Translate

Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Watched "The Creator" on Christmas Eve...



Yes, we watched "The Creator" on Christmas Eve... not exactly a happy Christmas story (although the name would appear so). It is basically about AI - which is also a series of books I'm reading on my kindle (Steel Guardian by Cameron Coral). It's not the same story, but similar. Basically it's about future development of AI who are both intelligent and sentient (to a point). Ends up with the more intelligent AI robotics fighting a war against the humans. There are 3 camps: the robots who hate humans, the humans who hate robots, and the robots and humans that live together harmoniously (sound familiar?). In both book and movie, a child is created (not exactly sure how) and this child is considered to be either the 'answer' or the 'weapon' - depending on which camp you are in.

Anyhow, I found it interesting. I think AI is here and we ought to learn as much about it as we can in order to know how to deal with it. That said, those of us who are 'older' will probably not have to deal with it long. But our kids and grandkids will... (at least these are my thoughts).

OK, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and will soon have a Happy New Year. 2024 is almost here! Hard to believe for one born in 1945. How did those years past so fast? 

It's the day after Christmas and when DH hugged me and whispered Merry Christmas yesterday evening, my words were "Yes, we made it through another Christmas, how about that?" Not to say I didn't enjoy it, I did... love all the family/friend get togethers as well as the atmosphere of love and kindness... but lets' face it, it's a lot of hard work. But I'll continue to do it as long as I can because of the wonder of it all... and for the memories we're creating.  

What are your thoughts the day after Christmas? 

To close here's a few pics of our oldest son's 2 dogs dressed up for Christmas:


Winston

Abbey


And yes, the outside ferals got their share of Christmas dinner and a few kitty toys!


Hugs (virtually),

Rian


16 comments:

  1. AI worries me. I agree we need to learn more about it - preferably before we put too much in its nearly sentient hands.
    I also worry about what it will do to creativity...
    Love the dog photos and of course the ferals got their treats. I would have expected nothing less from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, EC, it worries me too. But it's already here and will continue to evolve. What we need to figure out is how to handle it. The scenarios in the book and movies seem too real. But like everything else, it can also probably do great things if handled correctly.
      Hope you had a good Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it was a good Christmas! I was away for a few days visiting extended family, so I'm happy to be home in my own space without all the kerfuffle Christmas can bring.

    Enjoy the rest of the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel and visiting is wonderful, but always nice to get home too. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Kim!

      Delete
  3. I had a wonderful Boxing Day, walking in the woods with my good friends the Trailblazers. I will have to read that book, it sounds perfect for the times we are in right now. And glad you had such a good Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can download a sample of the book, DJan, and see what you think. It's not for everyone, but I find it interesting. Any possibilities in science tweak my curiosity... and maybe yours too. And BTW, I'm checking into hearing aids with hear.com. Will keep you posted.

      Delete
  4. The dogs are cuties -- more patient than my Levi would be! We celebrated the first anniversary of his adoption on Boxing Day.
    I am thinking that people already display far too much artificial intelligence. I just foolishly hope robots will do it better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be the problem, Olga. Robots that are both intelligent and sentient, could very well do it better. (but from the scenarios in both the movie and the book I'm reading, war eventually happens. Seems to me intelligent beings should realize that war is NOT the answer.)

      Delete
  5. I must admit, AI makes me anxious. I fear it will take over many low-skilled jobs and make a precarious economic situation even worse. I can foresee a time when there is a "war" between the robots and the humans.
    I'm still at my daughter's but will be leaving today. With just the three of us, Christmas is pretty quiet and the work to put together dinner was quite simple. But the weeks leading up to Christmas are always hectic, so much to do that I'm grateful for this quiet time.
    All the best to you and your family in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always grateful for quiet time here too! And glad to hear you had a lovely quiet Christmas with your daughter. As for AI - your fears are mine also... but it's already here and I think it is here to stay (and evolve).

      Delete
  6. Seasons Greetings Rian, I'm sorry I'm a little late getting to your Christmasey post here. That movie sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. I don't know why the AI stuff doesn’t bother me, maybe I'm being a little naive here. I guess time will tell. Anyway if I don't talk to you again soon, Happy New Year. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, perhaps being born in 1945 and not even having TV yet, all this new technology that is coming at break neck speed fascinates me. Even the fact that we can now 'google' anything we want to know amazes me. To me (science oriented) it prophesies wonderful things, yet I know it also comes with a price. But as you said, Time will tell. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year 2024!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you, Rian. It is a lot of hard work. That book sounds very interesting. My husband is really into science fiction and would find this especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, Art may find the movie "The Creator" more interesting than the series of books I'm reading 'The Rusted Wasteland' which is about a cleaning robot that takes on a found human baby during the war between the humans and AI. But you never know.

      Delete
  8. happy belated christmas!! i don't know anything about "al", i must look into it!! we had a nice christmas but having my son home for an entire week was a little hard for me!! cooking his favorite meals everyday...and he eats 3 times every day!! WHAT!! christmas day was a breeze at my nieces, i had such a good time with my great nieces. your husband is sweet and the dogs are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, sounds like you had a wonderful week with your son. Yes, it's a little more work when the kids are around... but definitely worth it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...