Translate

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

TMI - probably...

Thank you all for the kind comments about my sister in my Mother's Day post. I was actually looking for a picture of my mom to post when I came across that one. It brought me back to how I felt about her and that beautiful baby  girl when I was still a kid myself. 

She and I were almost 10 years apart. I loved that baby girl (who btw is now a pediatrician married to a neurosurgeon) like she was my own, took care of her, and watched over her until my sister moved with her husband to Mexico City.  We visited there a few times, but she did return to New Orleans eventually. In fact, she was in N.O. and pregnant with her 4th child the same time I was pregnant with my first. 

We both had baby boys that year. But I lived in Texas so we didn't see each other too often. Still the boys remained friends... her son visiting mine in Texas when he could... and us visiting family in N.O. often. 

Her son came with us when we took our kids to Disney World (around 1984/85). He was 16 at the time. He hadn't been feeling well... (low grade fever) before we left. But he and our 3 kids seemed to have a good time. 

Once back home, he was rechecked and eventually diagnosed as having Leukemia. They sent him to Seattle for a bone marrow transplant. We thought he was doing well. Our son even flew up there to visit him and came back saying he was doing fine. 

Then something happened (possibly the treatment couldn't be continued because it was affecting his heart - never knew for sure). And before we knew it, he died.

My sister (who was battling Cancer at the time) died 6 months later. 

Probably TMI here... but that picture brought it all back. So I shared.  Don't know if I will post it or not. Will decide later.

Decided 'why not share?'  I know that many go through difficult times... and get through them. People are stronger than they think they are. And these times we're living through now are stretching our limits. I heard someone say on TV this morning, "Are we trying to save lives or our lifestyle?" I thought that very well said.

Hugs,
Rian



11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to learn of that difficult period of time in your life, Rian. As much as we love our family, we cannot keep them from harm. I'm just glad that you have remained healthy and have such a strong ability to write about your experiences. Sending you much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear all of that, and sorry for the rest of your family members as well.There are probably times when it all comes back to you. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for the losses but you must so treasure the memories of special people. Peace in yur heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so well said, life affects all of us and whether to share or not, is a personal one, but rest assured, it definitely helps immensely to others who think they are alone to know they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not too much information so much as the information almost every family has to share. Sad but true. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly went through a lot, losing your nephew and your sister in just a few months. I can imagine it was very difficult for all of the family. When I hear of situations like this I am ever more grateful that my siblings and children are all healthy. But one never knows when things might change. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was so much pain you went through with your sister and her son. I am so sorry. Was delighted that the baby in the picture has done so well. That has to help some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would guess that sharing about the enduring love and the pain of losing your loved ones is healing and helpful to others who are remembering beloved women around Mother's Day. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all of you for the kind comments. I really didn't mean to write all that... it just came pouring out. Maybe since so much time has passed, it's easier to talk/write about. It's odd how something (in this case a picture) can open up a host of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for your losses. We all have people in our lives who die, and remembering them and reflecting back on them makes us sad, but I also think it honors them to keep them in our minds -- and in a way keeps them alive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I am so sorry for the losses in your family..They are so hard, no matter how many years ago they were. (((hugs))) Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...