called 'the Golden child', special because of her bright red hair and being the only girl,  and then came our youngest son (when the other two were 5 and 3) special because he will always be 'the baby'.  But of course all kids are special... each have their own kind of specialness... each different in their own way.

I originally wanted 6 children (possibly 9 - can you believe?)... but after 3, thought perhaps 3 was perfect. 

Forgive me for rambling on about this... unless you're a mother you probably can't understand how your babies aging affects you. You still see them as babies and toddlers... and hard to look at them grown and not still see the child they used to be. 

And sometimes they're replicated in your grandchildren... which is a wonderful surprise. The first time I saw my first grandson, I thought, "OMG, this is my baby!" - as he looked so much like his father did when he was born.


our 3 kids in 1974


Going to end this with a funny/wierd feral story. DH was telling me about it only this morning.

He was watching one of the box turtles looking for food in the cat dishes. So he went out and put out some dry catfood. Apparently the turtle wasn't interested in the catfood and was walking away. So DH put out some pieces of chicken. 

THIS  interested the turtle enough to stop and start eating. Well, Missy (feral cat) smelled the chicken and came over to help herself. DH said the turtle actually snapped at her and she backed away. He said she did this twice and backed away each time.

But there was only one little piece of chicken left... so she tried again. This time when the turtle raised his head, she slapped him with her paw... and this time he backed away and left. 

As I have said before, backyard feral life is fascinating - if you take the time to pay attention.






Didn't mean for this post to be so long... but some days my thoughts just keep rambling on. It's Friday, so I hope you have a fun weekend!

(and if you don't get this post, I won't be surprised as blogger hasn't been notifying me of the posts I normally read lately. I have to actually search for them...??)


Hugs (virtually),

Rian

 



10 comments:

  1. the bunny looks really good. i love cabbage, there are so many way you can prepare it. i often make coleslaw with it!! my boys are less than 1 year apart, both born in september. the first came on 9/5/82 and the second came 9/2/83. were did the years go, they are so grown up. an inborn instinct...alway protect your food, you are kind to feed them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I like cabbage... and potatoes (must be the Irish in me). And your boys are less than a year apart... wow, I thought having them 18 months apart was close. And yes, the years past fast.

      Delete
  2. Lovely bunny drawing!
    I have two adult children, my daughter and son, who I referr to as my pride and joy. They'll always be my babies, like it or not.
    I'm imagining a stand-off between the turtle and the cat, it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. I've always loved bunnies.... but have never attempted drawing them before. And yes, your children will always be your babies... like it or not. That's just the way it is.
      And as for the turtle and the cat's standoff, I wish we could have recorded the one between 3 sibling young cats surrounding a poor little green lizard. That one was hysterical when the lizard finally jumped up and bit (and hung on) one of the cat's nose. Talk about a cat jumping straight up in the air!

      Delete
  3. This was a lovely read Rian, had no idea you posted a new one. Your cabbage dinner sounded really good, and garlic coleslaw sounds so tasty! I love Sally Field, I need to look up that miniseries... and wow about your baby turning 53. So sweet what you wrote here, but gosh I lost my dad when I was 39 and my mom at 41, your son is sooo lucky. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dug! I know Blogger isn't notifying like they used to do... not sure why. Maybe the numbers have increased to the point that they can't keep up.
    If you haven't seen that Sally Field mini-series, I think you would like it. I read the book a long time ago and she does a good job portraying the main character.
    And thanks for the comment on my ramblings about my aging kids. Sometimes I think kids have no idea how much they (and their grandchildren) mean to their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do sketch the best bunnies! And I think you draw the best bunnies, too, lol.
    Your food looks so good!
    I talk about my kids as though they are teenagers. And I think of them as people in their early 20's. The oldest will be 50 this year and my oldest grandchild is already 18. I can't believe how fast time goes by. And I describe my big bulky police sergeant as my baby, too. He always will be.
    I always said I would be willing to have six children to get a girl (I have only brothers). My first baby was a girl. Then it went out of control with boy, boy, girl, boy, non planned but all welcomed. People asked me if I would have a sixth to have another girl like I was keeping score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Merry, my mom had girl, boy, girl. And I had boy, girl, boy. I imagine it's random, but think it's interesting... and yes, no matter their age (or size), and no matter how much we love the adults they've become, they will always be remembered as the tiny thiefs that stole our hearts (too much? sorry, but it's true).

      Delete
  6. Same here with the blogpost problems. I just missed seeing you and went looking. I always enjoy your post so much! Love the story about the cat and the turtle. Glad the kitty got the last bite. :) We love cabbage and I cook it quite a lot. I cut it up add just a little water and season with fatback grease, (I know) :) Have to stir it often and add salt and pepper. The bunnies are doing fine. I need to post about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henny! Yes, I have to look for your posts too. Don't know why Blogger isn't notifying anymore. And yes, I'd love to see more bunny pics!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...