Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Sunday morning around here...

 


This is one of the reasons I like Sunday mornings... usually there's no appointments to get to, nothing that HAS to be done, etc. Just a day of rest. Not that as retired folk, we can't do this every day, but retired or not, there are always responsibilities. Houses have to be cleaned, bills have to be paid, food has to be cooked, appointments to go to, etc. 

I like to cook on Sundays so usually I put a roast in or something that makes the house smell like Sunday (my childhood memory is our house smelled like fried chicken and pipe tobacco on Sunday). Today DH is making Cajun red beans and rice, and yesterday I made sour cream chicken enchiladas. Both are enough for several meals, so it reduces the amount of cooking we have to do during the week in this heat. 


sour cream chicken enchiladas with hatch pepper sauce

We had this Saturday night and I will freeze the second batch for another time. They freeze well. So do the red beans.

Talking about freezing. I came upon this pic among my photos of the Arctic storm we had in 2021... which basically froze Dallas and surrounding areas for days. But looking at the pic here in this 108 F weather, I have to say... at least it looks cool


Dallas Feb 2021 - TV news pic


Well, it's almost the end of August. Fall is coming... although no evidence of it here yet (unless you're shopping - the stores are starting their Fall decor). And my daughter has already taken down her spring and summer flowers and put up her pumpkins. I'm afraid I still have bunnies out from Easter... but I like my bunnies. Maybe I'll just put a pumpkin out among them.



daughter's pumpkins


And I will close this hodge-podge of a post with a few pics our son sent of his dogs (our granddogs), Winston and Abbey. Abbey is a recent addition that he says is very feisty and has taken over the house.  


Abbey

Abbey and Winston

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday... stay out of the heat, make the most of what gives you joy (no matter how small), reach out to your family or friends, pray for those who need help (Maui), and thank God for giving us this day.

 (I appreciate all of you - my blogging friends for allowing me to share these little things with you). 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

20 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your posts, whatever they are filled with. Always, friend. Thanks for the reminder to pray and give money to Maui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy yours also... as you well know. Hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

      Delete
  2. Winston and Abbey are adorable, especially together. I do like that word, "feisty!" I'm sure she keeps the household on their toes. LOL.

    You have crazy heat. I'm glad that most of our high heat seems to be over (fingers crossed), but I don't want to rush into fall because that means 5 - 6 months of cold after it! Fall decor seems to be everywhere, though, and probably by now Costco has some Christmas stuff out.

    Our Northwest Territories, and province of BC, are having terrible wildfires right now, with tens of thousands evacuating. Coming on the heels of the tragedy in Maui, it almost feels like the end of days. Watching the news is frightening and overwhelming, especially when all you can do is send prayers and/or donate (if possible).

    Anyway, I wish you a peace-full, lovely week ahead. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. It's hard to imagine fires in Canada. I just see it as all frozen territory... like Alaska or Iceland (I know that's not accurate.. just my naive image). It's probably beautiful territory. And yes, watching the news is frightening and depressing - so I don't watch it anymore. It still comes to me from other sources...

      Delete
  3. My gosh, that photo of Abbey and Winston... too sweet. Those chicken enchiladas look delicious, and I love your memory of pipe tobacco and fried chicken. Happy Sunday, Rian. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, my dad smoked both a pipe and cigars... and mom liked to make fried chicken - so both are good childhood memories.

      Delete
  4. I love that last picture of the two sleeping head to head. I am planning to make enchiladas sometime this week. I bought the ingredients the other day. We like them enough to have quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga, we have them fairly often too. The boys love them and they also make an easy guest dinner... with or without beans, chips, and salsa.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for a day without appointments. And drama. And for leftovers. We often cook enough for multiple meals too.
    Thank you for sharing these gorgeous snippets from your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Leftovers aren't always welcome, but some things like red beans are even better the next day. ; )

      Delete
  6. Happy Sunday! I love doing a bunch of cooking so we can eat leftovers for a few days. My husband, not so much. Winston was my parent's dog's name. Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Merry, I've never known anyone named Winston... except maybe Winston Churchill... and if my memory serves, there were cigarettes named Winstons a long time ago. Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. They are pretty good, Joanne... and notice your kitchen towels?

      Delete
  8. Sunday was always meant a roast beef dinner at my parents as well. It was almost always a day for company too, grandparents, an uncle and aunt and their family, or friends. Sometimes, I recall, people just showed up. Mom always seemed to be able to stretch the meal to feed everyone. I don't cook roasts much anymore as there are only my son and I, and neither of us are big meat eaters.
    Your enchiladas look delicious. I just learned how to make them, but my son doesn't care for them so I'll have to wait until I'm spending time at my daughters to do them again.
    Your grandpups are cute, especially sleeping head to head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we don't eat a lot of red meat here either... mostly chicken, but occasionally pork chops or hamburgers... and not a lot of that either. But I like to do a pot roast on occasion and grandson really likes it.

      Delete
  9. Dear Rian, your second book has set on my nightstand all these many months. I began it and then slipped into a period of ill-health. I've missed your postings--there is always within them a sense of peace descending and embracing me--the reader. That's a gift you have. thank you for sharing it. I do so hope that I'll get your book read and then write a review of it when I return (who knows when) to blog posting. But today, I simply want to thank you for the way you open your heart and mind to all of creation. You help me see--in action--the Holy Oneness of All Creation in which I believe. Peace from Dee and the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, so good to hear from you... and I'm sorry about your period of ill health. Hope you are doing better. I still keep you and Elisa in my prayers. And you are kind, both about my books and my posts. They do bring me joy to write and share, but it makes me ever so happy to think that they might make someone else smile. Peace to you and your cats, Dee.

      Delete
    2. Dee, FYI : I wanted to add that I'm working on a 3rd book... another part of Annie's story... probably will be called "Christopher". But this one may never go to print. I'm slow... (or my muse is lazy) as the story comes to me in segments and I don't rush it. I find that storylines tell themselves in time.

      Delete
    3. So true about storylines, but I hope that this one niggling your heart will do an Indy 500! Peace.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...