Translate

Sunday, December 6, 2015

quiet Sunday...


Krispie Kreme Donuts!!



OK, I'm not a donut person... BUT... hot, fresh-baked Krispie Kreme donuts are hard to resist! And this morning, we didn't.  As you can see, 3 are already missing. DH had 2, I had one, but will have another before the morning is out. I guess we will have to make it up the rest of the week... perhaps by walking more and eating salad?  (whatever... they are really good and worth it)

We did get the tree decorated... mostly. Lights and ornaments are on, but may need a little more red trim...




Ghost checking out tree

And we did put out a red wood box with "Merry Christmas!" on it on the front porch and filled it with hay... for any feral visitors who might need a place to rest. And since we had a few days of 30 F temps, we put the heat lamps out on the back porch.

I ordered our Christmas cards, and sent out a few packages, but am still behind on some things. Hope to get to Christmas baking next week. 

Concerning my pottery, the soap dishes came out fine, and I'm OK with my leaf vase, but my cat sculpture blew up in the kiln... at least that's what I was told. It didn't actually blow up, but cracked in several places and although the instructor put it on the shelf so I could see it Saturday, it disappeared Friday. Things do tend to disappear off the shelves at the studio as there are tons of people around taking classes and anyone can walk through. 


soap dishes


leaf vase
clay critters  - these have been blackbirded... and are being fired one final time

Well, that's about the news here on my home-front. I'm hoping to keep Christmas low key and 'kind'... if that makes any sense. We don't have a lot of money to spend and really, most of us don't need anything. We're not rich financially, but we're plenty rich when it comes to family and love.

Love the idea of "pay it forward" and ever since someone insisted on giving us $20 a few years ago to help feed the feral cats (which we do anyway), we've tried to pass it on. This year we gave to both our SPCA as well as one in Ontario, Canada (thank you Natalie)... and I like the idea of tipping $20 (even if your meal didn't cost that) around Christmas for all those who have to work long hours during the holidays. It's a little thing, but...





Have a great week!



17 comments:

  1. Kind sounds like a wonderful way o spend the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful soap dishes and vase. Sorry we didn't get to see the cat; I like your sculpting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I will post a pic of the unfinished piece. It wasn't great, but I used Ghost (fat grey cat) as a model. However, I made the ears too big. Then DH and I decided that we kind of liked them big, so we left them and called the piece "Airplane ears".

      Delete
  3. Your tree is lovely! I think you're doing well in the Christmas preparation department. You have a lot to do, whereas I don't, so it's easier for me to be organized. :-)

    Too bad about your cat sculpture. Your soap dishes and vase look terrific!

    Paying it forward is wonderful -- people *do* remember the kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the soap dishes for Christmas gifts. I'm going to add some home-made soap and a hand-knitted washcloth to make a little gift set - just as something extra to add to friends' gifts. My daughter has already told me she wants the vase, and also wants me to make her one about 3 times that size for some huge sunflowers she bought. Don't know what I'll do with the little critters... but will probably make more as they are fun to do.
      I think people remember kindness... at least I sure do.

      Delete
  4. What a shame about your cat 'blowing up', but the other pieces are looking good. I think your tree looks great, I haven't even got mine out of the garage yet :( but this week I am not adding anything into the week, just going to do things like wrap parcels, decorate tree and family things.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel... and was so glad that my classes are over so there's more time to relax and enjoy the season. And I really enjoy my classes, but right now need time to be at home.

      Delete
  5. Oh Krispy Kremes are to die for and freshly baked is an added bonus. Unfortunately, they go down way too quickly and another one is needed to totally quench the craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know,Vic, when they're fresh made and warm they just sort of dissolve in your mouth...

      Delete
  6. Holding my fingers in a cross in front of the computer screen to keep the image of those donuts out of my sight. I will pay it forward today, in honor of your suggestion. It's such a good idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just stronger than the rest of us, DJan. BTW, does that cross thing work?

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about Christmas and giving. Be kind... this does not require money. Also, most of us have more than we need and a lot of money spent on Christmas gifts is hard on a family's finances when a simple , thoughtful gift will go much further and touch the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Kathy. We should always be kind... but Christmas seems to make people more aware of the importance of this virtue.

      Delete
  8. You have a nicely decorated tree. I like the quote by Mother Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I`m so charmed by Ghost checking out your tree. Such a sweet photo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...