Translate

Thursday, May 18, 2023

a post Mother's Day meal... and some odds and ends



our post celebratory Mother's Day Meal
 
dessert: bread pudding


This was our post celebratory Mother's Day meal... we had Wednesday evening at our favorite Italian restaurant. I can't recall the names of each of the entree's - but mine is a wonderful mix of veggies with chicken and pasta. DH's is a pasta with sausage and cheese. Both are beyond wonderful and enough to take home for another meal. And of course we always share their bread pudding (another favorite of ours - if made right - and they do!)


The next few pics are just some odds and ends that I wanted to share:




Cookie and Harvey - youngest granddaughter's companions

my tomatoes 

the little bunnies I bought in the hill country

All else is good. I got phone calls, texts, and flowers for Mother's Day and DIL brought over some home-made Tiramisu... which was wonderful. I also tried a new recipe for custard cake (I love anything custard so had to try it). It's definitely a keeper...

And that's about it here. The feral cats are all doing well. Life goes on.

I did lose my Amazfit watch for a week. It was on my wrist when I went to Walmart's and not when I returned last week. Lost and Found had one that I'm not sure was mine, so didn't take it... looked old. But when I went back this week, it still was the only one they had - so I took it. It did sync up with my phone (don't know if they all do??). Anyway, I took it home and cleaned it well with lysol wipes and it seems to be working fine. 

Also I've made some progress in cleaning out the computer room... not a lot mind you, but actually shredded several boxes of bills and papers that belonged to both my brother and my mom (both deceased). It's taken me this long to do that. Bill died in 2000 and mom in 2008. I decided it was time...  And I put out 2 boxes of 'stuff' on the sidewalk for anyone to take if they get there before the garbage pickup in the morning. It could be garage sale stuff, but we don't do garage sales.

OK, that's it folks. I going to make myself a cup of tea and do a load of wash (exciting life, yes? but still happy to be here).  Take care and know that I look forward to reading your posts! 




Hugs (virtual),

Rian


20 comments:

  1. It is years since I have had bread and butter pudding and now I am drooling. True comfort food - like a good rice pudding.
    I love our odds and ends and that you found your watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true comfort food (as is rice pudding). And I'm glad to have my watch back (although I still don't think this one was mine - it's a bit more scratched up, but works).

      Delete
  2. You remind me that looking into the life of those we care about is always interesting, even when nothing much happens. Thank you for the reminder that compassion is powerful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, maybe it's just the communication that's important... and knowing that someone out there cares... even just a little bit.

      Delete
  3. The kitchen often makes old favorites for us, and bread pudding shows up occasionally. Some turn up their noses and others are pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the kitchen makes old favorites for you... and of course, you can't please everyone... but it's still nice that they try.

      Delete
  4. You had a wonderful extended Mother's Day celebration, it seems. It's been years since I've had bread pudding; I love it.

    Your tomatoes are doing well, and I love those cute bunnies.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes do look like they're thriving... so far. The cucumber vine is spreading well too... but so far no cukes. If it gets too hot too fast, I'll probably lose them all... but it's fun to watch them grow.

      Delete
  5. It's hard to go wrong with Italian food! Compassion and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to branch out... try something different, but generally get the same thing as we like it so much.

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious, Rian. I'm so happy for you that you had a lovely Mother's Day. I was able to do a ZOOM call with our kids and that was wonderful too.

    Yes, compassion would truly improve humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did Zooms and Skypes during the pandemic. I guess the pandemic did teach us some new things. And thanks for sharing your trips... love all the pictures!

      Delete
  7. Different Italian food that I have eaten, but love bread pudding. I got rid of my Fitbit watch as I could never tell the time and I didn't need it for steps as I know how much I walk and it did not sync with my exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, mine is not a Fitbit (although I'm sure they're somewhat similar), it's an Amazfit. But to be honest, I use it mostly for the buzz it gives me when my iPhone is ringing somewhere and I don't hear it (and it tells you who is calling).

      Delete
  8. i have read this before, did i leave a comment!! the food looks amazing, and yay for tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food was great... and yes, tomatoes seem to be doing well. Oh... and granddaughter brought me about a dozen Black Swallowtail caterpillars... and some dill. I don't have any dill in my garden so she will have to keep supplying me or I will have to buy dill at the grocery... to feed these little guys.

      Delete
  9. Bread pudding, I haven't had it in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread pudding with whiskey sauce is something my family always had... and although this restaurant doesn't do the whiskey sauce, it's really good - and not too sweet (which is how I like it).

      Delete
  10. Dear Rian, ah, bread pudding--a favorite of mine since Mom made it for dessert when we were little. I wonder if families end their meals with dessert now. We always had supper--a big meal--with a dessert following: canned peaches (canned by Mom) or cherry pie (the cherries picked and canned by Mom) or pear cobbler or blackberry cobbler, both fruits picked by Mom or us and then baked. Lots of different desserts that were essential--we thought--to a complete meal. When I went to the convent, the nuns seemed to feel the also. We always had a dessert. One of the postulants with whom I entered had been raised in Colorado and her family struggled to survive because of lack of money. When we entered on a Thursday in late June and had dessert she thought that was because a new "class" had entered. But then we had dessert each night following, and she was amazed. Never before had she had dessert--or a sugary treat--in her life. Only on really special occasions like Easter or Christmas. That was the first time I became aware of real poverty. Peace from Dee and the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee! Growing up we probably didn't have dessert every night... but often enough. We weren't poor, but certainly not rich either. I was the finicky eater... mom gave me cod liver oil. But I loved and still love bread pudding - or almost any type of custard.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...