Translate

Sunday, June 23, 2024

Sunday thoughts...



Recently a friend sent me some Scottish heather honey and some Scottish seasoning mix from the Scottish Gourmet. It was an early birthday gift since my 79th birthday is coming up in July. I've never used a seasoning mix that has flowers in it - although I'm aware that some flowers are edible. This has marigold petals, rose petals, and heather flowers in it. I plan to try it, but was wondering if anyone else has used something like this... and if so, what did you think?

Oh, and I should mention to anyone out that is Gluten Free, that I tried a new brand, Cappello's frozen GF biscuits and Brown Sugar cookies. Both were very good. Expensive ($8/bag), but good!

And I tried the lavender flavored Lafamiere French yogurt... it's really good. And comes in those cute little ceramic jars. The lavender flavor is very subtle, not strong, and the yogurt itself is delicious. I will buy more.


Also youngest granddaughter is spending the weekend with my daughter in the Hill country and has found one of her favorite bugs (she's a bug lover - future entomologist?). It's a walking stick bug.





She called me to let me know of this exciting find and sent me a picture. She named him 'Brancher'... and he's a very welcome addition to her collection of snails and doodlebugs.


Nothing else of interest to talk about except that I made The Durney House Meatloaf recipe this week. Haven't made meatloaf in a very long time. The guys liked it. Plan to serve it again today with some home-made scalloped potatoes. The Durney House is (or used to be) a house converted into a restaurant and one-room B&B in (or near) McKinney, TX. We haven't been there in years, so I'm not sure it's still in operation. But they were known for their meatloaf... and it is a good recipe.


And since I just listened to Face the Nation this morning... all I'm going to say about the upcoming elections is Please Vote! Whatever or whoever we end up with will be the country's choice and we will deserve what we get (one way or the other). Heaven help us, but IMO, that's the way it is... and we will have to deal with it. If we fight it, it'll only make things worse. We must accept what happens or there will be chaos... and I don't think (but hope) that no one wants that (although I suspect that some do).


Virtual hugs and loving thoughts to all of you out there. It's nice to have someone(s) to share my thoughts with occasionally.

The strange books I'm reading (Child of another kind, etc.) divide people into 2 categories; empaths and narcissists. Empaths concerned with helping other people and narcissists with helping themselves. I don't personally think it's that simple, but it's an interesting concept.


Hugs (virtual),

Rian









20 comments:

  1. I always vote but nowadays it feels like people vote without actually taking the time to think through their choice or taking the time to understand the issues. It's depressing but I believe you're correct that we will collectively get what we deserve, but I fear many will still suffer if the wrong choice is made. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, Bobi, (and only me perhaps) it boils down to 'trust'... you trust in your democracy, people vote and the vote of the people is accepted (one way or the other). The problem arises when 'trust' is lost... and we seem to be heading that way.

      Delete
  2. I am watching your elections in no little fear. Your choices will impact on the world. Lots of flowers are edible and some delicious. I often add nasturtium leaves (when I remember to plant them) to salads.
    Love the stick beetle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, EC... and I can only hope/pray that truth and goodness will prevail - whatever the outcome.

      Delete
  3. I was just worrying today that my nerves are stretched to thin to watch the debate this week. I am a nervous wreck about November and the future of our country.
    Meanwhile - I have to find that yogurt LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to watch that debate... although I think it will be difficult... just seeing those 2 together.
      As for the yogurt, I hope you find it.

      Delete
  4. Kay of Musings: That stick bug is huge and so interesting. We don’t have them in Hawaii…I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my SIL has seen them twice that big. But granddaughter is happy with him.

      Delete
  5. That's a BIG walking stick bug! I saw one about half that length as a child in Oklahoma: I thought it was a wind-blown stick stuck to the brick. Then I touched it and it MOVED! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen one before. But I'm sure I'll be introduced to this one.

      Delete
  6. I have a rock loving granddaughter. She's in her third year of college and studying geology.
    I'm sure your little jar of dried flowers will taste wonderful.
    And VOTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, my son used to tease me about loving rocks. I have many taken from places I've visited. They are my favorite souvenir. I think it's great that your granddaughter is studying geology.

      Delete
  7. That is a big walking stick, and they are curious creatures indeed. I hope Brancher has a long life. Sending you lots of virtual hugs, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Walking Stick find certainly made her day. And thanks, DJan - for the virtual hugs.

      Delete
  8. The key to any democracy is that the people are involved. Your reminder that voting is important is so true. As an outsider I am hoping for a good outcome where decency prevails.
    That stick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, you have no idea how much we hope for that also...

      Delete
  9. That stick big is an interesting creature. I wouldn't be surprised if your granddaughter follows her passion. My niece was just accepted to vet college...we've known since she was little that she would follow this path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to your niece! And I too think our granddaughter may follow her passion for bugs. Her father's passion was for Herpetology... and he followed it.

      Delete
  10. What lovely gifts from your friend, I hope you enjoy !
    Walking Sticks are fascinating little creatures, I'm happy to see your granddaughter enjoying them.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I plan to try the Scottish honey this week.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...