Translate

Friday, March 22, 2019

geriatric house-hold



cat age chart

I googled this chart not too long ago. Our 3 cats are getting up in age. The 2 black and whites (Tux and Julie)  are 15 this year (76 in human years) and Ghost is 13 (68). So not counting our grandson (who is 20), this house-hold is basically geriatric.

The reason I bring this up is that both Ghost and Tux were not feeling well this past week... throwing up a few times and not eating for a short period.

When Ghost does this, it's generally due to her getting upset over something (my 17 year old grand daughter and a friend visited from San Antonio during spring break - and sometimes changes in the house upset Ghost).  However, when Ghost rallied and Tux went down, we decided that just possibly they had a 'cat bug'... one that luckily for all of us only lasted 24 hours. If it had gone on longer than 3 days, we would have taken them to the Vet... but they hate that - and that alone upsets Ghost terribly.

So I'm attributing it to 'age' and possibly a 'cat bug'. Julie so far has not succumbed... and is her usual bouncy self.


cat and doorbell poster

This picture reminds me of what Ghost looks like when someone rings the front doorbell. She goes into 'flight' mode.

Hope all of you have a great weekend! Spring break is over for us, so it's back to the pottery studio tomorrow. I'm thinking that I might start sculpting more dogs (grand daughter wants one of Moose) and maybe create a few more wind chimes or inside mobiles... we'll see.

Until next time... "breathe in, breathe out, move on" 







  

12 comments:

  1. This 55+ community has had young people walking, biking and swimming (even though it was cloudy and cold for several days. Always a sign of spring break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandkids visiting for spring break, right?

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your fur babies are feeling better! Kidneys and thyroid always come to mind first, of course, as well as cancer. My boys are 12.5 and almost 12, respectively, so health issues (theirs and mine!) often are on my mind.

    Have fun in the pottery studio! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost has genetic kidney problems and they do act up on occasion. Tux was diagnosed with some tumors a while back (2017)... but he hasn't had any problems since. They both seem back to their normal selves now.

      Delete
  3. That is a funny picture of a real scaredy cat! Yes, your cats are definitely getting up there in years. I don't do well with disruption, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that pic is funny. Ghost does not like any disruption in her routine. She gets put to bed in our bedroom at 8PM each night... and if we aren't home, she tends to put herself to bed.

      Delete
  4. My cat is 44, on your poster, and I have the house to myself, so it's a geriatric city here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and geriatric cats have the same symptoms we do. Before Rose passed (and she was 23 - that's 108 in human years), she would walk into a room, look around, stand there for a few minutes, then turn around and go back. It was obvious that she forgot what she was doing...

      Delete
  5. It wasn't long ago I had 5 geriatrics, Rian; 15 and up.
    It was like running a nursing home. lol
    Now I have a 10 year old and almost 2 year old. Not the best mix but oh well.
    Enjoy your kitties. I love the oldies. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all sweet, but the geriatric ones (like people) sometimes make you laugh. I guess in some ways it's bitter sweet - funny, but sad (when they try to jump on something but miss). They are learning (like people) that the things they used to do... they can't anymore. But we give them lots of love and attention - and try to make what time they have left happy and safe.

      Delete
  6. Understand that aging thing. Seems Minnie (16) is the same age as me.
    Hope the throwing up is just normal cat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was, Patti. They both seem to be fine now. And Julie never had a problem.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...