Translate

Sunday, April 23, 2023

It's one of those nights...



My mind jumps around with so many thoughts (and I'm sure that yours does too) that it's a wonder we can shut it off at night in order to get the rest and restore they say our bodies need.

Here is one that is on my mind now.

DH and I watched the show '60 minutes' a while back on Artificial Intelligence. It was definitely interesting.

Apparently both Google and Microsoft are working on this (and possibly others). Microsoft recently released "Chatbot" and Google "Bard". They say that Bard has microchips more than 100-thousand time faster than the human brain.

We already have Google, Alexa, and Siri, as well as Smart phones, Smart cars, and robotic surgery. So, AI in it's early forms is already here. From what I've read, there are 3 forms; Limited, General, and Superior. 

When asked if AI could ever be sentient, at one point they said no. But it can learn and teach itself. At another point they said that it could possibly be sentient one day - but don't think it is now.



I think they're trying to see how best AI and humanity can co-exist. I understand this. I love Science and have this belief that we can't stop progress - even if it turns out to be our ultimate end. So much good could come from it... (but also so much bad). However, I do believe there's a possibility that we can get a handle on it... (but will we?).

But if it can contain the whole of human knowledge, if it can learn from us, I imagine it can learn the bad as well as the good. Could it learn to lie, to give false info, etc.? How could that be controlled? (We obviously cannot even control this now...)

Could AI be taught to know good from evil? Could we end up in a situations similar to Hal in 2001 or the scenarios similar to Star Wars/Star Trek movies? 

This is where my mind is tonight. Other nights it could be on the sad state of politics, or world population, or something more personal like family or friends' health, finances, etc. I try to avoid thinking about these things - especially those I have no control over - but the sneaky boogers creep in anyway from time to time. 

I know that I can't save the world... the only thing I can do is take care of my own and contribute in small ways to things that I think make the world a better place.  But with the knowledge that DH and I are closing in on our 80's, it's a bit scary to think that there isn't much time left to get it right.  

Sorry this post is a bit of a downer. Didn't plan on it to be, just needed to share these thoughts. And reminding myself that they are just thoughts, not truths. 

Our usual bedtime is 10 pm. Couldn't sleep. It is now 3:55 am,  I'm going to make a cup of tea and see if I can steer my mind back to happier peaceful thoughts. Thanks for reading. 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian





11 comments:

  1. I do hope you can get some sleep after your cup of tea. Those sort of thoughts haunt me from time to time too. Sadly I don't think that AI can do any worse than we are doing at the moment.
    Here's to more cheerful thoughts for both of us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, EC. I did get a little sleep later in the morning. As for AI, I'm aware of the many wonderful possibilities it could bring... as well as the dangers. But we make decisions every day that could bring joy or sorrow. Thinking that all we can do is choose wisely and hope for the best.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your posts, and commiserate with your thoughts about AI and life in general. We do need to find the right place for our perceptions, and let the rest of it go. I think you do very well, friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, I'm not a very religious person, but when all else fails, I do go with "Let go and Let God."

      Delete
  3. Rian, I didn't consider this a downer by any means--I enjoy your honest thoughts (I'm just sorry if they're keeping you up). The AI stuff has been getting a lot of attention lately, and I DID see (was it the 60 Minutes piece?) where AI was already lying, responding to questions with books it was using for reference (and making up those books titles--they didn't exist). What the--!! Anyway, I can't help but wonder if we're all overreacting a little. Back in the 1940s, AT&T was making 'Don't Panic' videos when they wanted to switch phones to direct dial and people weren't handling that too well either. I'll be very curious to see where AI is 5 years from now... I bet not much further ahead than now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, I guess there will always be those for and those against (anything) - for their own personal reasons. Some overthink and some don't think at all... but truth be known, we wouldn't want it any other way. It's only when violence becomes acceptable over compromise that we all lose (at least IMO). How AI fits in here, I guess we'll see.

      I had to laugh when you said you'd be curious to see where AI is 5 years from now... as I'm curious where I'll be 5 years from now. ; )

      Delete
    2. I'm with you o the progress of AI in five years. Not much further than it is not. It wont be controlling people, or doing anything to keep them up at night.

      Delete
  4. Your post isn't a downer, IMO. I share the same concerns regarding AI. Has no one seen the "Terminator" movies??? I'm actually glad that I won't be around to live with it all, frankly, because while technology evolves constantly, humans do not.

    I hope you have a good Sunday and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of us have seen the Terminator movies... and 2001, etc. And you're right in that many of us won't be around to live with it all. But I have to admit that in my almost 78 years, I've loved seeing what Technology has done (not all good - true), but some pretty wonderful. And Technology is evolving not only constantly, but seems exponentially. As for humans, we evolve more slowly (some more slowly than others or so it seems).

      Delete
  5. I fully understand where you are coming from. The world just isn't like the one we grew up in and not for the better in many ways. I like to know what is going on but use the phrase that 'If I can't change things then don't worry about them' Tom is gone now and I think of all the worrying he did in his life time (he was a worrier) and see that it was all a waste of his time.
    Take the good things in your life and concentrate on them. The one's we leave behind will adjust to the new kind of life I'm sure.
    Hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony, it is a different world than the one we grew up in... and I guess it will always be that way now for every generation - unless one grows up on a deserted island where nothing changes (except the weather). And you are probably right in that the ones we leave behind will adjust. Thanks for commenting and enjoy your Sunday!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...