Translate

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring is 'springing'...

Sign on our door... (pink sign on red door)

Found this Easter sign today at Joann's... and thought it might be a good replacement for our Merry Christmas sign.  



Red bud showing through the trees in the back

And finally... a Red bud tree blooming in the back of the house! This is our first sign of spring around here. But I have seen a few daffodils and hyacinths popping up around the neighborhood.

I have a question for anyone out there. Do any of you find it difficult to swallow large pills? And I don't necessarily mean overly large...  It's not a terribly big problem since I don't take any pills at all except for a Tylenol x-strength caplet when necessary (and I take this with buttermilk to help it slide down). But I also don't take any vitamin supplements... not even calcium. 

My family physician isn't too disturbed about this. However, he did request that I take Vitamin D3 since my blood tests show me quite low. And recently my Eye Doctor recommended I take a multiple vitamin for eye health. Most are too large, don't like the chewable (too much sugar and I'm sensitive to any sugar substitutes), and am generally leery about supplements. 

I eat well enough... no canned foods, mostly fresh, and don't have a weight problem. But I just found that One a Day for women makes a One a Day petite for people who have trouble swallowing pills. Apparently it's not in the stores and has to be ordered online through Walgreen's or a Vitamin store. I ordered it through Walgreen's and it will be delivered to the store for pickup in a few days. 

Just wondered if any of you have any comment on this. I'm ordering it blind since I know of no one who uses it and don't know how 'petite' it is. You are supposed to take 2 a day, not one... but that's fine with me. 'One a Day' is a brand name that's been around for a while.  

Also I was going through pictures for my youngest son who apparently needs a baby pic or two for some presentation he has to make. I found these pics of our 3 when they were young. 



kids on backyard swing set


Now they are all in their 40's... how time flies!  

Have a great rest of the week! And if you have any comments on vitamin supplements size and value, I'd certainly appreciate hearing them.










16 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about the vitamins, but my dad had a heck of a time with large pills. In his case, he just chewed them (yuck!) Hope these work for you.

    I chuckled at the photo of your children on the play set. We had something similar and there are pictures of my siblings and I too, though we're all in our 50's now.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't chew them... would probably get a rash inside my mouth by chewing something not made to be chewed. But I can swallow them if they are not larger than a Tylenol caplet... and coated.

      Delete
  2. Every house in the neighborhood had some version of those.
    Sorry I'm no help on the vitamins. Not only do I take several, I swallow the whole mouthful at once. Down the hatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right there. As for the pills, I wish I could do that... but even one gets stuck or stays there and chokes me. It's a good thing I don't HAVE to take anything... yet.

      Delete
  3. I take large calcium pills, but everything else is pretty usual size. I get Vitamin D3 at Costco and they are tiny little pills. I don't take any other big ones, but I take a fair number, most of them for my eyes. I also take turmeric pills which are good for all sorts of things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the chewable Calcium ones once (chocolate squares), but some of them have artificial sugars.

      Delete
  4. I am just beginning to have a bit of a problem with swallowing the larger pills. I am sure that there are work-arounds. I they are not time release perhaps you could smash them in a mortar and mix with a liquid. I hope the petite version works for you. There is so much contradiction on calcium supplements, etc. that I never know if I am doing the right thing for my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just picked up the one a day petites. They look similar to my Tylenol caplets, so I think they will be fine. I won't start them until after the Easter holiday, but will let everyone know how they do. You are supposed to take 2 daily, but I will start with one.

      Delete
  5. I hate taking pills and try to take a big swig of something to help them go down, not always successfully. Tom on the other hand can put a handful in his mouth and swallow them down in one. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently a lot of people can swallow a handful. Don't know how they do it. One gets stuck with me... but my dear friend once told me to drink buttermilk before and during the swallowing... and it does help.

      Delete
  6. I think it's fairly common to have a problem swallowing large (or any size) pills. I have a couple of friends with that issue. Most of the time they don't bother me, though I find it helps to take a few swallows of water first, before popping one. And I DO take a lot of supplements daily: omega-3, evening primrose, multi-vitamin, vitamin D3 (they're very small), glucosamine, plus calcium (chewable) and magnesium. (Those latter two because I take Pantaloc long term for the GERD issues.) Usually it's easier to swallow a gel capsule (at least for me) than to swallow a solid, hard pill. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier for me if the caplet is small, elongated, and coated.

      Delete
  7. I don't have a problem with pills--a pharmacist friend taught me to take them all at once and they just slide down. Hope you can find smaller ones as you are not alone in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a problem swallowing large pills generally and I do take supplements --multi vitamin, Calcium with D and magnesium, B vitamins for hair and nails. I do get into moods where I just can't face swallowing a bunch of tablets or capsules though. And then I come across an article about how there is no guarantee you get what the supplements are claiming so I go off them. Then I come across an article about how we aren't getting good nutrition from out food and need to take supplements. I guess I just need to work on not being so suggestible all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally don't think that we need vitamin supplements as long as we eat a fairly good diet... but I do also think that as we age, perhaps we don't get enough of some things (possibly Calcium, D3, or B6/B12).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...