When trying to pull up my blogger 'reading list'... I noticed that the address was : https://www.blogger.com/blog/reading/6076673433792968099.
And I thought... 'huh, I wonder if that last number is the number of my reading list in the millions that probably use blogger...' (I'm not terribly technologically adept, so maybe this is a ridiculous thought... whatever). But it could be the reason it takes a bit long to pull up the list?
a little old folk tech humor:
I love the "whatever" in the first meme. That's definitely me.... especially when I have to look up the abbreviations everyone uses these days. I recently had to look up "Ywc" sent from my 13 year old granddaughter after I thanked her for sending me her school pic.
And I don't know about you, but lately the drugs advertised on TV also use abbreviations... so much so that I don't always know what they're trying to promote, a pill or injection for some abbreviated disease... and after they list all the side effects (and I never considered 'death' as a side effect before).
Also, I am amazed at why young people think us 'old folks' are so confused with all the new technology. They are growing up with it and accept it readily and easily while those of us who didn't even have a TV when young, are struggling to keep up... and to be honest, I think we do pretty good (although I do laugh at myself and these memes because they are funny).
And now there's the question of AI... that's one abriviation that we all know. Do we love it or hate it? Is it a miracle or a danger? Well, in my opinion (yes, I should have used IMO - but sometimes I'm old school)... AI is both... miraculous and a definite danger.
I love being able to have info at my fingertips! This is something we never had growing up. The kids today take this for granted. If AI can solve problems so much faster than humans, I think of what a help this could be medically... and in endless other ways.
But yes, I'm also aware of the dangers it presents. Since AI can come up with things faster than humans, it can probably also easily outsmart us in ways that could be devastating. Like Dave in the movie 2001, it may choose to go it's own way... because it's way is more logical - with no emotions involved.
So, what's the answer? Work on ways to control it?... and strict regulations to limit how much and how fast this research can progress? Unfortunately (again IMO), we've never been too good about regulations for control (look at our continuing problems with gun control, immigration, etc.) Seems like even when we make the regulations, we don't follow through. So, chances are... AI is here to stay - and what will be, will be.
Well, that's enough 'dooms day' thoughts for today. Maybe I should end this post with a few more memes to lighten the mood?
OK, I was going to add one more that I like... but for some reason my laptop started giving me trouble and it's taken all day for DH to fix it.
Since it started when I tried to save the quote by Thich Nhat Hanh, I'm not going to go down that road again. So... if you're interested, the quote starts with "Fear keeps us focused on the past or worried about the future..." (you can google it)
Hope you are all having a good weekend! It's a 'tad' cooler today...
Hugs (virtually),
Rian
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...