Translate

Friday, May 5, 2023

Harvey, new dental partial, and a good rice pudding recipe...

I think I've previously mentioned that our youngest granddaughter has a new kitten/cat. Actually he's almost one year old... so possibly a young cat. He's an orange domestic shorthair and his name is Harvey.  Here is a pic of granddaughter and Harvey in the dog's bed. Cookie is her French bulldog. He and Harvey seem to get along pretty well - although Cookie may be a tad jealous.




Next in the news is that - as of Wednesday, I have a removable dental partial (bridge). Told the dentist today that now I know what a horse feels like when they put a bit in his mouth. This partial is connected on both sides with a small silver palate that sits over my palate. Feels strange... Making rice pudding at the moment for 2 reasons. First because I like it and second because it is soft and easier to eat with this new bit in my mouth. 

Had to go back Thursday to have some adjustments made. Does feel a bit better now. Guess it will take some getting used to. I have been missing 3 back teeth on my upper left side for some time now. It puts all the pressure when eating on my right... which isn't good, so I finally agreed to the partial.

Note: if you like rice pudding, this is an easy (and good!) recipe:

Ingredients:

1.5 cups cold water

3/4 cup uncooked white rice

1.5 cups milk (I use whole milk

1/3 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg beaten

1 tablespoon butter (I use unsalted)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup heavy cream (can use regular milk here - but I like it rich)

2/3 cup golden raisins (optional - I don't like raisins)


Step 1:

Pour water into saucepan and bring to boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed (about 20 mins.)

Step 2:

Combine cooked rice, 1.5 cups milk, sugar, and salt in a clean saucepan. Cook stirring often  until thick and creamy... (about 10-15 mins).

Step 3:

Stir in heavy cream (or another 1/2 cup milk), beaten egg, (and raisins if desired - I don't) Cook 2 mins more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until combined.  Good served warm or cold. 


DH and I went out to run some errands this afternoon. The weather is really hot and muggy. Temp is 93 F and feels like 102 F.  I actually like humidity - find it comforting and relaxing (probably due to being raised in New Orleans without AC as a child). But - it is the first day of Texas heat that I'm noticing...

Never the less, we stopped at a favorite coffee shop for coffee and a hot chocolate. We usually sit outside there, but this time we stayed inside - in the AC.

And of course with the temp that high, we are now getting alerts for severe Thunderstorm watches...

Update: Love my new KitchenAid dish dryer rack!




and just for fun - love my cat dish towels the kids give me!




 It's Friday! Have a good weekend! 

Be safe, have fun, make someone smile!


Hugs (virtual),

Rian



16 comments:

  1. I suppose the cat is in that bed only because it belongs to the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could very well be, Joanne. Although when we had our inside cats, they would all take possession of any bed or boxes around...

      Delete
  2. I really like that dish rack. Enough that I am googling it. (You know when you are really old when you google dish racks, LOL) Hope your mouth feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did, Miss M, I checked it out on Amazon... I think it was probably after I saw it on Kay's blog.

      Delete
  3. Rian, I appreciate you sharing your partial story--I'm glad it's feeling better. I have 3 missing back molars, bottom left and have been putting off getting something for a couple years now. No one can see them, but I still feel like a hillbilly. Thanks for sharing that rice pudding recipe too, just reading it stirred up memories of my grandma who made that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know what you mean, Dug. Even though my missing teeth were also in the back and not particularly seen, it did bother me. But between my fear of dental work and the cost, I'd always put it off. Right now the partial feels better after some adjustment, but it still may need more. And rice pudding isn't everyone's favorite... but I really like it!

      Delete
  4. It is years since I have had rice pudding - a real comfort food.
    I hope your partial continues to settle. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a comfort food, EC... and this is the first time I've tried a recipe for it that I liked.

      Delete
  5. I do hope you get used to that bit in your mouth sooner rather than later. It sounds a little bit awful, to tell you the truth. Just reading that rice pudding recipe is soothing to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit awkward... having the bit in my mouth, but I'm trying to keep it there daily. Only problem is that it seems when I eat... food gets up under the silver palate and then the partial dislodges. Guess it needs another adjustment.

      Delete
  6. Harvey is adorable! I'm partial to orange kitties...and tabbies too.
    I have no back teeth on the upper left side - my dentist hasn't suggested a partial and I'll hold off as long as I can. Good luck with the "bit".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a bit partial to orange kitties too, Mae... although I'm probably partial to all of them when it comes down to it. Kittens are adorable... no matter the color. As for the bridge - it's supposed to keep me from wearing down the teeth on the right side. But it still needs adjustment... so we'll see.

      Delete
  7. i have never made rice pudding, the hubs loves it so maybe i will try!! the towels are adorable and i am wishing you good luck with your dental work/partial denture. my teeth are not what they are used to be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rice pudding too... and have tried several recipes over the years. But I do really like this one. As for the partial, I'm going in for another adjustment this afternoon.

      Delete
  8. I thik I made that pudding many years ago. My husband had a partial plate for many years for teeth that never came in when he was a child. It got adjusted and changed over the years. Now he has permanent implants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still getting used to the partial... but don't want implants. I know they are great as DH has them... but just would rather not be that invasive.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...