Translate

Friday, February 16, 2024

monkey mind working overtime...

There are so many things going through my head these days... serious thoughts like how does one tell what one 'knows' for sure and what one 'chooses to believe'. Why am I thinking about this? Something I read or heard must have brought it on. People say that you should 'know' that this (whatever)  is truth. How do you know this? I may want to believe it, but do I 'know' it? NO.

So what do I know? I know I love my family. How do I know this? Well, I have 'experienced' this love. So, to know something do we have to have experienced it?

Then what is Faith? The dictionary says faith is complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

or

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

This is not to be an in depth discussion. It's just something that has been nagging at me. I 'choose to believe' some things that make my life easier, better, more fulfilling, less fearful, etc. I choose to 'trust these instincts'... but do I 'know' them to be truth? No. 

I sometimes wonder if we as humans can actually know for sure what is truth. Some of us put our faith in religion, some in science, some in ourselves, and some in nothing. I tend to choose religion, science, and myself... because it is a choice that works for me. What works for you?

Now... that subject concluded. Let's go on to lesser things.

Recently DH and I were reminiscing about silly pictures brought on by a Family Feud question that asked what you would do if your mother posted a naked pic of you on social media (I'm presuming a baby pic? since it was your mother?) Anyway, we laughed at the answers and then DH reminded me of a pic we got of his mother (taken by a family member) on a motorcycle with leather jacket, helmet, etc. when she was in her 90's. It was so 'not her' that we laugh about this pic even now. 

Anyhow, it reminded me of the pic my son took of me on a moped when we were in Oahu. Not nearly as funny as his mom's pic on the motorcycle in her 90's. But still funny to me.




Possibly I like the idea of me being more the 'moped' type... living free on an island... sounds nice, doesn't it? (in my dreams)

Anyway, this is my mish mash of a post today.

And a funny cartoon that hit home with us... as I'm always cold in the house... even if the thermostat is set in the 70's.




It's Friday! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! And as always, thanks for reading my gibberish. 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian



15 comments:

  1. i think we all have a lot on our minds these days, i try very hard not to let it consume my thoughts. but that may be "cold" maybe i should focus on these problems more?? it is nice to have a strong faith, i have trouble believing in organized religion. i know why, but it is a long story. i believe in my family, myself and i believe we can't lose faith in people, there are a lot of good ones out there!!

    i like the cartoon, the hubs and i are opposite to that, i am always hot!! i hope you have a wonderful weekend too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I was raised Catholic and am happy with that... but as I age, I have my concerns about organized religion also. It doesn't change my faith in God (except possibly in semantics). I do believe in Faith and the good in people. I just it hard to differentiate between what we 'know' (or think we know) and 'what we choose to believe'. It's not something I dwell on, but does pop up in my monkey mind on occasion.

      Delete
  2. If humans understood that what we believe, while real and true to us, is not necessarily Objective Truth, we wouldn't have so much strife. Kudos to you for making your choices and understanding that they are your own truth. In the end, I think it matters less what concept of God or the Universe we believe in, and matters more that it makes us more compassionate and forgiving, more loving toward ourselves and other Beings.

    I'm with you on the temperatures, I tend to feel colder these days, not as many hot flashes anymore. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I know most likely there are some basic truths... however, in general, I also believe that my truths are not necessarily your truths. And I also agree with your last statement about what matters. Sometimes stories are used to teach us and although the basic idea is good and fit the times, not all stories should be taken literally or all may not fit life now.

      Delete
  3. Rian, your thoughts about sure things at the top.. whenever one of my more religious friends talks about her love for Jesus, I always wonder do you really believe that? Are you really that sure he's hearing your prayers? I'm sure about many things, but religion or faith would never be one of them. Anyway, I enjoyed that photo of you on the moped that's pretty cool! Oh and I just saw your Ps, I sure am sorry about that I don't know what's going on. The same thing happens with a couple other people that comment on my blog, it's very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted my ps when I saw my comment come up on your site. But thanks for the 'cool' comment. I can assure you that I'm not really cool... except maybe in my grandkids eyes. So many little magic moments happen in life - serendipitous moments - that seem to confirm some beliefs. Do they happen to show us truths or are they something we rationalize because we want to believe it? I don't know, but I'd like to believe the first.

      Delete
    2. I tend to think it's because we DO rationalize, we're so longing for confirmation of something bigger than ourselves. But I very much like how you convey your thoughts. Rian, just for the record--the first 24 hours after I publish a blog, any comments go up instantly. But after 24 hours, they go into a wait queue. Blogger USUALLY tells me one is waiting for approval, but for some reason I don't get alerts for you or Debby. 🤔

      Delete
  4. I had a motor cycle for years. Every time I renew my drivers license, I check to be sure the MC endorsement remains. I couldn't even get my leg over a bike these days, let alone balance it. But I'm still legal to drive it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, Joanne... you with a motorcycle. I rode on the back of one from Gulfport to Biloxi during my college years (wasn't that thrilled with it... and yet I did find it thrilling to fly like the wind on the back of a horse?).

      Delete
  5. I'd love to have that pretty red Moped. You look right on it to my eyes. And your commentary is always interesting to me. I didn't get to see the PS so I won't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the ps was just a note to Dug that my comments on his post must go to spam... just wanted to let him know that I do comment. And if you had that red Moped, DJan, you wouldn't have to take the bus!

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your post, though I'll stay out of the philosophical part. Rode a small Honda for a while and have enjoyed being passenger on several others (bigger ones.) But I bump into walls these days and bruise so easily, I sure don't think I'd survive riding anything with only 2 wheels! Thanks for your comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Barbara. I like your dragons. I did a few dragons , but for whatever reasons, enjoy sculpting chickens. As for the mopeds or motor cycles, I prefer (ed) horses in my youth.

      Delete
  7. My brother rides a motorcycle around town. I thought he'd give it up by now, but no... he's still riding it. When my daughter was taking a summer class in Hawaii, she wanted to rent a moped. My brother who worked for the police department tried to dissuade her saying it was not safe. Actually, I'm still not sure if she rented one or not. Hmmmm...

    And as for faith... that's a hard one. I think a lot has to do with how you were brought up and where you live. I think. I also think the main thing is to respect everyone's belief and be happy for the peace they might get from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kay, respecting everyone's belief (even if you can't understand it) is important. I find this is especially true in both religion and politics.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...