Translate

Thursday, February 22, 2024

British Emporium visit... and other stuff


British Emporium Purchases

The British Emporium opened up a few months ago here by us. It's not a large store, but packed with British items that aren't in the normal grocery stores (Yes, it's $$$). But we love Walkers shortbread and to find it Gluten Free was a blessing (and it tastes great!). And their dark and milk chocolate with Irish Whiskey or Bailey's Irish Cream is pretty darn good too! As for the Shepherd's Pie Mix, I make this a lot, but usually just use brown gravy. Thought I'd try Colman's as my dad always loved Coleman's mustard. 


Funny story: I made blueberry muffins Monday... 24 mini-muffins  with plans to freeze them and use them for breakfast or snacks at tea time.

Well, I had an appointment to go to the dentist that afternoon, so I left the muffins cooling on the counter. When we returned, it seems that my youngest son and granddaughter had dropped by for an impromptu visit (President's day/no school). They were no longer at the house... but my muffins were reduced to almost half... with a note left by granddaughter saying "I was here!". 

Previously I was known as the grandma who makes the best tea cakes... and now she says I also make the best blueberry muffins! (Guess I am pleased to have that honor)


And lastly, I'm going to show you some Easter cards we found that I think are really cute: (one silly/one sweet)


cover of card on left
and
inside words on right


and


cover

inside words


I do really like Easter! It's my favorite holiday (a true celebration of Spring). Everything is turning green, plants and trees are starting to bloom, baby critters are being born, and live begins anew! I know it's  a celebration of the resurrection and to me (in my heart) this is  confirmation that life will always be renewed.  

Wishing you all a wonderful Spring!... even those of you that still have snow on the ground. The Groundhog predicted "an early Spring" (I want him to be right).


Hugs (virtually),

Rian

ps: For those of you who may not be aware, we had a little feral female (black & white) that we were afraid wasn't going to make it. She's probably a little less than a year old...but had suddenly gotten very thin (hip bones sticking out) and shaky. She slept every night under the heat lamps and was obviously getting weak. We thought to try to catch her, but she's feral and she will only let us so close.

Anyway, the good news is that these last 2 days, she's looking much better. Eating well and moving like she's getting stronger. I've been praying for her, but afraid possibly she had something that was not going to heal itself. We've experienced what we call 'miracle cats' before that got well despite all odds. We hope she is going to be another one.



14 comments:

  1. Oh those blueberry muffins sound delicious! I bet they were very excited to spot that special treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty good... and apparently a hit with my granddaughter.

      Delete
  2. Rian, I admit I'm envious of your new British Emporium, that sounds so cool. But I enjoyed the muffin story and the feral kitten, God bless her little heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting store... different, but fun. And so far, the little black and white cat continues to do well. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

      Delete
  3. Don't ya just love grandkids 😊 Both the Easter cards are really cute in their own way aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, grandkids can make your day! (usually make me laugh). And yes, both cards are cute... in different ways.

      Delete
  4. It is always nice to be appreciated. :)
    The Easter cards are cute and I'm glad to hear the wee feral kitten's health is improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we are so surprised that the young cat is doing well. We really thought we were losing her. But time will tell... (and we feed her whenever she comes to the door).

      Delete
  5. I love what you wrote about Easter, that's beautiful. I love spring too and can hardly wait, and bunny rabbits just look like spring, don't they? The Easter cards are so cute. Well the sweet one is my favorite. It is so adorable. What a nice compliment about the muffins. I know you were glad they enjoyed them. Oh, and the little sickly kitten. I'm so glad she looks better. That is a good sign. Thank you for taking such good care of the animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young cat that was sick continues to look better. We are calling her our Easter miracle. Hopefully she will continue to mend... although we will probably never know what took her down.

      Delete
  6. Your British Emporium sounds wonderful. We were in London last year and bought some Walker shortbread to bring home. My daughter also asked for English tea.

    What a coincidence! I made some blueberry muffins and froze some for Art and mom to have for breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, my favorite teas are English and Irish breakfast teas... and to find Gluten Free Walkers Shortbread was really a find!!

      Delete
  7. i never mind paying extra for something that i really love. the store sounds wonderful, i like specialty stores!! you are so kind to the cats, it a miracle cat for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I agree that I don't mind paying a little more for something that is 'special'...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...