Translate

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Made me think... and laugh




Not too long ago I read this following question on Facebook and it made me think... and laugh. So, I thought I'd share. Some of you may have already seen this, but thought you might want to add your own thoughts.(I did... but didn't share it on Facebook)

The question was "What made or makes you realize that you are old?"

Interesting question - and as many interesting answers. 

Some were:

1. When I was not able to do the things I used to do

2. When I became out of breath putting on my shoes

3. When I got down and couldn't get back up 

4. Death of my friends 

5. All that scrolling to get to my birth year (Yes!)

6. Crepey skin

7. Can no longer tolerate drama 

8. Prefer to stay home rather than go out

9. When I became older than my doctors

10. Got Senior Citizen discount without asking 

11. Started making noises when I stand 

12. When I became invisible

13. When I tried to kill an eye floater on the window 

14. Started living with aches and pains

15. The snap, crackle, and popping of my joints (Yes!)

16. When people give up their seats on the bench at restaurant (Yes!)

17. Peeing a little when I sneeze or cough

18. Looking in the mirror (Yes!)

19. AARP membership

20. Started napping a lot


Now, I will admit that all of these are pertinent to some extent, but the ones that I find most hit me most personally are 5, 15, 16, and of course 18. 

Although I have to say that #13 is recent revelation . I thought it was a gnat flying around... nope, it's an eye floater! (the fun never stops).

So, any comments on what hits you more? (even though all or most may apply)

And I found these cute memes on Pinterest:













There were more, but these were my favorites... and I have to add this next one because I do feel this way about boxes and didn't ever think of it as an 'age thing'. 




Amazon boxes are so nice. (Or is this just me?)

Getting old or older is a privilege - I realize that. But it comes with so many 'changes'... and they seem to come on so fast,  I find myself working hard to adapt without unnecessary anxiety. So... finding ways to laugh at these changes and adapt is my new focus. And accepting these 'inconveniences' as the price we pay for the privilege of reaching old age. 

And I'm curious, what do you do?


Hugs (virtual still),

Rian

(Daughter came back from Colorado to find half her office down with Covid - apparently still around and although not as life threatening, we still stay masked around groupings).

15 comments:

  1. The struggling to get up from the floor hits home. As does getting v tired trying to do the things that I used to do with ease.
    Naps are GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, naps are my favorite retirement perk!

      Delete
  2. Rian this was so good--I sure liked those answers, and the one about scrolling to get to your birthyear, haha! I also chuckled at the "as long as I'm walking past the bathroom" meme because yep! I'm heading to the senior center in a couple hours, I'll have to show this to a couple people :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gnat thing is new... I keep swatting at something that apparently isn't there (annoying) but kind of funny.

      Delete
  3. I did laugh out loud at some of those. I really knew I was old when the skin on my upper arms looked like a family of five had moved out and left their curtains closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My most recent getting older annoyance are my knees. I've always prided myself on my ability to walk as long as I'd like, to climb stepladders easily, do stairs, etc. In the last couple of months my left knee has been acting up, and now the right one is starting to do the same. I fell on it recently, tripping on a step up to the deck. I'm not ready to see a doctor yet, but I foresee that in the near future.
    But the box one...I've been doing that since I was in my 40's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box thing probably started with the pandemic for me... and ordering everything from Amazon. They have great boxes. Maybe it's not an age thing... just happened to start in my 70's when online ordering became necessary.

      Delete
  5. I remember the morning I woke up and saw a big black spider crawling on my husband's shoulder. I was about to scream when I realized it was possibly all the floaters in my eye clumped together in my sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga, I do the same. Generally it's a small dot (like a gnat), but occasionally I 'jump' as I think it's a bug on the covers or where-ever.

      Delete
  6. That box thing, yes. I think women are usually the ones most afflicted with this urge. They generally are the ones who get the fun activity of packaging up and mailing out Christmas presents. You do need a really good box for that. I just about cannot bring myself to buy a box to mail something in. It just seems wrong some how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always sending little 'care packages' to my kids or friends with cookies or some little things - so I need nice boxes. It's always fun to get a package in the mail (or from Amazon or FedEx).

      Delete
  7. hi sharon, i hope you are feeling better!!
    #3 what a pain...i always think, what else can i do while i am down here
    #5 kills me all the time
    #10 happened to me about 10 years ago and i really let the girl have it. i got the "silver discount" at great adventure and i didn't ask for it and didn't really want it.

    but the truth is i shook my head for most of them!!! great meme's, i say the first one all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debbie, I'm feeling better. And to be honest, all of the 20 probably fit me... some more than others. And I quite like #20 - the napping bit.

      Delete
    2. i don't nap, but chuck naps all. the. time.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...