Translate

Sunday, November 26, 2023

a Thanksgiving 2023 update...

I thought about putting away the Easter tablecloth and the Halloween pumpkins and just doing the whole table and room Christmas for Thanksgiving... but only 'thought' of doing that. Decided it much easier each holiday to just add something new. So I added a Santa to the middle of the table and kept the bunny tablecloth and pumpkins... not sure anyone noticed or cared. 


Thanksgiving Table 2023

I do have a Pumpkin tablecloth as well as a Christmas one, but I just love the 'bunny' one... so I tend to leave it on. Anyway the family and the food take precedence, right? 

And I try to take photos at family gatherings so we can reminisce later - but get so busy either cooking or talking that I never take as many as I'd like. Luckily daughter was willing to take on this job and got some good videos as well as still shots.  She took this video of all of us gathering in front of the fireplace (actually this is the second attempt - everyone was acting silly in the first try so we had to go again.) Then she made the best part into a still photo. Here it is:




We actually didn't think to take any photos of the food... but there was a lot of it... so some was sent home with the kids.  

Friday morning after Thanksgiving is our traditional day to get our tree... and we always go to the same place where they have the best freshest Frasier Firs (they last forever and don't even drop their needles by the day after New Year - which is when we take the tree down). Our SIL used his truck and we got the tree loaded and home pretty quickly. 

Love the smell of a fresh tree in the house! DH and I tried to go artificial a few years ago, but just couldn't. We missed the tradition and smell of a real Christmas tree. It just wasn't the same. 


Naked tree...

It will take a while to get it decorated. I'm very slow and only do a few ornaments at a time. But eventually I'll post the completed tree. 

Also, while we were at the garden center where we bought the tree, we took pics there. They had some really cute places that were picture worthy. So we all took a few. Here's the one of DH and me.


We're not actually smiling, but it works...

And just for those who might be interested, the ferals did get their share of turkey too. So did Moose (daughter's Great Dane) who, by the way, was very well behaved. Here's a few pics of him:




OK, enough about Thanksgiving...  it's over.  Now on to Christmas! 
Hoping all of you had a nice Thanksgiving and are preparing for a wonderful Christmas. Lots to do.  Thanks for reading and letting me share. 

Hugs (virtual),
Rian

(Also I want to say that it feels weird to post good things when around the world people are suffering... )










29 comments:

  1. My gosh what an impressive post! Had to smile at the reasoning behind the bunny tablecloth, but it looked stylish and whimsical, and your room looked homey & beautiful--as did that wonderful family photo! That is frame-worthy. Your bare Cmas tree is impressive as well, please show us how it looks when you're done decorating. And finally Rian, please don't feel awkward or such posting about happy times with everything else going on... we need posts like yours to remind us of all the good things. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dug. I love the bunny tablecloth, but need to take it off eventually. The family photo was taken from several videos that my daughter took. Very difficult to get everyone to stop joking and acting silly - but she finally got a semi- good shot (and the videos are funny, can't be posted, but will be kept for reminiscing).

      Delete
  2. Beautiful table setting, and I too love your bunny tablecloth !
    It takes several days to transform the house with the magic of Christmas but well worth the effort and memories.
    A live tree smells incredible, can't wait to see the pictures of it decorated and in it's finery.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! It was kind of an eclectic setting, but it worked. I will start pulling out more Christmas as the days go by. And yes, a live tree smells incredible and is part of the magic of Christmas for us (however we do still miss our inside cats - last gone during the pandemic - and how much they enjoyed the live tree in the house)

      Delete
  3. It looks as though your holiday was wonderful. We failed to get any leftovers...that is my only regret and that I have two casserole dishes still at my daughter's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! No leftovers! That was what my SIL said when they got home too. I did send some home with youngest son, but when asked, granddaughter only took home dessert. Leftovers are almost gone here.

      Delete
  4. Being grateful for the good things in your own life adds positive vibrations throughout the world so don't feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga. I hope that's true... Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful family photo! And I love the bunny tablecloth. We took photos of all the food. I wish we had taken photos of family instead. Today is a mix of Christmas and fall in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely set table. I love the bunny tablecloth and I think it is a wonderful idea to add something each holiday.
    That tree is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. Adding something each holiday makes it easier than changing the whole setting. I'm into easy these days.

      Delete
  7. Moose was VERY well behaved. I am glad you shared your celebration with the ferals. Love your decorations. You are soooo right about the smell of a real tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time Moose has visited (they live in the Hill country which is about 5 hours away) and he WAS very well behaved...

      Delete
  8. Your bunny tablecloth is sweet! Life is short, decorate as you wish!

    I'm glad you had a lovely family Thanksgiving, the still shot of the group is terrific, as is the pic of you and your husband. Nice to see you both together. 🙂

    As for your tree, it's glorious! I'm looking forward to seeing it decorated.

    BTW, the world needs more good posts, more happy posts. Especially now. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, Kim, we don't have many pics of DH and I together as I'm usually the one taking the pics. And I hope to start trimming the tree this week.

      Delete
  9. That is absolutely wonderful! Your group photo turned out beautifully. I'm going to have to assign someone to do it this coming Saturday for our belated Thanksgiving. I'm usually scurrying about doing this or that also. I did used to love the smell of pine trees before I lost my sense of smell. We did get an artificial tree when we moved to Hawaii just because I've heard about invasive bugs that often hitch-hiked to Hawaii with the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, can't wait to see your belated Thanksgiving photos!! Do have someone else in charge of doing it as I know about the 'scurrying'. It's hard to get it all done on your own.

      Delete
  10. I love that bunny tablecloth! We got our tree today, too from a cut your own place. It’s the earliest we’ve ever got one! It’s not in the house yet. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, we like having the tree for as long as we can... usually from the day after Thanksgiving to the day after New Year. And that real tree smell is wonderful. Please post pics of your tree once you get it inside!

      Delete
  11. I like it all. That group picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I loved your post about your Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  12. Bunny table cloth is cute. Great Dane is capable of curling up into a little puppy! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moose is 14, but thinks he's a puppy... and will try to get on your lap. He's a sweetheart.

      Delete
  13. I am with you on a real tree. The smell is wonderful. We take ours down on New Years Day and they always last till then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Ellen. Our tree is not just for looks, it's for the ambiance... and the scent is part of it for us.

      Delete
  14. I love seeing your family all together, and the portrait of you, DH and Santa is also really fun. That's a lovely tree! I look forward to seeing it all dressed up. It looks like you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a really nice Thanksgiving... and the pictures did come out pretty good. It's hard to get 10 people (9 people and one dog) to stand still, look straight ahead, and smile at the same time - ha!)

      Delete
  15. what a great post sharon...i really enjoyed all the pictures because as you know, i am a picture person!!! i have 2 huge bins of thanksgiving decorations and i did not put one thing out. i did take out a few "fall" decorations, a few pumpkin things but that was it!! we did not get a posed picture of the gang this year, i did get one of everyone eating but a few people were missing. i took the picture so i am missing as well!! your tree is gorgeous...i decorated the day after thanksgiving and i am all done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I put some more Christmas out today... started on our small kitty tree (which has ornaments of our fur babies that have gone on - and are hopefully awaiting us to join them at some point). And I actually took off the Bunny tablecloth and put on the Christmas one!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...