Translate

Sunday, February 8, 2015

clay, fabric, doctors, grandkids, and guilt




It's been a busy week. One where I had a dentist appointment (I really really don't like to go to the dentist - not even for cleanings!), quilting, pottery class, and baby sitting 2 days this week. Now this may not seem like much for some of you who are extremely active, but for me it was a lot. And it's not that I don't enjoy all of it (except the dentist part) - because I do.... but I've found that I work better at a slower pace (having a quiet day once or twice a week works best).  

IMO - by now - we all know our own bodies, minds, and souls well enough to know under what conditions we work best. And I work best when the pace is not hectic. Not that I haven't had to endure hectic times. I imagine we all have. But some people (my daughter included) work best under these conditions. They like the pace, and feel lost when things slow down (although this may change as she ages). But age isn't the culprit in my case, I've always been more comfortable when there *time* to spare.  

Owning my own time is extremely important to me. And the freedom to do this since retirement is something I don't take lightly. Sometime I wonder why this is. Is it because we go from elementary school to high school to college to marriage to kids to work, to caring for parents - that this sudden free time offered by retirement is held so dear.  Although school and school work were never my favorite things, they were tolerated well and I got good grades. Marriage and kids filled my days with love and responsibility, work helped meet our expenses and I got to work with animals which was an additional boon , and taking care of mom when she moved in with us was a bittersweet joy.  

When I look back, I always disliked deadlines. If I could work at my own pace, life would be simpler. Of course there are always deadlines in life... but now... not so much. If I wake up and don't feel like doing something, I can just not do it (for the most part anyway). It's a small thing, but means so much. Perhaps because I own my own time, there's less guilt?

I can remember when being sick, I'd feel guilty if I didn't go in to work... because I knew it meant more work for someone else. Now looking back, not exposing others to illness is more important. Hindsight.  But guilt comes with the territory. Being brought up Catholic, guilt is built-in.  I remember somewhere sometime being told by one of the nuns that taught us that chewing gum made the Blessed Mother cry.  How's that for a guilt-getter for a child?  Fairly harmless, but effective. I never chewed gum.

Moving on - Here are a few photos of some pottery I'm playing around with:




And lastly, here are some pics of a few of my favorite things:


left to right: Julie, Molly, and Tux

Molly (21) hugging Tux

Great Dark Chocolate!


Oh, and my finished small quilt now looks like this:






18 comments:

  1. Well, there are some people who can snap and chomp on gum in such an annoying way that it brings me to tears when I can't get away from them--so I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the good sisters on that one. I remember our class being told that there were body parts we were never to touch, even for the purpose of washing them. And we all knew those were the dirty parts. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've never really missed chewing gum... and although I once tried smoking cigarettes (a summer semester at Colorado State), I never took to it. So... the things the sisters taught us were easily accommodated.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy. Love the pottery so much. Look at that little clay cat....adorable. I understand about time to yourself. I have always needed it and enjoy my own company enough that I look forward to quiet, me time. I guess you are the same. Thanks Rian for your thoughtful comments about our Lily. Gosh, I miss her so much. I break down at the craziest times but I know that will pass. I plan to have a garden named after her this summer. Love the comment from the nun. Geesh....brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to *play* with the clay when I have spare moments... find a pic of a critter I like... and see how fast I can rough - sculpture him in clay. So far this semester I have a tiny bunny, a dog, and 3 cats (of course). My back gets tired leaning over the pottery wheel, so after a few hours in class, I take to my desk... and play with the clay...

      "A Lily-Bug Garden" I like it!

      Delete
  3. I can relate to going at your own pace, I've never been a mover and a shaker, maybe that's why I'm not slimline. lol
    I was hopping mad last week when the dentist told me that I needed the Hygenist because my gums were not all that good, I have visited the dentist every 6 months for years and years so how come?
    Our health care is going to the dogs here, it used to be perfect but now the treatment is rudimentary.
    Love the kitties, just watching my lot relaxes me.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also go to the dentist for cleanings every 6 months. And they've been after me to get a bridge done on my left side... and redo the cap on one tooth in the upper right. It's expensive and cosmetic for the most part, and I may eventually do it, but really don't want to spend the money... (besides this type of thing is traumatic for me - really don't like people working in my mouth!). Medicare doesn't cover it, and my dental insurance basically covers cleanings. Good luck with your gums.

      Delete
  4. I cannot bear it if every day in a week is filled. I also cannot bear it if someone else determines my timetable. No more. Not now I’m retired. Like you, if I don’t want to do something on any one day I just don’t do it.

    That’s the positive aspect of being retired.

    On the other hand, I don’t mind filling whole days being busy with things I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand perfectly, Friko. I even stopped wearing a watch when I retired...

      Delete
  5. Your potted kitty is wonderful!
    I miss time to myself and wonder if I'll be good for anything when my granddaughters are grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I can only imagine that your granddaughters will be forever grateful for the life you're giving them. If it became necessary, I hope I would have the strength to do the same. But I do hope that you find a little time for yourself amid your crazy busy schedule...

      Delete
  6. I have created a busy schedule for myself here in our winter residence. Too busy. I feel like I'm back in college taking too many credits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From reading your blogs, I imagine that you are like my daughter and flourish in a busy environment. However, taking a few moments for oneself is therapeutic...

      Delete
  7. I actually work better with deadlines, but then again, I like a scheduled life. I know about guilt, too. Your favorite things are so very sweet, in both directions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that a basic routine is good... adding some variety here and there.... but strict deadlines and scheduling only make me anxious. And I don't do my best work when I'm anxious - nor do I enjoy it. But I am aware that some deadlines and scheduling are unavoidable.

      Delete
  8. There are always deadlines where I work though I must admit they do get stretched. Sometimes I need a little pressure to get things on time but most often I've got my work completed well before the deadline. My complaint is always when someone comes to me for information and I have to respond within 24-48 hours and it's a result of their not having asked for it in a timely manner.

    My practice for retirement showed I like the freedom to be as busy or not as I like. I'm reminding myself that every day at work is bringing me one more day closer to that freedom.

    Love the hugging cats! Your pottery and quilt are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little pressure does ensure getting things done on time... it's true. But *no pressure* is so free-ing!

      Delete
  9. Your cat wants the fresher cat food. ha. what a cute cat sculpture you have on your shelf, and that chocolate looks divine, must try and see if I can find that. good for your sewing that quilt, looks super; I've had a hankering to do some patchwork lately, one of these days i hope to get out my sewing machine and get some more fabric, I never seem to get around to it though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate is really good. Green and Black is a small company (or it was) in England and someone DH knew has/had investments in it - that's how we got to try it years ago. The Dark Chocolate with hazelnuts and currants is my favorite even though I'm not a fan of hazelnuts nor currants - strange. The only place we find it here is Whole Foods.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...