Translate

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Update on annual Wellness Exam...


getting old meme


This will be rather short. Just had my annual Wellness Exam. Both my Primary Physician and Nurse Practitioner were booked this past week, so I took an appointment with the new Physician's Assistant. She was great, very personable and extremely thorough.

I know that as we get older, there are a ton of questions that must be asked that are required to make sure us elders are not depressed or physically or emotionally unable to take care of ourselves. But I do find some of the questions a bit strange... like: "Are you afraid of falling?" I know it's a legitimate  question and the reason for it, but my silly side just wants to say, "No, not at all. I look forward to it". Of course I don't say this. I just say "no". 

Then there's: "Do you need to hold on to something when getting up?" I had to think about that one. If it's from the ground, "yes"... or a low chair... but normally, no. I only answer "no".

There were a 'ton' of others that I don't remember now... but my silly mind finds them funny.  She also had me do a bunch of physical exercises  and  asked me to answer questions like: 

"What's the date today?" (easy one

"What's the latest news you heard on TV?" (had to think about that one as I don't watch the news much anymore) But I knew about Israel vs Palestine and Hamas - so apparently that counted.

Then she told me a name and address and asked me to repeat it back a little later. I did this without a problem (although this one could have been a problem since words do disappear quite quickly sometimes).

Oh, and she asked me to draw a clock with it's numbers, etc. Then make it say 11:10. (This one I really had to hold back on because I wanted to draw a digital clock and write 11:10 on it - as I'd expect my granddaughter would do. I'm not sure she can read a analog clock.) But of course I didn't. I drew the round clock I knew she wanted with the clock hands saying 11:10. (the sad thing about this is that this drawing is what my mom couldn't do when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when she was 92).


analog clock

digital clock
(just in case you didn't know the difference)


All in all, this annual exam made me realize that DH and I are at THAT AGE  where your ability to take care of yourself is under consideration/assessment. Luckily so far, we have no problems as of yet. Some things aren't as easy as they used to be... but still do-able. 

Sorry this is as long as it turned out. If you kept reading, thank you. I was able to get my B12 injection and the blood test results will be in soon... so I believe all is well and I'm good to go for another year.  

Leaving you with a pic of my bonded plants (Mary Maiden Fern and Hatch Pepper) - with their new friend Chris the Christmas cactus.





Hugs (virtual),

Rian

(Also it's Veteran's Day! My heartfelt thank you for your service and for your sacrifices in keeping our country safe.)

(It's also our oldest grandson's birthday! He's 25 today and a wonderful young man. We love him dearly.) 
 

 

28 comments:

  1. Like you I am pleased that things are still doable - with some adjustments. I am afraid of falling and am seeing an exercise physiologist to reduce the risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are classes offered at the Senior Center to help older folks reduce the possibility of falling or possibly to reduce injury if one falls.

      Delete
  2. Rian you made me laugh with your wanting to draw a digital clock. I'd say your quick wit was a pretty good indicator things are healthy above the ears. 🙂 To be honest, I was just worrying a bit ago I'm losing my mind. I could NOT remember my sister's cats name for the life of me. Finally did a search on my own blog for cat and I found it, Flynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, glad you found Flynn's name. It can be annoying. Unfortunately it happens a lot as we age. Sometimes the lost word pops up the next day out of nowhere when you aren't even looking for it... very weird, but apparently not unusual.

      Delete
  3. i get those silly questions too, i think it is medicare that requires them. i like your large window sills. i don't have window sills and always wish i did!!

    i read the entire post, usually if i skim, i come clean and say so!! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's medicare that requires them. Seems like there are more each time. And while you may not have 'window sills', Debbie, you do have a beautiful house.

      Delete
  4. Your posts are always interesting and reveal a personality that comes through strongly, a confident older woman who has a great sense of humor! Glad all is well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, you are kind... and although my monkey mind pops up with silly things, I'm smart enough not to say them in an inappropriate setting.

      Delete
  5. I sometimes forget the name of something for a while until it pops into my mind. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit scary, but take comfort in that I think it's not unusual with age... and doesn't always mean something to worry about.

      Delete
  6. I wonder what the questions will be like when our grandchildren get to this age -- write the code to express time on a digital clock?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was with my mom when they gave her this test. They asked her what day it was and I swear, I forgot. I always look at my watch to figure out what day it is. Uh oh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I know the day by what we have to do that day... I knew my dr. appt was on the 10th... (good thing I remembered it was November).

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to your grandson! 25 is a wonderful age.
    I would likely drive the P.A. crazy because my response to both of those questions would be "it depends". Am I afraid of falling, normally no, but if I'm walking on the icy sidewalk, yes. And, like you getting up from the floor isn't as easy as it once was.
    Your plants get along well together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, the plants do get along well... except that the Hatch Pepper is outgrowing the Maidenform fern. I may have to repot into a bigger pot for the Hatch and it won't fit on the windowsill if I do (my new dilemma).

      Delete
  9. I'm glad someone else finds those questions funny too. My doctor also asks questions about sex, drugs and alcohol which no one ever asked when I was younger. I laughed at your desire to draw a digital clock. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are strange and personal questions, but I do understand where they are coming from. So I don't mind them, just have to keep from laughing (or joking) sometimes as I'm not sure the nurses/doctors would find it funny.

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy your posts and read to the very end. I just had that physical in September...with all the questions. When she asked me to draw a clock, I said, oh I can't draw a clock. Don't know why I said that...I did draw a clock. :) I'm always proud to answer "no" when asked about falling. Guess it's because I've come awfully close many times. working outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henny, I'm glad I'm not the only one asked to draw a clock... seemed too close to my mom's Alzheimer questions. And like you, glad that I can answer "no" to most - so far.

      Delete
  11. I continue to be shocked when I discover how old I really am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that shocking too. Then I look in the mirror and know it's true.

      Delete
  12. Amazing and we are all in the same boat. Here is an oar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The personal questions are mostly to see if you are able to take care of yourself on a daily basis. There are programs that will help with tub and shower grab bars, and handrails etc. When I get the clock test, for some reason I always end up scratching my first one, and redrawing it ....lol
    What's amazing we spend more time going to dr. appts than anything else, constant prod, prod, prod.
    Your flowers are still looking beautiful !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... used to think that old folks 'social life' consisted of Dr. appts. We go once a year to about 6 Physicians... and more if something comes up. And yes, my inside flowers are doing well! (I talk to them every day... think they like it)

      Delete
  14. Medicare requires those "annual wellness visits" and those questions. Supposedly you can't get any routine doc visit stuff done during those visits. The questions are required ones from Medicare, to also make sure the doc's practice takes care of mundane things, such as checking glucose levels on diabetics at least yearly, or the practice gets a demerit mark. Research shows that if you are afraid of falling, you have a greater risk of falling. If you can stand up without using the arm rests, you're in better shape than the person who has to use the arm rests to stand. It's a funky system, but at least I'm grateful most docs will take Medicare. Those patients with an Advantage plan cause the docs to not be reimbursed fully, and some of those practices are refusing patients with Advantage plans. Those with Supplements pay the docs appropriately without denying claims just for fun. Glad you're okay! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DM. I didn't know that about Advantage plans... we have regular Medicare and a Medicare Supplement plan - have never really understood about the Advantage plans except that they seem to include dental and eye exams.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...