Translate

Saturday, September 27, 2014

books and cats...

So true...

DH and I weighed in this morning here at the house and he has now lost 6 lbs (we are still on our SouthBeach diet).  I am gradually catching up as I've lost 5 !  It really hasn't been too hard, but I can feel that he is missing his sugar more than me. He's starting to whisper his beloved mantra, "I need pie...". Told him that once we hit the 10 lb mark, I'll make him a pie. In the meantime, he's have to do with our weekend ice-cream cheats. And since we've been good for 2 weeks, I'm considering making our home-made granola later in the week. I know it's healthy, but I'm afraid it might be too much carbs (with the oats).

And it's time for those annual flu shots! I actually called our doctor's office last week to make an appointment, but apparently the flu shots for those over 65 aren't in yet.  DH had gotten that one last year. I got the regular one... just because I was unsure about getting something more powerful. This year... we'll see. Since I had the real flu back in 1997 and don't ever want to get that again... (was sick for over a month)... we're pretty good about keeping up.


ready for final firing

This is the last load for the kiln that I'll be doing this semester - 11 pieces. They are colored with underglaze and then a clear glaze over all. Some (the plate and cups) were left over pieces from last semester's dinnerware project. Others (the bowls and one small square box) were done these last few weeks. Next semester I will resume with throwing larger bowls and bigger pieces.



ceramic books - top 4

These are the clay books I made as part of last semester's project. They're sitting in the middle of our game room table at the moment. Only the top 4 are ceramic. The bottom book is John Folse's Cajun Cookbook which is a wonderful (albeit a bit large) cookbook as well as informative articles and pictures of New Orleans.

The Fall weather hasn't really gotten to Texas yet... although we seem to be done with the triple digits. I'm actually enjoying these 60 degree mornings and generally 80 plus evenings (still some 90's). I'm just hoping that our winter isn't like last year since I don't do well in ice and snow (guess it's a good thing we live down south).


Tux and Ghost cuddling
Rose (one of our 20 + cats)



Have a great weekend!




10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the success of your program. Does DH realize he doesn't crave pie, but the sugar high. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I told him that... but he insists he wants "pie".

      Delete
  2. I couldn't tell which books were ceramic! Enjoy your weight-loss journey; I know it takes all our attention to stay on top of that scale. Happy Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it takes a bit of motivation to stay with it... but we try to take it a week at a time. And we snack on fruit and nuts... so we won't be *hungry*.

      Delete
  3. Well done with the weight loss I tried the South Beach diet but I found was as soon as I stopped, the weight came back on. I think the way it works is to reduce the carbs, increasing protein, and lots of fresh veg and some fruit. I wasn't ready to make the radical change required.

    Love the cat pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Eileen, it's a change of eating habits... but not that different from the way we normally eat. Right now we're *cutting out* the carbs as well as the sugar (for the most part). But then we add them back in at a lesser amount. DH and I always used whole wheat breads and pastas as well as brown rice, etc. anyway so when we gradually add it back in, it shouldn't be that different. And to be honest, although the weight loss is nice, it really helps with DH's borderline diabetes too.

      Delete
  4. I love your ceramic work. So you definitely have a home--based on books and cats ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Olga... books and cats we have aplenty!

      Delete
  5. Your ceramic books are amazing and I love the bowls in the kiln....I had my flu and pneumonia shot this year and oh my ...both my arms hurt for two days...they never did that before...must be a strong batch this year...lots of strange illness going around...it pays to be safe. Congratulations on staying on your eating plan...you are doing great. I agree if you have books...you need a cat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, my arm hurt last year with the flu shot so I'm not looking forward to this one next week... but I will get it. And you are right about strange illnesses going around. The virus that affects the kids is in my grand daughter's school in the hill country and of course you've heard that here in Dallas we now have a case of Ebola. Can't panic though... can only trust that those in the know can handle it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...