Translate

Sunday, December 10, 2023

a poem remembered...



"So much to do... so little time. I could not let my body tire..." These words are from a poem called "The Blue Bowl" that I read years and years ago. For some reason these words have always stayed with me. It's a really nice poem. If you get a chance, check it out. It's by Blanche Bane Kuder. You can google it.

Perhaps with Christmas and all that entails, it's fitting that I think of this poem. We try to make our homes a "pleasant place where weariness might take its rest". The world we live in is complicated. It's truly full of wonderful things... yet, it can be full of sorrow and sadness too.

All we can do (IMO) is try to find a balance between the two. How? Each of us must find our own way. But in general I imagine it's just enjoying the beauty this world brings while helping in whatever way we can to alleviate the sorrow. Loving kindness to all is a start... and it fits into all phases of our lives... at home, at work, world-wide. 

Now I realize this may all sound naive. It's complicated. Yes, it is... but like Mother Teresa said, "Not all of us can do great things. but we can do little things with great love". Anyway, it's something I think about when it feels like the world has gone mad.





It's Christmas, a magical time! I remember how magical it felt as a child. And remembering, I know that I do believe in magic (not the kind that in the old days people associated with evil, but the kind associated with miracles). The magic of Christmas to me is similar to the words in the song "Amazing Grace'.... ("how precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed"). We 'believed' as a child  in Santa Claus and reindeers on the roof, etc. And that believing made it real. The story behind Saint Nicholas could be real, could be legend... but even if it was a just a story that brought happiness and joy to children - that is magic enough.  






Ok, enough of that - my monkey mind goes on and on.  I do like this next picture though...


there is magic there too



And Look! My Hatch Pepper plant has 2 Hatch Peppers growing on this side... and 1 on the other! I had to transplant it into a bigger pot and now it doesn't fit on the windowsill with it's friend, Mary Maidenhair Fern. I'm hoping the separation won't be too damaging.




OK, back to baking! So far I've made as of now - un
decorated Christmas tea cakes, Espresso chocolate delights, and Pecan chocolate graham cracker bark.  Tomorrow it's Whiskey Balls, pralines, and little rum cakes!



Christmas Elf 


So now my Elf and I bid you good day! 
 And also wish that you all have a 
Magical Christmas!


Hugs (virtual),
Rian


















13 comments:

  1. How I love the magic of trees. All of them. A walk in the woods is heart balm.
    Happy baking. And Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. There is magic in trees, isn't there... especially old trees.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post, especially to read as I start my work day/week. The world does seem to have gone mad, so we need this time of joy and peace no matter what we celebrate or don't...even if it's only a few minutes we carve out in an otherwise busy season. And btw, I do believe in the magic of the season and the spirit of Santa Claus too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! So glad you believe in the magic of Christmas... makes it all a bit more wonderful

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting in my chair with a cup of tea, with the Christmas tree lit. It's so peaceful and calm and brings back memories of very early mornings as a child. I'd hear mom or dad stirring: Dad to start the heat and mom for her first cup of coffee and a cigarette. I'd go to the living room and turn on the tree lights and sit quietly waiting for the morning to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for adding miracles and joy to my day. I love that one about listening to the whispers of old trees. I've done that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DJan, it must be wonderful to be around all those beautiful old trees. That alone is a gift.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love that poem. But it does make me feel like an incompetent (or lazy) housekeeper. I really resent having to do those" little things that do not show" because it usually seems that there is no recognition of their ever having been done or the time and effort involved in the doing of them. But you see the end of the poem says that they are in a way realized by the other person and appreciated but only in their entirety not the individual things done that create that "pleasant place that where weariness might take its rest." So I should go ahead and do them and not count the cost to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked that poem, Victoria. And it's true, some things go unnoticed, but are appreciated in the general scheme of things... in subtle ways as the words, "it's good to be at home" indicates.

      Delete
  6. that is one of the best things mother teresa ever said. i am excited for christmas, i love christmas. i am excited to have michael home and to spend the day with my great nieces. i started knitting my gifts in january. in our very large family, we only buy presents for the kids and i love that. it really removes all the stress and pressure. we eat take out chinese food and play games all afternoon. a non-traditional christmas i know, but really fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Christmas sounds wonderful, Debbie. Can't wait to see pics!

      Delete
  7. I must look up The Blue Bowl. I love poetry. I also love trees. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Thanks for visiting. I checked out your blogs also. Wasn't sure how to follow you, but will go back again and see.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...