Translate

Sunday, February 4, 2024

a lot about nothing...


Nothing much to write about today... cooking things left over in refrig or pantry before going shopping again this week. 

So, I took out one remaining russet potato, one remaining sweet potato, about 6 carrots, and a small bunch of broccoli.  Will bake the potatoes, make a small carrot souffle with the carrots, steam the broccoli with a little brown butter and garlic herb powder, and cook some pork chops with butter, brown sugar, and garlic. That should do.

The only difficult part is cutting the recipe for carrot souffle into a little less than a third... since I only had 6 carrots and not the 2 lbs the recipe calls for. But it should be OK. We'll see.



small carrot souffle

I find cooking challenging these days as since my BC diagnosis years ago, I mainly cook 'fresh'... very little canned or frozen. But adding DH and Grandson into the picture, I have to consider what they like as well as my food sensitivities. Luckily none of us eat a lot of red meat. I occasionally cook a roast, but not often. Mostly we eat chicken, pork chops, lots of salads and veggies, and I love Salmon, but the guys won't eat it. 

They do like Stouffers Lasagna and Marie Calendars pot pies (neither of which I can eat because of my being gluten free). But that's OK as I have my own GF stock. And I can 'make' almost any home-made recipe GF by using GF four or pasta... and usually they don't notice a difference. 

*On a different note, I go for my next hearing aid testing this week. This time they test my hearing 'with the hearing aids in'... (at least that's what I understood). I've had them for almost 3 weeks. They seem to work fine. I'm still adjusting them on occasion... like when inside a restaurant, etc.

Starting to notice that perhaps I need to set the left and right ones differently. Will have to talk to her about that. And have to remember to take them out before showering, brushing your hair, or using hair spray. Also have to be careful about pulling my glasses or mask off when outside - as the hearing aids can come off with them.

Yes, 'remembering' is the important thing... and this ol' gal isn't great at remembering these days.  But hopefully I will do better as time goes on.

That's it. Nothing much to share today... just a quiet Sunday and a creative left-over Sunday dinner.


... and a few funnies:



and 


this is what it's like with our outside ferals... 
they don't miss much


Thanks for reading... and wishing you a wonderful week to come!


Hugs (virtual),

Rian







10 comments:

  1. It's good to hear that your hearing aids are helping. Good luck with the tweaking at the audiologist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mae. Tweaked today and so far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, most pairs of ears have one that could really be programmed different than the other. Please get one or two of those dehumidifier plastic jars or boxes to place your hearing aids in. It's good to have one near the shower to remind you to take them off. I have to remember to brush my hair and use any hair spray FIRST before putting on my cochlear implant parts and hearing aid. Don't mess with them in the bathroom if possible, cuz there's too much water in there: I dropped my aid in a clean toilet once and retrieved it fast enough to not damage it. I even jumped in a swimming pool once, but when I came up, my hair covered the aid and I somehow didn't damage it that time either. Don't take them out and sit them where a pet can get to them: they love to chew the ear molds and/or the entire aid. Not fun. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Linda. I already showered once with them in (luckily the shower cap protected them).

      Delete
  4. My husband wants beef, beef, beef. Sometimes I make 2 meals and salmon is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Merry, I really enjoy salmon and try to eat it once a week. I can get about 1/2 a lb for $7. We're not big on beef... although I do like a nice filet mignon (but don't like it enough to pay those high prices).

      Delete
  5. Rian, I very much enjoyed reading your Sunday cooking of "this n' that", and your carrot souffle sounded wonderful--I need to do more scratch cooking. And I appreciated your perspective on the do's and don'ts of your hearing aids. I'm trying to get my next door neighbor to wear hers, as I'm always hearing her tv and she told me she doesn't like dealing with them. At least now I have a better understanding why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, you do have to remember a few things when wearing the hearing aids... and I imagine if you live alone, you might think, why bother? But they tweaked mine a bit yesterday and showed me how to use 'noisy environment' setting - (for inside cars and restaurants) and that works pretty well without me having to lower the volume.

      Delete
  6. Me too! I'm really starting to worry about my memory. My hearing is OK, but I've lost my sense of smell and taste. Art, on the other hand is really having difficulty with his hearing, but he has a very acute sense of smell and taste. So I guess we compliment each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you compliment each other. But I think it's awful that you've lost your sense of smell and taste. Was it a result from Covid? I have a pretty good sense of smell - definitely better than DH, and he so far has no problem (well... little problem) with his hearing.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...