Translate

Saturday, May 4, 2024

what a difference a day makes...

First of all, I'm not complaining (even though it sounds like it). The last few days have been weird. I woke up with an ocular migraine Friday. These little buggers mess up your eyes with bright light and jagged lines. They don't last too long... and are usually gone in about 10-15 minutes (although sometimes they come back). And they are generally accompanied by a dull headache... nothing like the real migraines I had when younger. I guess this could be considered one of the advantages of old age (the progression from full blown to ocular). 

Anyway, the dull headache came and went all day... so we didn't do the errands we'd planned. After a second Tylenol in the afternoon, the headache went away and by evening I slept for several hours on the sofa... and later in bed. But unfortunately this morning I'm still feeling 'unwell'... no headache, just 'off'... something isn't right.  But at 78 (to be 79 in 2 months), I guess it's not unusual to feel 'off' some days. I mean I'm still kickin' and am in general good health... as far as I know (and want to know). 

You know my daughter asked me a question on the phone the other day that made me pause. She asked me if I had something terminal would I want to know? Her doctor was telling her there was a blood test she could take these days that would tell you if you had cancer or some diseases. I said that at her age (54), I might want to know... at mine (78) I don't know... maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, that's been my week. Hope yours has been a little better. 

Also, our oldest granddaughter graduates from A&M this month. She graduated from high school in 2020... that year the graduations were only videoed due to the pandemic. I'm hoping this graduation will go off well. We're so proud of her.


And good news! We have kittens! One of our long time feral mamas brought her 4 kittens to eat and play on the back porch this past week. They were so cute... about 6 weeks old, one black, one white, and 2 Siamese-looking. Here's a pic of one of the Siamese:


kitten on cat tree


This little fellow climbed up on the cat tree... (we have 2 on the back porch). I took this from the inside window. 

And this next video I also took from inside the kitchen's French door as 2 of the kittens were eating:



(Remember to click on the square to enlarge pic... and then 'escape' to get out of video)

This feral cat is such a good mama. She watches those kittens like a hawk. It took her 4 times to get the smallest scariest little one to come on the porch. She kept going back to get him to follow her.  

I know you are thinking we need to catch them and bring them to the Adoption room at the shelter. We used to do this, but not anymore. First of all they're too fast. Second, we're too old and slow. And third, I've seen what it does to the mamas. They walk around for weeks looking for their babies and crying. Can't do it. It breaks my heart.

Anyway, that's my news for today. Life goes on... a bit different for each of us, but perhaps that's good. It keeps things interesting. Enjoy this wonderful spring weather... and all the green! Before we know it summer will be here...  and with it triple digits. 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian




18 comments:

  1. Rian, I enjoyed this post but I sure am sorry for those morning migraines. I hope that clears up soon. That was an interesting question about the blood test, I am 62 so I think I'd want to know? I put off getting a colonscopy for 10 years, finally got one last year after a couple famous people died from colon cancer. They told me no polyps or anything, I wouldn't need another one for 10 years. Anyway--big congrats for your granddaughter but wasn't 2020 just a few months ago?? And loved seeing the feral babies! Kitten Lady (a real expert on cats) says feral kittens should be caught and spayed or neutered, but RETURNED to their outside habitat. I'm just glad they have your back porch. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Dug. As for the blood test, I think your feelings 'might' change once you get past a certain age. When you know there might be only a few years left, you just want to make the most of it... but of course no ones knows how they will feel until you get there.
      And yes, 2020 doesn't seem like 4 years ago. As far as I'm concerned 2020-2023 are the 'lost years'. And I agree that caught, spayed/neutered, and returned is the ideal situation. But easier said than done. At this point, we simply supply a safe habitat, food, and water. The rest is out of our hands.

      Delete
  2. Migraines are a beast. I often felt 'off' for a few days after one. Knock on wood I rarely get them since I gave up eating meat.
    Love the kittens.
    Congratulations to your grand daughter.
    I am not sure about the blood test. Probably, so I could have the needed kick up the bum to get my affairs (such as they are) in order. The question of treatment is another that I don't know the answer to. Some of them are truly brutal.
    I hope you are feeling much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, giving up meat helped you kick migraines? That's interesting. We do eat meat, but very little. I do know some of the triggers and almost never touch them (a 'little' dark chocolate or coffee seems to be OK). Never eat nitrates (which I believe is in dried or processed meat). Never eat deli meat.

      Delete
    2. I was getting two and three migraines every week. They would escalate to the point that I was helplessly vomiting. It seemed like I was always in a migraine or recovery mode. Coincidentally I decided I was eating too much meat and stopped for a while. No migraines. I had some chicken. Migraine. I experimented for a bit but discovered that almost any meat triggered one. I think it is the things we do to meat rather than the meat itself (organic meat wasn't available) but I have been happily vegetarian and almost migraine free for years.

      Delete
  3. Those kitts are adorable! It seems hard to capture those kitties and get them spayed, but some of them are going to end up being snacks for predators anyway. Life is tough, and you give them such a good life, I'm just glad they can have some comfort, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, DJan. The lives of many ferals are short compared to those of inside cats, but... some of our ferals have been around for 10 years or more (of course some are lost to coyotes or other predators). But I've come to the conclusion that letting them live their free life isn't such a terrible thing. And they contribute in their own way by ridding the area of mice and rats, snakes, etc.

      Delete
  4. I think the hard part of the question is knowing it is terminal before you take the test? My mother died from ALS. I have chosen not to be tested since there is nothing I can do about it if I do have the gene. One of my brothers did take the test and does not have the gene. One of my nieces has a gene for a terminal disease on the other side of the family. However she is in test studies for new drugs that could prevent her from developing the disease or having it progress. So if she had not tested, she would not have in the study to receive the drugs that could possibly stop it in it's tracks. An acquaintance found out he had pancreatic cancer and it had progressed to the point of no return. He was able to sell his part of the business to a partner, make sure all his property was put into the names of family members, work out all money matters with his attorney so no probate was needed and had a big party and invited all friends and acquaintances as long as everyone promised to laugh and party. No sad faces. It is a question with all kinds of answers and very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pros and cons, I guess to knowing or not knowing... with as many answers as there are people. I couldn't answer for my daughter. She's the only one who can make that decision. I took genetic tests back after my BC treatment. I apparently didn't carry the gene for any of the known cancers. Doesn't mean my BC won't come back or in another form. No guarantees.

      Delete
  5. When I was much younger, I used to have what I called three day headaches. Those are long gone, now. Your new kittens are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 day headaches sure sound like migraines, Joanne. So glad they are long gone. But I'm guessing you don't get the ocular migraine now?

      Delete
  6. I remember my friend having those migraines and had to stay in a darkened room when it hit. I'm so sorry you're having to suffer through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, light and glare are painful with migraines... and uncomfortable with ocular migraine. But although the physicians don't seem to know what causes them, they don't seem to worry about them.

      Delete
  7. Aww, sweet little kittens. I've only ever had one of those ocular migraines and didn't know what was happening to me until a co-worker told me! There was strangely no pain associated with it. I hope you don't have to deal with another any time soon! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you won't have any more, Jenn. I get them pretty often... and sometimes the dull headache doesn't come with it.

      Delete
  8. cute kittens, you are a kind soul to look after them. i feel as you do about taking the babies, i would not be able to do it. we had a tree taken down once and determined it must have had a robins nest in it. when momma returned and the tree and her nest were gone, it broke my heart to see her frantically looking for the nest!! the tree cutter man said it happens all the time, how sad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, they are welcome in our yard and there's always food and water... but the mama cat takes care of them. There was a time that we'd take them all in... but that time has past. Now - if the mama cat abandoned them (as some do), that would be a different story.

      Delete
    2. hello my friend, i hope everything is ok!!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...