Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2024

Crazy Birthday gift : Covid!

Well, I really had a nice 79th Birthday Weekend. The kids came over and  I made Chicken Tetrazinni  and salad Friday evening  and we had individual little bundt cakes (several flavors) for dessert with ice-cream and coffee later. Saturday we visited Hamm's Peach Orchard for home-made peach ice-cream and took home fresh peaches... and a bag of local whole pecans (best ever!) as well as their delicious peach-pulled pork sandwiches. 

The kids took us out for dinner at my favorite restaurant Saturday night and all left by Sunday morning.

Monday morning I awoke with an extremely sore throat... something I never have. Since my cousin and her grandson were flying in on Tuesday for a 4 day visit, DH gave me a covid test... which was positive?? Not trusting that test, I went to the doctor's and had them take a test... STILL POSITIVE! 

Sent a text immediately to my cousin in N.O. to let her know so she could cancel her trip. But her response was "No, we'd still like to come... if it's OK with you"... (she had had to cancel earlier in November and didn't want to cancel again). Her grandson is 12 and was looking forward to his first flight experience. Of course it was OK with me. I wanted to see her (it's been several years and although we text, it's not the same as sitting down and talking. We grew up together and since my siblings have both passed, she is the closest thing to a sister that I have.)

Anyway, they came, and although I wasn't up to doing a lot, we did get to talk and do a few things. I Lysol sprayed and wiped things down and wore a mask, but still had to excuse myself and retreat to my room when the fatigue hit hard. But DH filled in cooking and talking with her and my granddaughter came to play games with her grandson... (even though they were both a bit shy about that).


Having Hot Chocolate at Eataly's 

They left yesterday evening. I can only pray that they don't get sick.

But this Covid virus is a 'mean' one. The coughing is relentless. Your nose, throat and chest burn... and the headache runs from the back of your head down your spine (although I have spinal arthritis - so possibly this isn't part of Covid - but even my eyeballs ache??)

Yesterday was Day 4 and my taste went. That is so strange. I can tell something is sweet... but can't make out a flavor. They did give me Paxlovid, but not taking it. I have too many problems with medications for me to chance it. Have it under control with Tylenol, saline nasal spray, cough drops, and gargling (have never run a fever).

Grandson who lives with us is now testing positive. Hope and pray that DH stays negative.

Today is Day 6. Somewhat better... cough still active, headache and sore throat gone. Woke up drenched in sweat, but feel a bit better. 

Not exactly a fun post, but just thought I'd update my few bloggers who might want to know.

So please take care. Obviously this virus is still hanging around. Can't believe I avoided it for 4 years and got it now. And although it may not be as dangerous as it once was, you do not want this!

Thanks for reading. Hope my next post will be more uplifting! 

Hugs (virtual),

Rian

Saturday 10 am update:  DH just tested COVID POSITIVE...


18 comments:

  1. Oh no, and you've been so diligent in avoiding it. I do hope that you are all over it quickly and with no lingering effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. We have been very careful... but guess it couldn't be avoided forever.

      Delete
  2. I wish you all speedy healing! I caught some bug, possibly COVID, back in the spring and it took me out for a couple of days, with the cough lingering for a few weeks or more. Ironically it was only 2 weeks after I stopped masking up on public transit. So there still are variants around, I don't think we'll ever be rid of it now.

    I hope all of you get the rest you need and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I think we will be 'forever maskers' and even apparently then, there are no guarantees...

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry this stinky virus caught you. I hope you feel better soon. Our church festival is tomorrow and our pastor announced on facebook yesterday that he is positive, too. Of course the festival is going on. I have finally aged up to a new job - money counting in a room away from people and I am just thrilled. I will be bringing my sanitizer, but I will not be socializing with the public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try to stay away from the public, Miss Merry. This virus may be milder than the old one, but it's no fun.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear.... long covid is terrible, my brother has it; it has altered his entire life. Please consider taking the Paxlovid to protect yourself from long covid and those around you. (old RN, Linda in Kansas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'm on my 6th day and seem to be over the worse... hopefully. I've had some pretty bad reactions to meds, so prefer to take my chances that my 5 covid vaccines have boostered my immune system a bit.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about this birthday "gift" and hope that everyone recovers sooner rather than later. I got a sore throat a few weeks back and thought I had covid, but test was negative. So was the next one. I really thought I might have it, but then it went away. No cough, no sneezing, just sore throat. Sending everyone my very best hopes for a successful outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. Hopefully I'm over the worst. Just hoping it doesn't come back. Grandson is on his 3rd day and taking Paxlovid. DH is just starting to cough... We'll see how it all goes.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to read this and hope you are getting better each day. Definitely NOT the birthday present you want. Glad you could see your cousin though.l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great seeing her... really it was. I just don't want her to get sick. But she made the choice... and on top of that, the airport and plane were both overcrowded and she forgot to wear her mask. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  7. Wow. I know covid is a tough virus any time. I wish you soon recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. Covid is definitely a nasty virus. I know it can manifest as just like a cold, or mildly, or ugly, or deadly.... but in my opinion, it's simply a 'mean' virus.

      Delete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday Rian, and I can't tell you how sorry I am that you got infected with covid. Hopefully you'll be all better real soon. What a curse this virus is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Dug. It's a 'curse'... and I'm still praying for you...(along with my own family) now and every night. Take care, my friend. You will get through this... slowly but surely. Sending healing thoughts and virtual hugs.

      Delete
  9. Oh no! Hope you're on the mend soon. Lovely your cousin came to visit regardless, she must miss you as much as you miss her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was so good to see my cousin, but even though she was fore-warned and it was her choice to come anyway, I will feel so guilty if she gets sick. But we did make some memories I won't soon forget.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...