Translate

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Sunday trivia - of little importance, but still...

Baking again... Guinness espresso brownies, home-made nutty granola, and caramel pecan bars. 

None of it is for us though... (but of course DH and grandson will get a taste). 

Guinness brownies are for one daughter-in-law who loves Guinness and we're heading over there today to see Harvey (new cat for granddaughter). The others are to be sent to our daughter who has a birthday this week and also to our oldest son and his wife who have been experiencing terrible storms this past week where they live in South Texas. Apparently they only lost their wood fence, but some neighbors have lost their fences and all or part of their roofs.

Sending baked goodies is no real big help, but it may bring some comfort... little else we can do. And I do remember my mother-in-law (when she was still with us) sending us boxes of goodies she baked ever so often and how we enjoyed getting them. So, I'm trying to continue the tradition.




Nothing else especially interesting going on. We did meet our new neighbors down the block yesterday. They moved in about 3 houses down and are a young couple with an 18 month old daughter and 3 month old son. They were sitting outside with the grandmother and baby when DH and I went on our neighborhood walk. We stopped and talked to them for a little bit... and it was good to meet them and nice to have some younger people on the block.

Our immediate next door neighbors have twin 7 year old girls. They are the youngest kids we generally see... but of course there could be others. Our neighborhood is not one for going in and out people's houses. When our old neighbors who downsized and moved to Houston to be closer to their daughter lived there, we did socialize with them a bit... occasionally watching a game together or having coffee. And when we were younger and living in Florida, most of us had young kids and were in and out of each other's houses all day. But those days have gone...

By the way, Olivia (mama cat) takes her 5 kittens out a lot now. She likes to lie on the side driveway and watch them play. She's a very good mother. They can all be playing and she will suddenly sit up and call them - and all 5 come running! Then she will lead them off for a walk.

Oh, and I must show you the 2 new purchases from Amazon that I love:


This dish dryer rack is to replace my old black one that I can't get all the hard water stains off the rubber. I finally gave up and just bought a new one.




And this is a phone lanyard. I struggle with constantly losing my phone in the house... it is black and has a clear case protector - which just disappears when lying on dark furniture, etc. (my old case protector was pink and easy to see). Anyway, I didn't want to have to spend the money on a new case protector, so saw this under cell phone accessories. It was not expensive and comes with 2 lanyards. I use the colorful one so that even if it's not around my neck or wrist, it can be easily seen. Works for me!


(for whatever reason my left align just moved to center and nothing I do will change it...??? Sometimes I have no idea why blogger does what it does... like occasionally changing all your word size to huge. But that one I know how to fix.)


 Enjoy your Sunday! 

Hugs (virtual),

Rian







14 comments:

  1. Rian, those expresso brownies sound soo good, that picture looked tasty too. Very nice what you're doing for them. I also liked that Kitchen-Aid compact drying rack, please give us an update on it (if you like it and such), I've been wanting to replace my own black dishrack. By the way, clicked on that photo to blow it up and enjoyed seeing your homey kitchen. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, the espresso brownies were good (not great, but good). We found the frosting too sweet... next time I will make them and forget the frosting. And so far I like the drying rack. I only put it up today, so we shall see. But already it looks better than the old one.

      Delete
  2. Baked treats are a wonderful expression of love. I am very, very sure that your efforts are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I'm pretty sure the kids do enjoy the goodies. Who doesn't like getting treats in the mail?

      Delete
  3. Gosh those baked goods look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to hear about your feral kitties. And Blogger sometimes does the strangest things, doesn't it? I know how to force things in some cases, too. And all that good stuff sounds very tasty indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitties are doing well. And yes, Blogger seems to have it's 'issues' once in a while.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing quite like home-baked goodies for comfort, and everything looks delicious!

    Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Just back from FedExing them to the kids.

      Delete
  6. We have the same rack. I wrote about it earlier. My husband used Rain-X waterless car wash and rain repellent on the mat. This is the Walmart website address for it. It was my brother who mentioned it to us but he used a different Rain-X. Art preferred this one. It's great at keeping that whitish calcium build-up from forming. We do periodically wipe the water droplets off though.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-x-Waterless-Car-Wash-Rain-Repellent-32-fl-oz-620100W/159580923?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227159580923_146057812721_18620620757&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=628676398232&wl4=pla-594808802352&wl5=9032796&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=159580923&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwxr2iBhBJEiwAdXECwzO-7Ghi37g4LWWULTohdqiBPZR1UN4goJcx-nZAGDAI9wrLp6N3vBoCwzsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do remember your mentioning the dish rack... probably why it stuck in my mind when I was looking through Amazon. Never heard of Rain-X, but will check it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. you are such a kind person to bake those goodies for family. my niece always gets my favorite things when i visit...my sweet ice tea, bagels, things like that, it makes me feel special!! but i am the baker, so if i want home baked goods, i have to make them!!

    nice purchases, i like the phone lanyard, that's a really good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, the phone lanyard is working really well for me... no more wondering where my phone is...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...