Translate

Sunday, May 22, 2022

characters speak up...



For those of you who are interested in stories or essays about stories, this is something I wrote for myself years ago. I came across it and it reminded me of all the stories and characters from the past that still occasionally speak to me (inside my head). 

It is an odd piece, so if you want to skip it, that's perfectly fine with me. I just thought I'd share it as some of you will recognize Annie from "Time After Time" (and in the soon to come sequel "Carrick Cove"). She spoke up in this piece along with several others. 


Main Characters converse with writer…

 

OK, it’s a fact. I love to write. Why? I don’t know. Perhaps because it uses my imagination and possibly extends the joy of youth… when imagination rules a good portion of our lives. I can well remember the feeling of being immersed in a world of my own when I was a child. Then again, writing is psychologically therapeutic. Putting down one’s thoughts on paper is liberating… clears the mind and organizes thoughts.

So... the question I’m tossing around in my head this morning is just who are the characters that pop up in our heads when writing a story?  Are they another form of ourselves? Are they a conglomeration of people we’ve known, met, loved, hated… people we’d like to be, people we’d like to know, etc.

Today I’m going to invite these characters to give me their thoughts. I want them to express what it’s like to be a character in a story. Do they enjoy it… like actors in a play? Or do they not like being manipulated by the writer? And more importantly, do they sometimes take over and do their own thing?  I feel that my characters definitely do this on occasion… and to be honest, I enjoy it when they do… because they may do or say something unexpected… something I wasn’t aware was even in my mind (or in theirs)… thus, giving the story an unforeseen turn.

Anyone out there or ‘in there’ (pertaining to inside my head) that would like to speak up?

 

“I would! And I’m not happy!”

OK, why not?

“Because you created my character years ago in a story for Nanowrimo. We were together for months developing the storyline… then you just abandoned me… in the middle of the jungle searching for answers to my brother’s murder. “

Oh, I do remember that story. “My Brother’s Keeper”, I believe.

“Yep, and I’m still out here waiting…”

Oh dear, well I did/do intend to get back to it at some point. Please be patient.

Silence.

Anyone else?

“Yes… I’d like to say something.”

Please do.

“I was the young girl who was kidnapped by the man trying to influence my father’s vote on the environmental issue. I escaped and had quite an adventure finding my way home.”

My, that was a long time ago.  I actually don’t remember the name of the story… “A long way home” maybe? But I do remember you, Claire. You were very brave.

“Yes, and I wanted to say that I loved being in that story.”

If I remember correctly, you grew up a lot on that journey and learned a lot about yourself in the process.

Anyone else?

“OK, Annie here from ‘A Time for Kindness’. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I did find myself to be an extension of you, the writer… perhaps the person you think you might become under the same circumstances?”

That’s a distinct possibility, Anne. I do love Maine and that’s where I put you in the story.

“And you’re doing it again in what you are writing now.”

Is this still Annie?

“No, this is Gladys from “The Gift of Time and Money”.

Oh, but your story is still being developed.

“Yes, and it’s been on hold since November. I was left in Ireland where I’d just inherited a small cottage in the little town of Cong which apparently was where John Wayne’s movie ‘The Quiet Man’ was filmed. I do feel like my character who finds herself the recipient of a vast inheritance in her later years a bit of wishful thinking on the writer’s part. But I’m enjoying being part of the story, especially after spending time in that lovely London flat and that darling cottage in the Cotswold’s.  But I do wonder if you will be coming back to us any time soon. “

Yes, well, sorry for that abrupt departure. The holidays and family did take me away for a bit. I do hope to be back soon and we’ll explore more of the area around Cong, Ireland before moving on to the manor house in Scotland.

Guess I’d better cut this short or I may be inundated with other previous characters wanting their say. For the most part, I’ve learned that the characters do seem to enjoy being part of the story but don’t relish being left too long on hold. Perhaps I’ll continue this line of thought at another time… and give more characters a chance to weigh in.

 

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Having written this a few years back, I’m going to say that of all these characters having their say, Annie is the one that can no longer complain - as I went back and completed her story in “Time After Time” and in the sequel “Carrick Cove” (which although completed had not been sent to Amazon for publication yet).

The others are stories still on the back burner, some completed, some not.  But whether or not they will ever be published isn’t important. What is important is the pleasure these characters gave me in cooperating with me to bring about their existence and their stories (if only in my imagination).

 

*********************************

 

If you’ve read this far, thank you.  I didn’t expect you to. But I like communicating with the characters I’ve created over the years. Feels a little like Schitzophrenia as in some ways they may be a part of my own psychological make-up. Anyway, I wanted to share their thoughts here. They all made valuable points and deserved to be heard.  (And over the years, there’s a possibility that I might have shared this before… if so, forgive me as my memory does have its days.)


Hugs,

Rian



16 comments:

  1. I loved hearing the conversation in your mind playing out on the screen. Wherever these characters come from, they are as real to me as people I've met. Thank you for sharing the process here. I wouldn't mind a bit more conversations with these interesting people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan for the kind words... and not thinking I'm out of my mind. They do talk to me in my head, so the possibility of sharing more conversations is there.

      Delete
  2. Rian, you are my kind of people. Heck yes, talk to these characters! I enjoyed this and I want to hear more from Gladys, please. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, you make me think that maybe my reality is not so different... thanks... and Gladys says thanks too!

      Delete
  3. Smiling. On the rare occasions I write my characters often call the shots and take me in unexpected directions. Which is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes surprising what the characters say or do... but fun, don't you think, EC?

      Delete
  4. Very interesting. I hope you and the characters keep up the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Olga, the conversation keeps up... that's for sure, but whether or not I share more, that's the question.

      Delete
  5. Thoroughly enjoyed your chats with characters but the one who is still waiting made me feel badly for the characters I have left in limbo with the few attempts at a book I abandoned. I agree, lets have more character chats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too feel bad for the ones I left in limbo. Maybe once I get this sequel published, I will go back and take up those unfinished stories (...if just to let them know they are not forgotten). Maybe you should too, Patti.

      Delete
  6. This is so incredible. Unique. And mysterious in a way. To chat with past created characters just brings out a slew of entertaining thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni, these characters were created and still exist (in my head). So whether they remain in limbo or go on with their created lives is my call... and my responsibility. May be a strange way to look at things, but it's how it works for me.

      Delete
  7. These poor characters. There are your children and came back to blame you for all their failures. Yes, I am smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are 'guilting' me into going back and continuing their stories...

      Delete
  8. people who write are extremely creative, able to think outside the box. such interesting conversations...take them off the back burner, i think you will enjoy finishing them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. So glad to have you back. I will think about finishing the ones left stranded... usually something (life) just got busy and took me away from continuing.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...