Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Happy Birthday Dad.... May 25, 1907



my dad




Today, is my dad's birthday.  He was born May 25, 1907 in London, England. He was 7 years old when WW1 started (1914) and 11 when it ended (1918). He used to tell me he remembered seeing bombed out houses... houses with the walls blown out. I never thought to ask where they lived during the bombing... and as a kid, he may not have remembered. 

But in 1918 Grandpa took Grandma, Dad and his 2 younger siblings to America via Ellis Island. They actually sailed across 3 times... 1918,1919, and 1920. Then stayed in 1920 and settled in Jacksonville, Fla. I've often wondered why they moved from England, but I can only guess it was to get away from the ravages of the war. Some family members said that Grandpa needed to get away from the damp climate... but it's just a guess, we'll never really know. 

When dad was 17 he got a job at an Architectural plant in New Orleans and moved the whole family there.  That's where he met mom... and that's where I grew up.

I used to go with him sometimes when he was driving around the the little towns and bayous of Louisiana checking out the stoneware on the churches, etc. We'd sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" in the car.

Dad and his brother (and I think Uncle Gil) built a boat and a fishing camp on Grand Isle. The men and boys would go there to fish. I didn't get to go often as it was a one room camp shared by several bunk beds, a small kitchen area, no bathroom... just a pier over the water. Dad took my brother who didn't really like to fish. I loved to fish, but could only go if no one else was going to be there. It made me mad as a child... really didn't understand why being a girl made a difference. 

Anyway, these are some of my memories of my father... also the aroma of a cigar or pipe tobacco. Dad was a quiet gentle man, a good man. He died at 75 with Cancer... but not from cancer, but from a stroke during his cancer treatment in the hospital. I still miss him. 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

 


 
 

20 comments:

  1. He sounds like he was a lovely dad, one of the good ones. I loved my dad, he was my world, I miss him to this very day.
    I used to sing Onward Christian Soldiers when we traveled on the bus going on holiday 😁
    Happy heavenly birthday to your dad ❤️
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it that you used to sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" too... never knew anyone else that did that, Jo.

      Delete
  2. you have some fond memories of your dad and memories of your younger life, that's so nice. i love seeing these vintage pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a lot of pictures of my dad in his younger days... so yes, I love these vintage pics too.

      Delete
  3. This was a nice read and tribute to your dad Rian, he was a good looking fellow too. Very much enjoyed his backstory, it's important we don't forget where we came from. I hope you have a nice Memorial Day. PS I think you meant 1907 at the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, of course I meant 1907, not 2007! Just changed it. Thanks, Dug. And yes, we shouldn't forget where we came from. That's why it upsets me when people talk about emigrants like there's something wrong with that. Most of us are emigrants.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you have such loving memories of your dad. Happy birthday to him, with hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I love to hear about your visits with your dad...

      Delete
  5. Precious, precious memories. And photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was nice to read. Your dad shares a birthday ( but not the year, obviously) with my sister. Many people emigrated from England to the U. S. and Canada at that time. That’s a lovely picture, too. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe that is true about the emigration at that time. My grandfather's brother left England for Canada..

      Delete
  7. Beautiful remembrance of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful memories of your father, Rian. He was taken far too young.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for reviving him through these memories. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for memories. I do wish I'd had more time with him. There are so many things I didn't think to ask as a child... and before you know it, it's too late.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...