Translate

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Bittersweet...

Put MIL's Pointsettia on the tree

It was given to the DIL's at the grave-site


Writing this post while traveling back to Baton Rouge Sunday morning. DH's mom passed away Friday - not long after my last post. So we're heading back. Hadn't unpacked my luggage from previous trip... so just had to add a few things and go. Kids enroute this time. We are in 4 cars. Thanks to our iPhones we are all communicating while on the road (those of us that are not driving are doing the texting). It's about a 7 - 8 hour drive from Dallas to Baton Rouge depending on traffic... but we hope to be there by evening. 

And I want to thank you for all the kind comments concerning my MIL. She was really a wonderful lady, and she did live a good long life (98). Her boys, their families, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren will miss her.

Obviously I didn't get to catch up on reading blogs Friday as planned.  I am reading some enroute, and I will continue when we return.

-------------

It's now Tuesday and we're back on the road heading home to Dallas. Foggy, but not too bad. The funeral mass was yesterday. The trip from the church in Baton Rouge to the cemetery on the River Road in St. Rose was "an adventure"... (it was raining so hard you could barely see in front of you). It took about an hour and a half.  We were about 10 minutes late, but so was everyone else. And we all arrived safe - thank goodness!

After the service, we all gathered together at family home in Baton Rouge... reminiscing. Family stories were told and the younger ones got an earful - stories about their parents growing up. Sad time, but loved being with the family again. Bittersweet.

As for myself, I learned that even at 70, my bones must be fairly strong as I took a flying fall in the hotel right before we left for the church. Apparently they had just mopped the floor in the lobby hall and when I stepped on it, my legs flew up in the air and I landed on my right hip (hard!). It happened so fast, I was stunned! I'm bruised (both wrists and right leg and hip) - but nothings broken! I'm pretty stiff and sore everywhere due to jarring... but otherwise OK. (Due to the quarter size bruising on both wrists, I'm guessing my wrists helped break the fall). 

BTW, we saw gasoline in Louisiana for $1.65 !

8 comments:

  1. Ouch! Glad you are okay after that hard fall. That's pretty usual for me. I'm glad you're home safe and sound now, though, and that it was a good service. 98 is really up there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rian, I'm sorry to read about your MIL. Thankfully you all made it there safe and sound. This will be a bittersweet Christmas, for sure. Take care of yourself and I hope you heal up fast. I know what it's like to fall hard. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my what a difficult few days you have had. It's too bad that so many families only manage to get together at funerals. What with people living so spread out around the country I guess it's inevitable.

    Hope your aches and bruises vanish quickly and that you have a happy Christmas despite them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My deepest condolences to you all on the passing of your husband's mom. Even though she was 98, she still was his *mom*, a grandma, great-grandma, etc. Bittersweet indeed. Soft purrs from Nicki and Derry to you all too.

    Very glad you didn't break any bones in that fall! Yikes!

    We hope you'll have a good holiday in spite of the circumstances. Wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for your loss. Sounds as though your MIL had a life and family worth celebrating. And, yes, so bittersweetly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to gather and reminisce on the life and times gone. It connects the past to the present. Falls are tough. After a few I found myself thinking carefully about where I placed my fee. And broke my arm, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw, so very sorry, insult to injury falling hope your aches go quickly. Best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting back to blog reading after a long absence and very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. It's always hard to lose a loved one, but somehow even harder so close to Christmas. I'm very glad you fall didn't break anything, but send my sympathy for the stiffness and bruises,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...