Translate

Friday, August 27, 2021

Had to share this...





Just had to share this poster...  

It's Friday morning and I'm preparing to go to the Eye Doctor. I have noticed lately that I have 'floaters' in my left eye. They generally do not bother me, but lately I find they are interfering with my reading.

Now from what I gather, floaters are common, and are generally not a problem. But I have also read that they could be a precursor to problems. So I thought it best to check it out.

Will continue this after I return from my appointment.

******************************

After taking a picture of my retina to be sure that it wasn't affected, I was told it looked like a floater... and that my brain would most likely get used to it and I wouldn't notice it as much after a while.

I hope so as it is a nuisance more than anything.... another inconvenience that I will add to growing older (although it's not necessarily an age thing as I was told people of all ages get them). The doctor also mentioned that they could be caused by dry eye - so using Systane drops might be something I should try - and I will.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that it wasn't the beginning of a detached retina or macular degeneration. 

*****************************

Now next on the agenda - Hurricane Ida. I have been in communication with family in New Orleans about Hurricane Ida - which has the possibility of being a Category 4 hurricane when it comes on shore (it never ends, does it?) sometime Sunday.

I know people in Louisiana can handle hurricanes.  We grew up with them. Schools let kids off, houses are boarded up, people have hurricane parties... and clean up after.  We weren't afraid of them. At least that was how it was for me growing up in New Orleans. 

But Katrina changed all that. With the pumps failing and burst levees, people drowned in their homes. Something that we thought would never happen, happened. Changed my whole mindset.

Now I worry about family and friends when the hurricanes come. Will they evacuate? No, they don't plan to... and we never did... and I understand that. But still, it's a worry.  There could be a lot of rain and N.O. can't handle too much rain. Streets flood easily. 

And it seems so unfair to have a hurricane during a pandemic. I know that sounds silly and unrealistic to say, but it's how I feel. Is it the news media making the world smaller that it seems like there's just one catastrophe after another (fires, floods, buildings collapsing, earthquakes, political upheavals, etc.). Isn't the pandemic itself enough to deal with? 

That's my thoughts for today... not necessarily uplifting, but I have high hopes that things will get better.  (Remember that song he had high hopes... oops! there goes another rubber tree plant!


Hugs (virtual),
Rian









18 comments:

  1. I like the painting and the poem. Yes, it is unfair to have hurricanes during a pandemic. I feel the same about the fires that are raging here in California, and in Canada. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Terra. Sometimes it's just too much...

      Delete
  2. I love that poster, and you reminded me once again how much alike we both look. And I could have written that message. I recently developed a couple of floaters that I see all the time, and I do have AMD, with nothing to be done about the dry version except experience my vision deteriorate a little at a time. My Paperwhite reader has made it much easier to read for long periods, so I am content at the moment. Sending you back some virtual hugs, Rian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DJan, I think we may think alike on many things... and may look alike with the white hair. Of course mine is in a long ponytail these days. I had hoped to get it cut when things were looking up, but then the Delta Variant came along... and that didn't happen. I was worried with the floaters that perhaps they were an early indication of a more serious problem. Anything that involves one's vision is worrisome. But perhaps it's the price one pays to live to this age. I'm glad your Paperwhite reader makes your reading easier. Virtual hugs to you too!

      Delete
  3. Loved the poster.
    So glad your floaters weren't serious. I have them too but like tinnitus (ringing in the ears)I have learned to ignore them. I may try drops though since I do have dry eyes.
    know how you feel. It seems there isn't a corner of the earth that isn't facing some sort of disaster.
    Praying N.O. is mostly spared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hope that the hurricane veers enough to spare New Orleans. Not that any area needs a hurricane, but N.O. simply can't handle another Katrina. And the strange thing is that Katrina hit N.O. on August 29 (tomorrow) in 2005. That alone makes me think it couldn't possibly happen again on the same day... 16 years later.

      Delete
  4. I was just thinking about you this morning Rian, our local weather news talking Hurricane Ida & it's approach, it sadly made me think of you. I very much hope you and your loved ones aren't greatly affected. You know, I liked your poster too. Honest to God, some days I see myself in a mirror and think "That's not who I am". I see a photo of myself with my grandma when I was around 16. THAT'S who I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I think that even if Hurricane Ida does hit close to N.O., it can't possibly be as bad as Katrina was, right? They've had 16 years to prepare and make sure that the pumps were ready and the levees were reinforced and something like Katrina could never happen again. But for some reason, I haven't been able to convince myself.
      And I know how you feel about the mirror... if I thought I looked like my mom or dad... or even some relative I recognized, it might be comforting. But I don't know who that person I see is...

      Delete
  5. I've had floaters for years. You get used to them, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. I've seen floaters in my eyes when my eyes were closed. These were thin squiggly lines and dots. This one that bothers my vision now is larger and more dense - kind of like a grey/black UFO oblong shape. It bothers me when my eye are open... generally reading. But I guess it's not unusual.

      Delete
  6. Awwww, the words in that poster reflect how many of us are feeling!! My mom has floaters, she also has macular, so it’s good you went to an eye doctor!! I never worry about the storms, even after super storm sandy, I think I probably should!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to worry about storms... even liked to watch them come in over the gulf when younger. Katrina changed all that.

      Delete
  7. That poster is so true; exactly how I feel. I have a floater in my left eye now. It's only one and looks like a bug hanging in front of my eye, all the time. I need to get it checked. You are right, it is something all the time! Hope all your family and friends will be safe through the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Henny. You should get your floater checked. It's probably nothing unusual, but good to check. And it is a bit nerve-wracking - this waiting for Hurricane Ida to make landfall. So far most of our family (New Orleans and Baton Rouge) are staying... a few evacuated yesterday. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as they're forecasting.

      Delete
  8. i left a comment, using my phone...i wonder if you got it. i do love the poster, thoughts i think we are all starting to feel. my mom has floaters and she has macular, so it's good you saw an eye doctor and had it checked!!

    i never take these storms seriously and i should, after living through super storm sandy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...