Translate

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Rereading an old favorite…

When I run out of reading material, I tend to reread old favorites. Two of my old favorites are Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly and Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine -  both historical fiction. Galway Bay follows a family during the potato famine in Ireland and  Lady of Hay is the story of a present life young Journalist who is regressed back through hypnosis to the 12th century. This 2nd book took my friend and I all the way to Hay on Wye in Wales to see the castle where the Lady of Hay spent her last days imprisoned in the castle dungeon. Good books make an impression. I’m rereading Lady of Hay now… so good.

I also read all the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. They did a pretty good job with the TV series with those. Often when a book is turned into a movie or TV series, it never quite makes the transition… but I think they did well with The Outlander (IMO anyway).

By the way, Olivia (black and white feral female) is finally taking all 5 of her kittens to our back porch. They are so cute… 3 black and whites, one black with white feet, and one all black. 

And today I’m cooking an experimental meal for just us but  to be served  again next week for guests. I needed to see if it were possible to make it all ahead of time so I didn’t have to cook all day when they were here. It consists of a chicken casserole, a vegetable soufflĂ©, and potatoes… and cheese biscuits. My usual guest fare is either a roast with veggies or sour cream chicken enchiladas with red beans, rice, and a Mexican corn dip with chips. But I need to branch out…








And it’s our daughter’s birthday coming up in a few weeks… so I’ve got to get busy and send her some home-made nutty granola and espresso shortbread cookies (her favorites).  

Good thing I enjoy cooking…

Well no more nights staying awake thinking about AI or whatever… thank goodness.  I guess I should be glad that those 'dark nights of the soul' don’t come very often.

Hope you are all having a good week so far. 

On a 'my bad' note, my experimental dinner came out fine. I can apparently make everything but the garlic roasted potatoes the day before (could probably do them also - but they are so easy). BUT... I has a few uncooked pieces of chicken left that wasn't needed for the recipe, so I stuck it in the Aga to cook for 15 minutes around 7 pm... and FORGOT IT!  I remembered around 11pm (just as I was putting my book down and calling it a night). So... instead of 15 minutes, it cooked for about 4 hours! Yep, burned to a crisp. Haven't done that in a long time. Usually it's a baked potato that I forgot about until the next morning - cremated. 

Oh well... getting old and forgetful. Problem is that my timer has a very low tone. I don't always hear it. And yes, I probably need to check into hearing aids, just haven't got to it. 

Take care my friends. Enjoy the rest of the week. They really go by very fast. 

Hugs (virtual),

Rian

 



19 comments:

  1. There are some books that I reread often. Comfort reads I suppose. I read them when I am stressed or when nothing 'new' appeals.
    Sigh on the cremated chicken. It happens. And hooray for your experimental dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Since it was only 2 small pieces of chicken that were cremated, I didn't mind so much... just hated to waste them... but did anyway.

      Delete
  2. Rian, your books sound excellent, particularly the second one. Have you ever read 'Time and Again' by Jack Finney, 1970? About a man in modern times who fashions an apartment in the 19th century to see if living like he belongs there, he'll go back in time to that era. It's a great novel, complete with genuine tintype photos (supposedly taken by the traveler). Well, your "trial food" sounded delicious but omigosh about the forgotten chicken in the Aga, I'm sorry for chuckling at that, not funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read Time and Again... but I will check into it. Sounds like something I might like. I read and saw the movie of The Time Traveler's wife... not great, but not bad either. The idea of time travel doesn't seem that strange to me.
      No problem with chuckling over the forgotten chicken... it was kind of funny. DH and grandson kid me about doing that occasionally. I find toast in the 250 F oven sometimes days later... the Aga is vented up on the roof... so you never smell anything.

      Delete
  3. I like to reread books. Sadly I cannot remember them until I come across them, and I've given away all my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joanne. I'd given away these 2 favorites years ago... and just found them again when a friend was getting rid of her old books... giving me a chance to re-read them.

      Delete
  4. Your food sounds delicious (except the chicken, lol). I do like to re-read my favorite books. And I have many. I collected series of cozy mysteries in the 70's and 80's and I like to start with book one and read through them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cozy mysteries are my next favorite, Miss Merry... and I have reread many of them too.

      Delete
  5. I use the timer on my cell phone for lots of things going on in the kitchen, or I'll forget, unless I smell something burning! Be careful! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my kitchen timer normally and try to remember to use my cell phone also... but sometimes I forget.

      Delete
  6. I recall reading (and enjoying) the Lady of Hay. I've not read Galway Bay, but will check my local library - it does sound like a read I would enjoy. Nor have I read all of the Outlander series .- just borrowed one a few weeks ago from the library and had to rush to finish it. They are long reads!
    Well done on the meal. With your stove timer so quiet, maybe set a reminder on another device? I use a Google Home mini more for timers and reminders than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually all of those books are pretty long reads... but The Outlander series goes on and on.. (it is good, though).
      And yes, I do try to set my cell phone timer also... but tend to forget on occasion.

      Delete
  7. I do not know these authors but the books sound interesting. I have not reread books in ages because I have too many still on the shelves that are unread. Last week in Georgia I placed books in 8 large bags that I carried here to Nashville to give to my next-door neighbor, a PhD student in literature. I still have at least 2000 books in GA to clear out of the house before I can sell it. The problem is that I want to keep too many and the bookshelves here in Nashville are almost full. (I’m not sure I’ll live long enough to read them all !) Your dinner sounds delicious. I have not cooked for anyone in a long time because I know no one here in Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure my comment above came under my name or anonymous, this was Vagabonde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ! Sounds like you are another book lover! We cleared out our shelves (or almost - still quite a few everywhere) last year. It's hard to get rid of books. But it's nice to know someone else will enjoy reading them. There are stacks of them on my night table and on the floor around my bed.
      And we haven't actually had guests over in ages (since before the pandemic), so I'm trying to get better at doing this. But I have to admit, at almost 78, cooking for more than 3 isn't that easy anymore.

      Delete
  9. i wondered about being able to cook the potatoes ahead of time, i think mashed potatoes always go well with chicken, that you could make ahead of time and turn into a casserole. however, the potatoes look delicious!! the chicken looks good, how did you prepare it?? i love to cook also, and i know you put a lot of thought into the food you make for company!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mashed potatoes do go well with chicken, but the garlic roasted potatoes seem to look better plated next to the carrot souffle' - I could send you the recipe, but if you just google or Pinterest "Marry Me Chicken" you'll find it. My daughter got it off Pinterest.

      Delete
  10. I will have to seek out your book recommendations, I'm a fan of castles and Wales where we lived as a newly married couple. Your chicken recipe looks delicious, I'm always looking for new recipes to try out.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I think you would like Lady of Hay. And we loved Wales when we visited in 1998. We stayed at a 300 year old farm 'Cilfodig' - not far from Hay on Wye...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...