Translate

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

a kangaroo! Can you believe?

It's been a strange, but wonderful week so far. Monday morning DH and I decided that after lunch we would walk at the mall. With all the bad weather and thunderstorms, we haven't gotten out much and really needed to walk. Never expecting to come across this little darling at the mall.





... a baby Kangaroo! 7 months old and just adorable! This isn't an actual picture of the little one we saw as I didn't want to ask the owner if I could take a pic (although I wanted to). The man was carrying him in a pouch over his shoulder, so only his head and paws were sticking out. The little guy licked my finger like a kitten.  

I found these pics that looked a lot like him on the internet... and also apparently where you can buy baby kangaroos in Texas (who knew?

Anyway, I was quite excited at this opportunity. Being in the Veterinary field, I've seen quite a lot of animals, but never expected to see a little Joey up close and personal.

Then... later this afternoon, we had another surprise. A city worker from the local animal shelter knocked on our door. Apparently it was his job to go door to door and let people know that the city didn't allow feeding of feral cats. Can you believe that? I find it hard to believe that a city ordinance can keep anyone from feeding a stray animal. The person himself didn't seem to agree with it, but had to let people know. 

We talked a long time and he did seem like a good guy that cared for the ferals... even said that he tried to dissuade the city from this ordinance. Anyway, we told him that we've been feeding ferals here for almost 40 years, have taken their kittens to the local adoption center, donated food and crates to the Animal Shelter, and even participated in the catch and release program. Even asked him if there was a way to help the feral cats with fleas. We can't get close enough to use any drops on them, and we do put out diatomaceous earth, but could we do more? He recommended a few things that might help. We shook hands and thanked him for his concern.




Anyway, that's how our Monday went... weird, but somewhat wonderful.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

One other odd thing happened over the weekend. DH and I went to Home Depot to get some larger pots to transplant a few of my plants. When checking out the lady asked me if I was ever a teacher?

I said no, why? She said that I looked very much like a teacher she had years ago that meant the world to her. I thanked her, said that was very sweet, but no, I was never a teacher. 

Life is full of surprises...

Hope your week is full of good ones. 

Hugs (virtual),

Rian



16 comments:

  1. That is a strange ordinance. And not very enforceable, I would imagine. Love to see the little Joey. I hope that the gentleman who told you about it didn't expect you to change your habits, did he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a strange ordinance... telling people they can't feed a stray cat in need on their own property. And I don't think he expected much to change... just his job to let people know.

      Delete
  2. I can understand your wonder and your joy at seeing the young roo - but they really need others of their own kind. I worry about them being raised alone.
    And hooray for someone respecting teachers. They do indeed change lives.
    Thank you for your care of the feral babies - over a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just that, EC... a wonder and a joy seeing that young roo! And having googled online as to where he possibly could have gotten it... saw that the site explains pretty well what care they would need and that a male can grow to 5 feet and 200 lbs. Definitely not an animal to be taken in lightly.

      Delete
  3. You certainly had an interesting start to your week. I do hope the wee kangaroo isn't simply a vanity pet.
    Your work with the ferals is commendable. It's sad to me that cats are considered such disposable animals - I wish all could have forever homes. I don't know what the city thinks will happen to the ferals if they aren't fed. I'd suspect they'd become even more of nuisance getting into garbage and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hope the man with the kangaroo has the land and the ability to give it a good life. And I too am confused about what the city expects the ferals to do. They do catch birds, rats, and snakes. This is helpful... and we've found that those we feed never get into garbage or cause any problems. There are people who simply don't like animals, consider them a nuisance, etc. - and don't realize (or care) that they're sentient creatures.

      Delete
  4. i am surprised to hear of an ordinance like that, you are so kind to those ferals. i had not heard about storms in texas until i ordered a refill on my medication today and the girl said it would be delayed because of storms in texas. i thought of you!! i almost forgot about the kangaroo, what a cool experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I was surprised to hear of that ordinance too... and don't consider it reasonable nor kind. Makes me a little ashamed of the people who would make such a thing.
      And yes, that young kangaroo made my day!

      Delete
  5. Honestly, I am more surprised that private citizens can sell and own kangaroos. I remember an adult kangaroo in our area that was vicious. They are stronger than a man and it's owner couldn't control it. Our state has been passing laws against the ownership of certain animals - especially lions and tigers - after some guy out in the country between my daughter and I had some escape a couple times. I just hate to see cruelty to animals and humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised as you are. Not that I've ever seen or been around a kangaroo, but just that someone owned one. It was really cute, though... and hopefully they are good responsible people who have some land and will give it a good life.

      Delete
  6. This was certainly an interesting read, Rian. Loved the kangaroo story, but what's going to happen with the feral cats? That seems pretty cruel 😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That baby kangaroo was just precious... and never expecting to see one, it did make my day. As for the feral cats and kittens, nothing is going to change. The Animal Shelter guy did his duty going door to door telling everyone about the ordinance. And he was actually nice about it. But I guess if they want to arrest an old lady for feeding strays, they can...

      Delete
  7. No one should own a Kangaroo.. I am Australian and find this horrible. They need to be with other Kangaroos. They are extremely dangerous, just google some videos of Australians out walking and are attacked by a Kangaroo. They are also known for taking dogs and if near a body of water taking the dog in and trying to drown them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you are right... since I know nothing about kangaroos. But like all animal babies, this little one was adorable.

      Delete
  8. The Ordinance forbidding the feeding of any Domestic Animal that is feral and/or abandoned is just wrong. It makes sense to forbid encouraging Wild Animals by making them reliant on Humans for their Food, they quickly can become nuisance animals and fail to hunt for themselves as Nature intended. But, Cats and Dogs have been Domesticated and some just have the misfortune of not having an Owner and Care. It isn't easy for them to Survive in the Wild. As for Baby Kangaroo, adorbs, but, a Wild Creature that probably once grown, could pose a danger to be kept as a Pet. It would probably be best off in a Zoo now it's too used to Human Contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I agree to everything you said... concerning feral cats, dogs, and wild animals. As for the kangaroo, I know nothing about them, but from what I've read or people have told me... it seems to me that they would not do well in a house-hold environment, but without any real knowledge about them, I won't comment on their needs. But I was still amazed to see it... and awed at it's cuteness!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...